What is the best commercial radio for GMRS use?

55 minutes ago, UpperBucks said:

What's amazing to me is that more GMRS radios don't offer a bluetooth-based companion app for the occasional tweaking of settings that are a PITA from a front keypad; stuff like CTCSS/DCS in particular. 462.600 has at least 4 different repeaters in my general area, each with different tone combinations, and there's a 625 repeater that just came up with another CTCSS code. 90% of the time, all I need is PTT and a preconfigured "Channel" - but when that other 10% happens and the laptop is back home, keypad programming for ALL of the GMRS (and Ham) radios out there is an exercise in frustration.

NX-5K allows you to program a single button to turn on OST (operator selectable tone), then holding that button brings up the OST list, scroll down and that's it. Now, that's not Part95, and it's a $980 option per deck, but many of the commercial manufacturers have it figure out, just not by using bluetooth.

6 hours ago, tweiss3 said:

NX-5K allows you to program a single button to turn on OST (operator selectable tone), then holding that button brings up the OST list, scroll down and that's it. Now, that's not Part95, and it's a $980 option per deck, but many of the commercial manufacturers have it figure out, just not by using bluetooth.

Some of my radios have the OST feature programmed to a button on the radio. What sucks is the tone list is limited to 38. That’s enough for analog PL’s but sort of useless for digital squelch codes. 

On 1/30/2024 at 2:10 PM, WRYS709 said:

TID-Radio offers a K-1 plug in dongle and Bluetooth App that works with a limited number of HTs. 

https://tidradio.com/products/high-performance-handheld-radio-wireless-cable-programmer

Yeah, that's the same electronics as bluetooth earbuds stuffed into a physical adapter that fits a Kenwood-style Mic/Speaker jack. I'm taking about something literally built into the radio - a companion app for the hardware - that the device itself has. For example, I have a Brother P-Touch model 610. I can do various label-design things directly on the device, but they also have a phone app that gives me more options for label layouts, more control over the fonts, sizes and so on. the printer pairs with the phone - no cables, no dongles - and you get a bigger screen and keyboard to fine-tune deep settings or bulk edit settings.

I guess it would add $2 to the cost of the radio to implement....and with the price competition as it is, that's not gonna happen.

At least we have Chirp and clunky cables....well, unless you're on Radio Oddity equipment, in which case you have what looks, feels and works like Chirp, but isn't Chirp.

I get what you are looking for, but GMRS was intended as a business/personal radio service, and as such, the field programming isn't supposed to be a thing (so the typical blockhead can't change to  an unlicensed frequency).

Beyond that, with a  little bit of planning, it's not hard to program things the way you need, even for a cross country trip. Toss in OST and you shouldn't have an issue using any repeater you have access to.

38 minutes ago, UpperBucks said:

For example, I have a Brother P-Touch model 610. I can do various label-design things directly on the device, but they also have a phone app that gives me more options for label layouts, more control over the fonts, sizes and so on. the printer pairs with the phone - no cables, no dongles - and you get a bigger screen and keyboard to fine-tune deep settings or bulk edit settings.

I am not sure that Part 95E allows for a "combo" GMRS/label maker radio... 🤣

So ive used a lot of radios in my time for work purposes, and all my ham equipment is yaesu radios, we are going to purchase 6 GM 30  today, we had 2 for trail on ranch work and i highly  recommend them $29 comfortable for work antenna supplied.

why i mentioned the ham radios, is that  i would not normally look at anything under $200  

9 hours ago, WSAN654 said:

So ive used a lot of radios in my time for work purposes, and all my ham equipment is yaesu radios, we are going to purchase 6 GM 30  today, we had 2 for trail on ranch work and i highly  recommend them $29 comfortable for work antenna supplied.

why i mentioned the ham radios, is that  i would not normally look at anything under $200  

As a happy GM-30 owner, we have TWO.  I highly suggest you get the programming cable, AND up buy the higher gain RD-232 antenna. 

Have fun! 

On 2/1/2024 at 8:10 PM, JoCoBrian said:

As a happy GM-30 owner, we have TWO.  I highly suggest you get the programming cable, AND up buy the higher gain RD-232 antenna. 

