BAOFENG GM21 Reviews ?

WSAW678

• 1 month later...

I just received mine (GM21) Friday.....I was curious about the keypad being "normal" with a zero on the bottom with # and * on each side.

It came with a standard duckie and one of those 771s which I don't like. It seems rugged and heavy compared to the uv5G

You need to screw in the battery (and belt clip to the battery) at the back which is made of metal.

So far I have only tested it using another ht to listen to the audio quality

It scans pretty slow, and with win7 I can't use the latest version of chirp so I don't know if I can program any memory channels other than manually.

The display shows only the ch number and frequency in channel mode. I seriously doubt I will use 999 memory slots.

The audio is ok (like any bo fung you need to duplex to find the sweet spot for the mic.)

I used my BNC adaptor for an old business band ht's duckie and the gm21 antenna is on the uv5g

Here is what they look side by side20240331_084103.thumb.jpg.ccc515cf6bc3056432485199d9de4800.jpg

I had the UV-21R version,  looks identical. Had the dark background. I like the display with the large numbers and the number pad being more "normal" with 0 at the bottom.

However,  the display went out after 1 week.  Returned it for replacement.  The replacement had white back ground,  which is the older firmware and the white back ground was harder to see and it had smaller numbers in the display.  I returned.   

Bummer because I like the 999 channels and upload and download to Chirp was way faster than my other Baofengs.

• 1 month later...

After using this GM21 ht for a little while now, I like it - with win 7 I have to use legacy chirp - it will not program the GM21, but BF's software works good enough.

It will receive from 200 to 259.9 too, and that inspired me to go for a uv21 'pro' v2 that will xmit there. In all my 57 years as an amateur op, I've never used 1.25 meters.

They look identical - I doubt I will have a need for 999 memory slots.

Anyone else have a GM21? What do you think of them??

I just got two of these and a friend also got two. I can only receive and I can  transmit. He has the same problem. There is an open repeater in the area. I can hear others chatting thoughout the day. And at one point heard someone about 30 miles away. I can’t hear my friend who is less than 5 miles from me and like wise. I also have another friend on the other side of town who has a baofeng 5g that can hear everything. Just not me. Does this unit need an update or did we both get bad units? New to gmrs and really would like to figure out what if anything is wrong with this radio. I have also tried to do a reset but that seems to do nothing since they are brand new. Thanks in advance

Do you have great line of site?  Anything in the way? 5miles may be on the edge depending on line of sight antenna and frequency disturbances.   As for the repeater same thing plus do you have times set correctly on the proper repeater pair channel?   Myself with a 771 antenna can easily do 30-40 miles with a hand held but I live overlooking a big desert valley.   Te same radio in the city can hit a repeater 30miles away but can o my transmit less then a mile hand held to hand held at ground level.  Just because you can hear someone or a repeater does not mean they can hear you. 

Pretty much where I’m at is flat and repeater isn’t that much more then five miles from me. Repeater is open to public with a coverage of around 60 miles. I have driven around trying to receive or transmit to either of my friends. Neither can hear me. Got two new radios on the way with program cable. If this goes the same way with the new radios, I’ll just put up a base station which was in the plans but not for awhile. My wife just says what ever so I guess that means antennas on the house will be fine. She has her license and next in the works is Ham. I don’t think she will be following me into that hobby lol

I’d bet you have time or programming issues for the repeater in this case.  Have you contacted the owner of the repeater for programming help?  If you post a link or picture of the repeater programing needs and your code plug that would help.  You can pm that info if you would rather I’d be glad to take a look.  

The repeater isn’t the issue I don’t believe. As the one friend who doesn’t have the gm21 has no problems communicating with anyone and has had a few convos here and there. He is new to gmrs as while. He has a 5g. Radios should be here tomorrow and I will try to dial them in as well as the new 5g pluses I picked up. If I need some help I will for sure message you. 🫡

Well I got the baofeng uv-5g plus. Drove across town to within 3 miles of the tower. Never was able to reach my two friends in town. Been lookin around and seems like the repeater is up but possibly could now be closed,  I am getting hourly time and a call sign every 15-20 minutes automated but I don’t know. The one guy I know who has been able to talk is now only able to listen in to the chatter but can’t hear me. I know the sun is playin a part right now but I’m still new to this so I’m kinda getting to the end of my limited knowledge

9 hours ago, WSCR898 said:

the repeater is up but possibly could now be closed

From what you've described, this sounds like the most likely scenario. Your friend could open squelch on the repeater but now can't, the owner must have changed the tone.