Sharing receipes

WRKC935

Per a discussion on the MidWest system the other day, here are a few recipes that I discussed.  Feel free to add to the post with your own favorites.

Foil bags

Pound of raw shrimp pealed and devined

pound of smoked sausage sliced

red skin potatoes

corn on the cob broken in half ears

Butter (full stick cut up)

Old Bay seasoning to taste (I like a lot)

Place ingredients in double layered foil envelope (foil folded in half and rolled shut then a second layer on it over top the first).

cook on grill until potatoes are done.

Can also be made in dutch oven in a stove

Turn foil bags half way through cooking.  I cook this between 350 and 400 in the grill or stove.  Attention needs paid to it after 15 or so minutes to keep from burning it. 

Cook until potatoes are getting soft.

Sausage 'Stew'  No idea on real name.  It's just really good.

Cavenders Seasoning.  Probably 2 tablespoons, but the more the merrier.

pound of smoked sausage  Sliced

Red skin potatoes cubed to 3/4 size

Red or Orange pepper

corn on the cob broken to half ears

one 2 liter of root beer or Dr Pepper  Original recipe called for 1 or two cans and the rest water.  Don't bother with that.  Use the FULL 2 liter.  Enough liquid to cover the contents for boiling

Combine ingredients and light boil until potatoes are almost mashing soft.  Serve in bowls.

Obrien Potato's (or my take on it)

3/4 sized cubed potatoes, enough to fill a 12 inch cast iron skillet half way up

1 pound breakfast sausage

green pepper (I do half of one) cut into small pieces

half a yellow onion cut into small pieces

Brown sausage,  I tend to hold back enough sausage for 4 small patties, but that's my preference.  Break sausage into smallest pieces possible with spatula.

Brown / cook potatoes in olive oil with Paprika (enough to lightly cover cubed potato's) garlic, salt and pepper to taste

While those are cooking, cut up onion and green pepper.  These need added just as potato's are starting to soften and brown.  At that point add the onion and green pepper.

Add browned sausage to potato's and stir it all together.

serve with a sausage patty on top

This one is a staple for us.  I make this for breakfast or dinner. 

BTW, if I am posting it here, I make it in cast iron.  But then again, i only use cast iron skillets to cook in.  Sauce pans are the normal stuff but my skillets are all cast.  I rarely cook in anything else.

1 hour ago, WRKC935 said:

I make it in cast iron.

I don't have specific recipes to add here, because I have too many saved, but I do have probably a hundred pounds of cast iron, some of it over 100 years old, and I use it every chance I get for potatoes, cornbread, buttermilk biscuits, sausage links, bacon, Italian sausage and bratwurst, banana bread muffins, you name it. Once you figure out how to use it, cast iron is a game changer.