Rockland County New York: Why is Mark Levin's show playing on ch20?

Guest Steele

Guest Steele

Hi,

I recently got my first radio. It's just a FRS walkie-talkie, but I've been having fun with it. Just checking the different channels, seeing what's going on around me. I don't think anyone is in my range to hear me though.

I can hear a repeater on ch 20, however. It seem to be a bit of a mess though, with music, dial up modem tones, and most recently, Mark Levin. Sometimes I can hear actual people, but more often than not, at least when I'm checking, it's a complete mess. Does anyone know what's happening? Anyone in the area? Is this jamming?

I'm in Rockland county NY, near the Palisades.

Guest Steele

Thanks for the reply! That's unfortunate. There's really nothing that can be done about it? From what I can tell, the jammer guy is targeting a retired man who likes to talk to people on that repeater. Keeps messing with him.

32 minutes ago, Guest Steele said:

Thanks for the reply! That's unfortunate. There's really nothing that can be done about it? From what I can tell, the jammer guy is targeting a retired man who likes to talk to people on that repeater. Keeps messing with him.

Actually, there is.  Contact the local ham club, tell them about the interference. See if they will help find the location of the jammer and then turn it in to the FCC.

1 hour ago, BoxCar said:

It can be reported to the FCC as an intentional interference but the person being targeted would have a better chance of getting action than another user being blocked from the channel.

I don’t agree. It doesn’t matter who is being targeted; a channel is being blocked. Interference is interference. Broadcasting and playing music are also violations. 

While the regulations agree with you, human nature would give more weight to the person being directly targeted. Showing the interference happened every time or most of the time they keyed up would show the interference being targeted rather than generally being the south end of a north bound donkey which carries more impact.