Connecting to Repeater

PuddlePirate

Question

Completely confused Newbie here!

I recently purchased a MXT275 and Radioddity GM-30 and am trying to connect with the Diamond Point Repeater near Payson, AZ.  Info indicates the freq 462.575/467.575 (no tones indicated).

I hear strong tfc on CH16 (MXT) and RPT-2 (GM-30).  I also receive the repeater indentifier both voice and morse code on both radios. Should I be transmitting on CH 16rp (MXT) and RPT-2 (GM30) and would I (assumming someone hears me) be answered on the same channels as I'm transmitting on?

Thanks,

Tim

WSAC215

35 minutes ago, PuddlePirate said:

Does that mean I would transmit on CH 16rp, then have to listen on standard CH 16?

No the repeater channel is already set up to transmit on 467 and receive of 462. That is the +5 off set built into the repeater channels that are pre set up.  Either you’re not close enough to the repeater or your tones are not set up correctly.   Are you using software on the computer or face programming the radios.  You may need to ask permission and get the tones from the owner.   It’s rare for a repeater to not Atleast input tones.  

41 minutes ago, PuddlePirate said:

Does that mean I would transmit on CH 16rp, then have to listen on standard CH 16?

As mentioned, you transmit and receive with your radio set to a repeater channel. Make sure you are on a repeater channel and also that you have any tones set correctly.

20 hours ago, PuddlePirate said:

Completely confused Newbie here!

I recently purchased a MXT275 and Radioddity GM-30 and am trying to connect with the Diamond Point Repeater near Payson, AZ.  Info indicates the freq 462.575/467.575 (no tones indicated).

I hear strong tfc on CH16 (MXT) and RPT-2 (GM-30).  I also receive the repeater indentifier both voice and morse code on both radios. Should I be transmitting on CH 16rp (MXT) and RPT-2 (GM30) and would I (assumming someone hears me) be answered on the same channels as I'm transmitting on?

Thanks,

Tim

WSAC215

Hey Tim...I too am a puddle pirate I don't have any good answers for you here.

19 hours ago, PuddlePirate said:

Actually, I can see the repeater tower, line of site approx 6 miles. All info on that repeater does not list any tones. So, I'm confused.

I see an input tone on the repeater page. It also looks like a separate input for linked access which is mentioned in info below the map. More importantly what’s a puddle pirate? 😀

28 minutes ago, PuddlePirate said:

I have not ye tfigured out how to reply to individual answers to my question, so a thanks to all who have helped me.

to WRUU653, "Puddle Pirate" is a sarcastic name for the coast guard (served from 1969 to 1975) as well as "shallow water sailor" it's taken in good humor🙂

At the bottom of each post is the word "quote".  Click on that and you will have a reply window that includes the message you're replying to in a quote box, like above.

It's been a long time since I heard the term puddle pirate. 🤣 We were usually too busy giving the Air Force, Navy, and Marines trouble that we would forget to pick on the Coasties. And yes you can give me trouble about being a round ponder, glorified grunt with a shovel (combat engineer) and jumping out of perfectly good airplanes since you served also.

And I will give you a little bit more trouble. You have to remember the 10% rule - you have to be 10% smarter than what you are trying to operate.

On subject. Yes make sure you are on the repeater channels. They will be labeled as RPT15 through RPT22 on most radios or might be labeled as Channels 23-30 on some radios. Those channels will automatically set the proper offset so that you can talk to and hear the repeaters. And make sure to set the tones correctly if needed.

Don't be afraid to ask for help as there are plenty of people willing to assist new people.

1 hour ago, WRYZ926 said:

It's been a long time since I heard the term puddle pirate. 🤣 We were usually too busy giving the Air Force, Navy, and Marines trouble that we would forget to pick on the Coasties. And yes you can give me trouble about being a round ponder, glorified grunt with a shovel (combat engineer) and jumping out of perfectly good airplanes since you served also.

And I will give you a little bit more trouble. You have to remember the 10% rule - you have to be 10% smarter than what you are trying to operate.

On subject. Yes make sure you are on the repeater channels. They will be labeled as RPT15 through RPT22 on most radios or might be labeled as Channels 23-30 on some radios. Those channels will automatically set the proper offset so that you can talk to and hear the repeaters. And make sure to set the tones correctly if needed.

Don't be afraid to ask for help as there are plenty of people willing to assist new people.

Got my GM-30 set, now going program the MXT. Thx

Hey guys. I have a question similar to this one. I just got an MX275 and trying to set it up with some repeaters. I've only tried to setup on one repeater thus far because I've been unsuccessful so far. The repeater I an trying to setup on curretly has a RX of 462.725 which means the TX should be 467.725 after the +5 offset. They have a transmit CTC of 141.3 with no receive CTC. So I setup my MTX as follows:

Went into the menu and set the rP option to on hit the lock button to save.

went back into the menu after setting the radio to 22-rp as that is what the manual says 462.725 is at and set the tC option to Ct with a value of 22 as that is what the manual says equates to 141.3. Hit the lock button to save.

Left the rC option set to off.

Went back in the menu and verified those settings were saved and then tried to transmit. I have a handheld that I have setup that works fine with this repeater and the other 2 I plan on setting up once I figure this out. Transmit did not work. Nothing on the handheld and the repeater didn't kick either. Verified the settings once more and they were there. I then factory reset the radio and set it back up all over again with the same results. If I go to any of the FRS channels, it will transmit and can be heard through the hand held so I'm convinced I've missed something along the way and would greatly appreciate any help for this new GMRS user.

I forgot to mention that when pressing the ptt, the mtx looks and acts as if it is transmitting, but the handheld shows no evidence of it.  And like I said, it does transmit on the simples channels ok, just not the repeater channel that I have configured at the moment.

Yes, I did turn on the repeater setting. That was the first thing I did. When I changed the tc setting for 141.3 I had to make sure I was on channel 22-rp. 

as far as I can find there is no way in the 275 to turn on/off narrow/wide band. I read that if it has the R9 firmware, it sets repeater channels to wide band on its own. During the reset, I confirmed it had the R9 firmware.

Now that I’m home, I tried in another repeater. Same settings, just using 462.575 instead on 462.725. And it does the same. I’m beginning to think it maybe this dinky antenna that comes with the radio. I’ve got a better antenna and new cable that uses rg58 instead of the rg174 that comes on the stock in box antenna. I’m thinking that since it will transmit simplex that on a repeater channel, it’s not making it to the repeater to get back to me. It may not work that way, I’m not sure. But I’ll have a new antenna and an swr meter Friday to test with and see what it’s doing. Just wish I got the meter with the frequency counter now lol

For the one repeater, rx is 462.725 for the other, it’s 462.525. Two different repeaters two different locations. They use the same tx ct code of 141.3 though. On the midland one is channel 16 and the other 22 in the repeater channels. The transmit would be +5 offset or 467.725 and 467.525 respectively.

The antenna is mag mount on top center on my work truck roof. Routed down the back side of the cab and into the cab through a grommet underneath. Then over to the other side of the cab and up to the front so I wouldn’t have to roll any slack cable up.

What mode did you select for the squelch tone? To set the radio so it transmits tone only you need the mode as TONE with no receive tone. If you set the mode to TSQL the radio automagically assigns the transmit tone to the receive.