TPL repeater amp

cdlale

Question

9 answers to this question

I picked up DXradio/RF Tech uhf repeater. It has a 100 watt TPL repeater amp. The amp rating is 8-15 watts in,70-100 out. If I set it for 50 watts out will I have any issues like the amp putting out spurs and the like?

Thanks

If the repeater power setting is manually adjustable by the end user, lowering the power should not create a problem. But, the only way to know for sure is to have it bench checked by a competent tech with the right equipment.

I have it set right now at 55 watts going into my service monitor. I have to make up a extension cable to move the transmitter out of the rack so get to transmitter's rf output pot. All the repeater modules plug into the cage with db25 connectors. I paid $50.00 each for 2 repeaters. One 100 watt and a 25 watt repeater.

Your really just taking the power transistors and saturating them. They could pull more current (and thus build more heat) or it may not do anything. Just something you really have to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have several TPL amps and stand behind them 100% if used per the manufacture directions and engineering limits.  From experience I have found if you under drive most TPL amps it can cause issues with adjacent channel interference, possible cycling of the amp or high swr to the TX radio.

Not sure if he knew. But he was selling cheap. A rack mount Bird watt meter with 2 slugs went for 25.00. A Zetron 38A went for 5.00. The 2 repeaters I got worked. I have them both programmed on GMRS. I could have used the Zetron. I dont care too much of the Connect systems TP154 that I am using. Its designed to id 5 sec after bringing up the repeater. The 5 sec timer will reset every time the repeater drops.

Guest spd641

Not sure if he knew. But he was selling cheap. A rack mount Bird watt meter with 2 slugs went for 25.00. A Zetron 38A went for 5.00. The 2 repeaters I got worked. I have them both programmed on GMRS. I could have used the Zetron. I dont care too much of the Connect systems TP154 that I am using. Its designed to id 5 sec after bringing up the repeater. The 5 sec timer will reset every time the repeater drops.

cdale,

I could really use some  programming advice with the TP 154 when you get time,just shoot me a private message...William

My best advice for programming the TP154 is to plug a touch tone phone into the programming port on the back of the controller and use the phone keypad for programing. With the manual in front of you,write down the commands you need to program into it on a separate piece of paper and program in order the steps you have written down. Also the watch the led display on the front of the controller to see your progress. Don't do your initial programing via a dtmf radio. You can use the radio later for small things like turning PLs on or off(repeater knock down). The controller will id in 5 seconds every time the the repeater is brought up. There's no way to change that. Currently I am using a Zetron 38A controller. I have the TP154 on my spare repeater. Programing the TP154 is not to bad.