New BAOFENG  GM21  GMRS Radio

WSAW678

• 4 months later...

Picked this unit up a few weeks ago. Finally tonight got around having to manually input repeater channels I want for my area. Got it to load with Chirp using the Baofeng GM-5RH loader. It ends up needing to read first to pull down an image when all the presets and a secondary tab with the unit's settings. So far so good. 

I have both the uv21 (pro v2) and gm21 - I like the feel of them - The uv21 offers 1.25 meters, something I've never had access to before.

The gm21 can listen there but can't xmit. It is gmrs after all. The xmit audio is good and rcv audio is good too.

No complaints so far but I really have no use for 999 memory channels.

On 7/11/2024 at 7:26 AM, WRQI663 said:

I have both the uv21 (pro v2) and gm21 - I like the feel of them - The uv21 offers 1.25 meters, something I've never had access to before.

The gm21 can listen there but can't xmit. It is gmrs after all. The xmit audio is good and rcv audio is good too.

No complaints so far but I really have no use for 999 memory channels.

I have a 5RM which adds the WX channels and can copy a VHF/UHF frequency from a  radio transmitting next to you. Also has Rx on AM Aircraft freqs & FM radio. It has 999 channels too. I load mine up with tower & tracon freqs for the local airports and railroad channels!

• 1 month later...

So far I like it a lot. I have not used it outside in direct sunlight yet, but I found the screen acceptable in a slightly shaded area. I found programming pretty easy using a Baofeng programming cable with a CH340 Chip and using the GMRS-330 Series CPS Software for a UV-5G Plus. I just could not get it read on Chirp but I didn't mess with it for more than a few minutes. Got a local repeater programmed as well as the local PD and Fire for my town and the next town over that I work in setup in just a few minutes.

While larger than the traditional models, I really like the feel and build of this newer chassis, and that angled PTT button is nice. The larger number pad and traditional phone-style layout are really nice. The speaker is very nice in volume and tone. The included headset is cheap. I need to find a better one. I am still longing for a model with built-in Bluetooth so we can use BT earbuds.