Have fun! 

best place to buy that cable please and i will look up that antenna 

I`m a Kenwood fan. Mobile wise, I started with the tk-863, its a good base choice for a mobile radio on the cheap but doesn't have the OST option. I still have two of them put up for potential future use. Depending on how you program it it's quite versatile. but I moved over to the tk-8180 k2 (the K2, 400-470mhz) and it's fantastic. its extremely versatile. OST, massive channel capacity (so far I have 7 states worth of specific repeaters programmed in and labeled by location and I`ve barely made a dent in its capacity), with a DTMF mic I have all my controls at my fingertips... all the standard pl tones in one selectable list (40 available)for oddball situations. hi/low power, wide and narrow band capability, and with the band limits, I can monitor 70CM and local business if I choose. And the software/cables are EASY to get/ Bluemax49er on Ebay sells the good/right stuff for 30 ish bucks, and I'll verify that the software for both listed radios runs on win 11.  there is a learning cure, but there always is. mine are 30 watt, but if you get the HK versions you get 45 watts. but I tend to nerd out and it's a lot of fluff (in a good way). Anyhoo, just my 2 cents. best of luck to you! 

pic below

863 left 8180 right

IMG_20240221_161850~2.jpg

4 hours ago, WRZP493 said:

but I moved over to the tk-8180 k2 (the K2, 400-470mhz)

Most of the Kenwood radios are the 450 to 490 range, or the 450 to 520 range. Those might even have Part 95 certification on the older models.

The 400 to 470 range is sort of rare. If you do find any it’s commonly on the digital radios, and occasionally on the analog only models. Also I’ve never seen the 400 to 470 range radios certified for Part 95.

I’m also mainly a Kenwood guy too.

https://forums.mygmrs.com/gallery/image/249-934916052_radiocollectionjpg/?context=new

On 2/21/2024 at 8:52 PM, Lscott said:

Most of the Kenwood radios are the 450 to 490 range, or the 450 to 520 range. Those might even have Part 95 certification on the older models.

The 400 to 470 range is sort of rare. If you do find any it’s commonly on the digital radios, and occasionally on the analog only models. Also I’ve never seen the 400 to 470 range radios certified for Part 95.

I’m also mainly a Kenwood guy too.

https://forums.mygmrs.com/gallery/image/249-934916052_radiocollectionjpg/?context=new

I lucked out and snagged a couple for a great price, Had it not been for the frequency spread I'd not have bought them, and I'd have regretted it. they're a fantastic rig.

5 hours ago, WRZP493 said:

I lucked out and snagged a couple for a great price, Had it not been for the frequency spread I'd not have bought them, and I'd have regretted it. they're a fantastic rig.

If I have a choice I typical go for the 400MHz to 470MHz range since most of my usage is Ham so that covers the full band. It's also usable on GMRS, but as I mentioned before they're not certified for Part 95, but typically for Part 90 of course.

When looking for used commercial grade radios there are several things I'll do before dropping my money on one.

1. Look up the manufacture's brochure to see what features the radio has, namely number of channels, display type, frequency ranges etc. You might decide at this point it doesn't look so appealing.

2. Look up the FCC ID's, usually on the manufactures brochures. Check to see what the certifications are for the radio, tested power levels, modulation types and frequency ranges. You need the FCC ID to verify what you're trying to buy or bid on. I frequently find sellers who get the model name wrong or frequency range wrong in the ad description. The FCC ID doesn't lie.

3. Check and see if the programming software is obtainable. This is a big one. Sometimes it almost impossible to find. If I can't get the software the idea is dead right there. It doesn't matter how good the radio is. Commercial radios are basically useless without the programming software, you REALLY need it.

4. Most commercial radios are firmware up-gradable. Chances are the one you're interested in will need a firmware update to make it compatible with the recent radio programming software release.

5. Are important accessories like battery packs, chargers, programming cables, microphones, power cables etc. easy and cheaply available? There are some nice used radios out there but battery packs are almost unobtainable as an example.

6. Then I go looking for the documentation for the radio. Important things like user manuals, service manuals, any programming tips etc.

7. Then it comes down to just how much you want to spend. Some sellers price the radios like they are gold plated. The worse offenders are sellers of digital radios with P25 being at the top of the list. In general it seems that the VHF gear sells for a premium compared to the UHF stuff. 

On 2/4/2024 at 7:31 PM, WSAN654 said:

best place to buy that cable please and i will look up that antenna 

The Antenna is RD-332 no RD 232....Radioddity web site has the cable and the antenna and the free programming software. 

On 2/28/2024 at 4:22 PM, Adamdaj said:

A good Commercial to use for GMRS. I use my Connet Systems CS-800 and 800D. I realize they aren't Typed Accepted, but they do the job when needed. I rather have a CDM series or Maxtrac, but finding an older DOS PC is hard to come by.

The CDM series radios were programmed by CPS and not RSS thus a 32-bit XP operating system is required. As for having a DOS machine for the older model radios, I had a Pendium XP laptop reconfigured as a DOS with DOS 6.2 and it works great for my HT1000, MT2000, and Visar radios. However, the clock speed is too fast for Analog Sabers, and the various Radius model radios. The RSS goes through the motion of reading the codeplug but will not save the codeplug file after the read.