Baofeng UV 9G

I got permission to use a local repeater 

Example:

input tone = 116 DPL

output tone = 243 DPL

Now in CHIRP when i go to setup I use 

Screenshot2024-03-11at1_11_27PM.png.9e170deb389af606bba9d1dfa166f783.png

Is this correct?

I only ask because when I setup this way I cannot hear any traffic, but if i go into the menu on handset and change the R-DCS D243 to OFF then i can hear traffic. 

I know im hitting the repeater as i get a response from the repeater itself. Thanks in advance for any help 

5 answers to this question

2 hours ago, WSBB368 said:

I know im hitting the repeater as i get a response from the repeater itself. Thanks in advance for any help  

That’s called kerchunking.  Most people don’t like that.   Just because you can open the squelch of a repeater does not mean it can hear your transmission. Are you close enough?   Good line of site?  Did you email or contact the owner of the repeater?  Usually they are very helpful. 

That’s called kerchunking.  Most people don’t like that.   Just because you can open the squelch of a repeater does not mean it can hear your transmission. Are you close enough?   Good line of site?  Did you email or contact the owner of the repeater?  Usually they are very helpful. 

So I think I just solved my problem I was too far away I just got back from driving closer to the repeater and sure enough I made contact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you are newer to the tech, I recommend just programming transmit (enc) only and leave your receive (dec) as carrier squelch (no codes or tones at all) until you learn more. You will hear everyone on that frequency, including the repeater you want to hear, but if there is not much other traffic, should be no big deal.