Radioddity GM-30 Programming

Sbsyncro

Question

Is it possible to set up a "DIY simplex channel with tones?  I don't want to overwrite the existing CH 15, but instead want to create a copy of it but with tones.  I was able to do this with my DB20-G by "unlocking" it, but there does not seem to be such a capability with the GM-30.

Thanks,

9 answers to this question

3 hours ago, WRYS709 said:

As I recall that is a deficiency with that model Radioddity; that is, the inability to setup additional DIY simplex channels with tones

In fairness, this is a very common limitation; even with the higher end Midland base station radios.  It seems weird to me, since I don't think it is a "weird" request to want to have the "open" GMRS channel available while at the same time having a "custom" version of that channel with tones saved as a DIY channel - it certainly doesn't break any FCC rules that I can think of.

8 minutes ago, Sbsyncro said:

In fairness, this is a very common limitation; even with the higher end Midland base station radios.  It seems weird to me, since I don't think it is a "weird" request to want to have the "open" GMRS channel available while at the same time having a "custom" version of that channel with tones saved as a DIY channel - it certainly doesn't break any FCC rules that I can think of.

With all due respect, citing Midland as an example of common, is an insult to the concept of "common!"

2 hours ago, WRYS709 said:

With all due respect, citing Midland as an example of common, is an insult to the concept of "common!"

Not at all. Midland markets entire systems to the agriculture sector as nearly plug and play systems. I wouldn’t be surprised if their GMRS radios make up half of the market. 

5 minutes ago, WRXB215 said:

Midland radios may be common but I do not see them as any kind of standard for the industry at least as far as programming goes. They seem to be solid radios but I don't understand why they don't up their game in programming features.

Their market isn’t radio aficionados.  They build radios that are easily programmed from the front panel for a single repeater on each of the repeater channels.  They’re just right for a family farm or family recreational activities.  

22 minutes ago, WRXB215 said:

Midland radios may be common but I do not see them as any kind of standard for the industry at least as far as programming goes. They seem to be solid radios but I don't understand why they don't up their game in programming features.

I have no personal experience with Midland; my only knowledge of their radios is the preponderance of negative posts about them here on this Forum.

While having a focus for a particular segment of the "wireless radio" market may be their business strategy, that does not serve to overcome their deficiencies (again from posts here on this forum) to the preponderance of GMRS users here that are not farmers!

"Some people" promote their use by Jeepsters and other off-roaders as being compatible with easily obtained at the last-minute FRS radios and that seems to not only be their asset, but the source of their deficiencies.

In any event, the OP chose the Radioddity GM-30 and has hit a roadblock with his desire to use DIY toned simplex channels on that particular radio.