Connecting to Repeater

PuddlePirate

Question

Completely confused Newbie here!

I recently purchased a MXT275 and Radioddity GM-30 and am trying to connect with the Diamond Point Repeater near Payson, AZ.  Info indicates the freq 462.575/467.575 (no tones indicated).

I hear strong tfc on CH16 (MXT) and RPT-2 (GM-30).  I also receive the repeater indentifier both voice and morse code on both radios. Should I be transmitting on CH 16rp (MXT) and RPT-2 (GM30) and would I (assumming someone hears me) be answered on the same channels as I'm transmitting on?

Thanks,

Tim

WSAC215

Here are the instructions for setting tones in the Midland MXT275

To select a Privacy Code:

1. Press and release the Menu button to a place the radio in “Menu” mode.

2. Use the Volume Up or Volume Down button to scroll through the menu

options until the LCD display shows Pt, then press the

Lock button.

3. Use the Volume Up or Volume Down button to select the privacy tone

type you would like to use: oF, Ct, or dC

4. Press the Lock button to confirm your selection.

The (for CTCSS) or (for DCS) icon will show on the LCD

display, according to your selection

5. Use the Volume Up or Volume Down button to scroll forward or back-

ward through the available Privacy Codes until the desired Privacy Code

is shown on the LCD display.

NOTE: DCS Privacy Codes 100-104 are shown on the LCD display as

A0-A4.

NOTE: Selecting a Privacy Code of “oF” will disable the Privacy feature.

6. When the desired Privacy Code is shown on the LCD display, press

the Lock Button to confirm your selection. YOU MUST PRESS THE LOCK

BUTTON TO CONFIRM YOUR SELECTION OR THE PRIVACY CODE WILL NOT BE

CHANGED

NOTE: If you select a CTCSS Privacy Code, any pre-selected DCS

Privacy Code will be cancelled, and vice-versa.

53 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

Here are the instructions for setting tones in the Midland MXT275

Yes, but if you are on a repeater channel on the mxt275, the Pt option is not available. For repeater options for codes, it has tc and rc. Separate transmit and receive codes. I have tried setting it different ways. Setting tc->ct->22 (chart in instrustions shows this to be 141.3), rc off. Then tried rc->ct->22 with tc off. Then I tried tc and rc both set to ct and 22. Neither will allow it to hit the repeater. I even tried it with both set to off. But again, the pt option does not show up on my mxt275 while on a repeater channel. When I'm on a repeater channel and go into the menu, mine looks like screenshot I've attached. 

menu.png

ok, so I setup a test with a spectrum analyzer. I at least know that the mxt275 is transmitting and transmitting on the correct freq. but there are two things that I do not know. One is if the antenna system is working properly and if the transmit tone code is set properly. I will be able to test the antenna system tomorrow as my swr/power meter and new antenna should be here then. Hopefully its just the antenna system because I've looked and looked at the settings until I'm crosseyed to make sure everything is setup proper. This was the reason I bought this radio. It was supposed to be simple and straight forward to setup and so far, I've only lost hair over it, lol.

33 minutes ago, WSAE637 said:

ok, so I setup a test with a spectrum analyzer. I at least know that the mxt275 is transmitting and transmitting on the correct freq. but there are two things that I do not know. One is if the antenna system is working properly and if the transmit tone code is set properly. I will be able to test the antenna system tomorrow as my swr/power meter and new antenna should be here then. Hopefully its just the antenna system because I've looked and looked at the settings until I'm crosseyed to make sure everything is setup proper. This was the reason I bought this radio. It was supposed to be simple and straight forward to setup and so far, I've only lost hair over it, lol.

If you have another handheld just set it up to receive on the repeater input frequency and CTCSS. And then go a distance away so you don’t get desensed. 

2 hours ago, Sshannon said:

If you have another handheld just set it up to receive on the repeater input frequency and CTCSS. And then go a distance away so you don’t get desensed. 

For some unexplained reason it is working now.  I just got off from work so I took the unit and put it back in the truck and hooked it up. I didn't change anything and it has decided to work. I've no clue as to what is different but it will now key the repeater up and I had a co-worker to monitor my HT as I did a test call with the midland and it came through. So I'm perplexed but not going to look a gift horse in the mouth as they say around here.

Thank you to everyone that tried to help me with this. It is very much appreciated!!