Spotsylvania Fredericksburg Club

WSAQ694

Anyone in the 540 area looking to start a club? I'd like to get a decent repeater for the county so we can have coverage without stepping on anyone else's toes. I guess I'm looking for a group of people who have the "prepper" mentality but also are down to earth and have the same nerdy fascination with GMRS as I do.

-WSAQ694

19 minutes ago, hfd376 said:

There's a repeater in Fredericksburg I think is part of a club. Have you looked into that one?

Another thing to add to this, if there is even an amateur radio club in your area, a lot of those guys usually also run GMRS.

I tried to put a repeater up in Stafford, near the hospital, and the county turned it down. They said I couldn't put up an antenna structure any taller than our building. I couldn't find a commercial site willing to donate tower space. 

I'm not interested in starting a club, but I may be able to spend some resources on getting the repeater up sometime this year. Depending on how much my health improves, of course. 

For the most part, Bull Run (650) and Warrenton (725) serve the Stafford/Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania area fairly well if using 10 watts or more. I have heard some folks in south Stafford and even Spotsylvania hit the Warrenton repeater on a 5 watt H/T at times, if they are in a good (unobstructed higher elevation) location.

There is a private repeater in the south Stafford area that can be raised from at least north Stafford on a H/T, but I rarely hear anybody use that repeater (monitoring all day with a scanner). Other hitable repeaters from north Stafford are DC's (700), Falls Church's (675), and Blue Mountain's (600) - a very good repeater that is hardly used.

There are other repeaters north of me that I can hear very well with the right atmospheric conditions but are not hitable because of my lack of good antenna height and heavily wooded back yard.