Mobile GMRS Radio?

WSAA635

Now that I have my HT's sorted out I'd like to add a radio to my truck. I'd like something that could replace my current AM/FM radio since I really never listen to it and if I did want to listen to a local FM station I'm sure I could use the GMRS radio like I do with my HT. I'd like it to be able to scan 460MHz(DPS/Highway Patrol) channels so I can keep track of what's going on while driving.  

I plan on using my factory antenna location on my truck for the new radio's antenna location so I'll not have to make any new holes. 

Does anything like this exist? Is there a radio that'll do this without breaking the bank? Thanks.  

6 minutes ago, WSAA635 said:

I'd like it to be able to scan 460MHz(DPS/Highway Patrol) channels so I can keep track of what's going on while driving. 

Now days most of the public safety stuff has moved to 700/800 MHz and typical is digital, P25, and maybe using encryption. You may find a few cities that have remained on 450 to 470 MHz narrow FM. There is a lot less to monitor. I have seen some movement where legislation is being proposed to at least prohibit encryption on the public safety frequencies. That's likely to go nowhere.

First, assuming I got your location correctly, TN now is all on 700/800 P25PhII statewide. With one single exception, you aren't going to be able to monitor that with a radio, and it won't be certified for GMRS. 

Next, in dash mounts, you can look at Troy, Havis or Gamble Johnson for face plates for your chosen radio, but it may involve some work. That being said, Troy makes overhead consoles for all current pickup trucks: https://troyproducts.com/public-safety/consoles/?swoof=1&product_cat=overhead-console. A floor console is also an option, but beware, consoles are not inexpensive.

Thirdly, for "OEM" location antennas, try Stico: Fender Mount Roof Mount

Lastly, if you want to listen to what is available from public safety (that isn't encrypted), you should look at adding a scanner to your car. I have a SDS200 with GPS in one car, and my truck is a SDS100 with GPS on a cupholder mount. All of these would be able to scan the state systems and listen to what isn't encrypted.

Thanks for the replies.  Here in Arizona DPS is still using 460MHz and I scan the 4 local channels on my HTs all the time. 

I don't have to put the radio in the stock location,  just thought it might be easier that way but my cup holder is messed up so I can't retract it so I have a big hole to mount a radio if I needed too.

As far as antennas, as long as I didn't have to make too many holes I could make a second location for it if I had to. I'm just trying to keep things simple.

CHIRP compatibility would be a big plus and I'm not opposed to a radio I could "unlock"(like with the UV-5R's)in order to get GMRS and even MURS with scan only for 460MHz. I've found a few radios on Amazon,  need to research them a bit more but wanted to get y'alls input too.

Thanks for the replies.  Here in Arizona DPS is still using 460MHz and I scan the 4 local channels on my HTs all the time. 

I don't have to put the radio in the stock location,  just thought it might be easier that way but my cup holder is messed up so I can't retract it so I have a big hole to mount a radio if I needed too.

As far as antennas, as long as I didn't have to make too many holes I could make a second location for it if I had to. I'm just trying to keep things simple.

CHIRP compatibility would be a big plus and I'm not opposed to a radio I could "unlock"(like with the UV-5R's)in order to get GMRS and even MURS with scan only for 460MHz. I've found a few radios on Amazon,  need to research them a bit more but wanted to get y'alls input too.

I was also thinking about this for an antenna. I could mount it on the hood of the truck(passenger side or maybe even center of hood) next to the windshield and run the cable through the firewall where something else goes through so no extra holes. Should work well enough for my needs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TT3HBLP/?coliid=I20EY50CQTVJM6&colid=H0N35ZAP0948&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Ok, so after looking at where the radio will be mounted it looks like something like the RetevisRA86 or BTech 20v2 would work best so that all the controls would be on the hand mic. I'd like more than 20 watts though if I could get it without spending too much. Any ideas?

On 2/14/2024 at 10:53 AM, WSAA635 said:

... and I'm not opposed to a radio I could "unlock"(like with the UV-5R's)in order to get GMRS and even MURS with scan only for 460MHz. I've found a few radios on Amazon,  need to research them a bit more but wanted to get y'alls input too.

Check out the Radioddity DB-20G a/k/a Anytone AT-779UV: 20 watts, mini-mobile, cigarette lighter plug; controls on mic; 500 channels and easily opens to MURS, Ham 2 meters and 70 cms - $99-$109

Right now the RA86 is at the top of my list but it's NOT CHIRP compatible. The BTech 20v2 IS CHIRP compatible so it might work. I just need to do some measuring where I'd planned to put the radio to see if it'll fit. I did give the Anytone AT-778UV a look because it's in CHIRP. Just need to see if it's all on the handset or if I'd need to mount it so I could get to the face of the radio.

Edited by WSAA635
Updated Info.

19 minutes ago, WSAA635 said:

I did give the Anytime AT-778UV a look because it's in CHIRP.

I've been quite happy with my AT-778UV. It's not perfect but it works quite well for the money. The only thing I've found so far that I can't do in CHIRP is change the frequency set. No big deal since I only changed it once and will never change it again.