Anybody with experience using the Radioddity DB25-D?

This radio is NOT related to either the DB20-G or even the DB25-G.

It is a completely different UHF/VHF mini-mobile radio that also incorporates DMR.

Apparently earlier in its life, and before substantial firmware upgrades were made, it was also released as the Retevis RT-73

1 hour ago, WRXB215 said:

Cool! Keep up updated on how it goes.

Well, as many on this board know: I LOVE the DB20-G: Mini-Mobile, 20 Watts, VHF/UHF, Cigarette Lighter Plug, 500 channels and once "opened*" many other features are available for GMRS, including microphone control of various features such as Power, Reverse, etc. AND only $109 (and cheaper when on sale).

So I discovered this DB25-D on sale over at Radioddity for $194 and the "experimenter" in me just could not resist!

PayPal Credit (up to 6 months interest free, if paid within 6 months) is a dangerous, dangerous addition to my arsenal!

More details to come...

*When "opened" the DB20-G also can become a Ham Radio for 2 meters and 70 cms. 

Initial observations:

It is actually smaller than the DB20-G; hard to believe! In that it is not as deep...

I am usually a "not read the manual" kind of guy, but this radio: Gotta read the Manual!

I will try to figure out a Quick Guide to Using this Radio, but unfortunately it is going to require reading more of the manual that I usually want to!

And not only a printed manual, but a PDF of the Extended Manual! This may require signing up for graduate classes at the local university...

There are features that I was not expecting: GPS and APRS!

I am going to take this slowly...

Some initial observations:

So much to learn; so little time!

Audio comes out of the internal front mounted speaker as well as the microphone, so in noisy conditions, putting the mic to one's ear is helpful.

It's analog transmitter is not has robust as the propagation that I can achieve with it's sibling, the DB20-G; not surprising since this is a combination analog/DMR unit.

Although the VFO returns an "Rx Only" message when I attempt to transmit on a GMRS channel, when programmed into the radio by using CPS software, these channels are transmissible (including repeater pairs).

Radioddity now includes a 3rd party alternative CPS programming software package, MM7DBT's CPEditor, which seems to be universally recognized as easier and better to use.

As far as the idea of a "backpack radio," I think you have hit it on the head here:  I am starting to be more inclined to keep my DB20-G in the mobile, where analog and range are more important to me, and I will look into converting this to some sort of "go-pack" radio with rechargeable battery and hotspot to give me these options "on the road" while traveling and outside of my vehicle.

Another DMR user made me aware of DMR radios with a feature of roaming and finding and tuning to upcoming DMR repeaters while mobile, and it looks like this radio has this feature; although I have not done anything with it.

More to come...

@WRYS709 Thanks for the info, this is very helpful. Looking forward to the "More to come..."

On 3/13/2024 at 4:27 PM, WRYS709 said:

Although the VFO returns an "Rx Only" message when I attempt to transmit on a GMRS channel, when programmed into the radio by using CPS software, these channels are transmissible (including repeater pairs).

Do you still get the message after programming with the CPS?

As far as the idea of a "backpack radio," I think you have hit it on the head here:  I am starting to be more inclined to keep my DB20-G in the mobile, where analog and range are more important to me, and I will look into converting this to some sort of "go-pack" radio with rechargeable battery and hotspot to give me these options "on the road" while traveling and outside of my vehicle.

I assumed I'd replace my AT-778UV with this if I get one. Maybe not with this new info. Could still be made easy to move back and forth I guess if DMR while driving is important.

a feature of roaming and finding and tuning to upcoming DMR repeaters while mobile

Yes, that would be awesome! Let us know how this works out.

Thanks again, looking forward to your next installment on this radio.

On 3/13/2024 at 2:27 PM, WRYS709 said:

6 hours ago, WRXB215 said:

Do you still get the message after programming with the CPS?

One of my next steps will be to program the complete GMRS 30 channels into it and test them out with transmitting and receiving to my HT, but so far was able able to successfully have a conversation into a local repeater on one channel.  There is no "Rx Only" message; it works like all the other analog frequencies, I have used so far.

UPDATE: Seems to transmit properly on all 30 GMRS channels (including the 8 repeater pairs), when programmed in with the CPS software (in my case using the better MM7DPT CPEditor, provided now by Radioddity).

Actually driving with this unit, and testing the "roam" feature, will be down the road, so you might search if others have successfully used this feature.

3 hours ago, WRXB215 said:

@WRYS709 Have you notices if it gets warm while transmitting? I've noticed that my AT-778UV get quite warm. I can still put my hand on it but I wouldn't want it in a go bag.

Thanks,
Terry

My DB20-G and AT-779UV get very warm during transmission cycles.

This DB25-D has a large heat sink on the back (and maybe even an internal fan).  I will pay more attention on transmissions next time and let you know.

That being said, someone once told me that DB20-Gs were being used for Go-Boxes for citizens of Malibu for communications during emergencies, so there must be some way to dissipate the heat properly in such a small setting.

I am really enjoying the DB25-D and am trying to figure out a way to add TalkGroups on the fly (without having to reprogram the codeplug), which seems to me to be very important in a mobile/portable setting (without having to resort to a laptop).