Mapping The Tri-State Area

WSAH452

54 minutes ago, WRUE951 said:

you trying to map it in KML or KMZ?  if so,, I've already done it..  

I'm Mapping out the the whole Eastern Seaboard and there is 1248 GMRS Repeaters From as far North as Rode Island all the way south to Florida
That all 17 states on the east coast 

14 hours ago, gortex2 said:

To bad many of them are not in existence.

I'm Kinda new at this as well And according this site there are 485 Repeaters in the Tri-State alone

But if you include the Entire Eastern Seaboard , There's 1248 repeaters Listed on this site

From as far North as Rhode Island all the way South to Florida

The main issue with this site as well as others is its all about user input. Its up to a user to add, edit and modify or delete the site based on its use. Many come here get all excited list a repeater and never put one on the air. Others put them up, find out it doesn't meet expectations and leave the site and don't remove them. At one point some on the site said to list it before they even had equipment which isn't the best route. To me until a repeater is up, operational and tested you shouldn't put info online. JMHO. But in the end its all about user input. 

Lastly I run 6 repeaters along the east coast and none are listed here or anywhere else. They are all repeaters for my and my family use so no need to list them. 

1 hour ago, gortex2 said:

The main issue with this site as well as others is its all about user input. Its up to a user to add, edit and modify or delete the site based on its use. Many come here get all excited list a repeater and never put one on the air. Others put them up, find out it doesn't meet expectations and leave the site and don't remove them. At one point some on the site said to list it before they even had equipment which isn't the best route. To me until a repeater is up, operational and tested you shouldn't put info online. JMHO. But in the end its all about user input. 

Lastly I run 6 repeaters along the east coast and none are listed here or anywhere else. They are all repeaters for my and my family use so no need to list them. 

The forum administrator says he purges out repeaters on an annual bases that do not make updates to their repeater database... Based on my observation of the database, i see quite a bit of people creating a new  (duplicate) repeater for the same coordinagtes and the administrtor does not remove the duplicates... Either the administrator is sloppy at maintaining databases or he wants to exploit the number of active people with repeaters..  I suspect the later..  Some of you guys obviously have figured out how to obtain the repeater database and i'm sure you can see the slopy details.   I don't think it's about being lazy because databases are extremely easy to maintain.    I agree with you, there seems to be a lot of folks creating repeaters and never activating them..  I also see people creating repeaters then months later they create another with the same data, perhaps those people are trying to reserve repeater channels in anticipation of getting theirs fired up.  If i was administrating this site, i would flag all duplicates and have the database send out an auto email advising those person to update their data and remove duplicates or it will be done within a certain period of time...    Repeaterbook.com seems to do a really good job listing HAM repeater sites, maintaining their data  and also has listings for GMRS but the GMRS crowd does not use them..  I wish folks would chose them as preference because they really offer a lot more to the users..  Mapping repeater sites  is pretty easy there, not to hard here,, but not as accurate.  

6 hours ago, WSAH452 said:

I'm Kinda new at this as well And according this site there are 485 Repeaters in the Tri-State alone

But if you include the Entire Eastern Seaboard , There's 1248 repeaters Listed on this site

From as far North as Rhode Island all the way South to Florida

these are the numbers i pull out for NY, NJ and PA..  and this represents site data.  

NY_NJ_CT_PA.jpg

Rich doesn't remove listings from the site. After 1 year of no updates it gets "hidden" on the map unless you click on stale and offline repeaters. It would be great if they dropped after 1 year completely from the site with no interaction as I'm sure many would disappear. Folks don't use repeater book as that's primarily a ham site. Most hams keep stuff up to date but I can tell you many are not valid there either. I'm sure both sites have good info for certain areas but none are perfect. Even LMR licensed stuff may or may not be on the air for a particular license.