Which Repeater am I Hitting?

Webslinger

Question

Two repeaters in the area using the same GMRS channel/frequency. One is farther away, but covers a range of 60 miles according to myGMRS Repeater Map. The other is closer to me, but only covers 15 miles. My location is within the range of both repeaters. 

Now, both repeaters use a different PL tone. Does that mean I can use either repeater without the other one interfering?

2 answers to this question

Using the PL tone on your transmit frequency will key up only one repeater, and if you set up your receiver with PL, and it is has a tone on its output, then that will be the only repeater you actually HEAR, but if the other one is transmitting also, you will see it on your receiver's meter and it may be stronger than the one you want to receive, so while PL is helpful, it will not totally eliminate the other repeater.   If you see a received signal, but don't hear anything, the other repeater is on the air, and that would not be a good time to try transmitting you yours.   If you do not activate your receive PL then you will hear whichever repeater is transmitting.

1 hour ago, Webslinger said:

Now, both repeaters use a different PL tone. Does that mean I can use either repeater without the other one interfering?

No, tones don’t prevent interference. Tones are part of the received signal. 
A directional antenna might make it possible for you to selectively use one or the other repeater.