GMRS antena for mobile radio?

WRXX277

Question

11 answers to this question

20 minutes ago, WRXX277 said:

What’s the best GMRS antenna for a mobile unit? I currently have a Wouxun KG-1000G+ with a Midland MXTA26, but I think my KG-935G+ Rx and Tx better with the original “rubber ducky” antenna, any suggestions? 

This is a tough question because there is no one antenna that's "best". It depends on your circumstances. For me, a little 1/2-wave works best because I use one or two local repeaters. For some, an even shorter 1/4-wave would work, but some people use much longer antennas with higher gain because it suits their situation. Lots of people will make recommendations based on what works for them.  Personally, for my use, my Rugged Radios 1/2-wave Point5 does the job. 

1 hour ago, OffRoaderX said:

That depends on how you define "best" and what is important to you in an antenna.

Well I don’t know a whole lot of the terms when it comes to radio that why I mentioned the radio I’m running, so I was curious to know what other fellow GMRS users use with their radios.
Randy thank you for all the help and knowledge you give when it comes to GMRS, I got into GMRS because of you, love it so far!

4 minutes ago, WRQC527 said:

He's messing with you. Unfortunately. 

Oooh it’s okay, so you mentioned that it depends on the situation and you suggested a 1/2 wave point5, let’s just say if you use it on simplex most of the time the longer the antenna the better?

7 minutes ago, WRXX277 said:

Oooh it’s okay, so you mentioned that it depends on the situation and you suggested a 1/2 wave point5, let’s just say if you use it on simplex most of the time the longer the antenna the better?

Antenna theory is very complex. Instead of getting a bunch of confusing answers here, I suggest researching antennas, gain, antenna types, ground planes, and other antenna-related subjects separately. This is not to put you off, but lots of folks here will inundate you with information.

I use a Midland MXTA26. I used it when I had the KG-1000G installed in my Jeep and I still use it now with my XTL5000. I also have an MXTA26 installed on a cookie-sheet in the window of my office for my KG-1000G+ "Office base station".

The MXTA26 works no better than any other similar 6db antenna, but it comes pre-tuned for GMRS right out of the sack so all you have to do is plug it in and play.