I now have a LEGAL GMRS Radio.

Just now, Sshannon said:

Paid repeater?

Yes the repeater im trying to connect to AI6BX which is part of the PAPA System which you need to pay for to use apparently. On repeater book it shows it as an open repeater but when you click the link to their site you would nee dto join the papa system which is a downer 

2 hours ago, WSBB368 said:

Yes the repeater im trying to connect to AI6BX which is part of the PAPA System which you need to pay for to use apparently. On repeater book it shows it as an open repeater but when you click the link to their site you would nee dto join the papa system which is a downer 

AI6BX is not a part of the PAPA System; it appears to be its own system; click on my link.

PAPA offers anyone the ability to use their repeater networks to participate in nets and a 45 day free guest membership (when registered) to test drive the system. It is self-policiing and no payment is required to access the repeater once you know the frequencies and the tones.

3 minutes ago, WRYS709 said:

AI6BX is not a part of the PAPA System; it appears to be its own system; click on my link.

PAPA offers anyone the ability to use their repeater networks to participate in nets and a 45 day free guest membership (when registered) to test drive the system. It is self-policiing and no payment is required to access the repeater once you know the frequencies and the tones.

It's listed on their repeater page as a D-Star repeater D20.

4 minutes ago, WRYS709 said:

Yes it is part of the Redlands PAPA System at least from what i see, 

Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 5.43.11 PM.png

51 minutes ago, WSBB368 said:

You need to pay in order to use it from what I can tell you can sign up for a free trial and then after 45 days you would need to to pay a yearly fee see link below

http:// https://papasys.com/join/

Yes, but anyone can partake in their nets without membership.

And you can certainly attempt to see if you are within their repeater coverage range before joining, by going on and asking for a radio check.

If you feel that dues are not something you want to spend, then consider a DMR hotspot; which will allow you full DMR coverage with no repeaters necessary.

6 hours ago, WSBB368 said:

You need to pay in order to use it from what I can tell you can sign up for a free trial and then after 45 days you would need to to pay a yearly fee see link below

http:// https://papasys.com/join/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s what their website says:
WHAT IF I JUST USE AND DON’T JOIN THE SYSTEM?
 We won’t kick you off the System. However, we will notice if you’re on a lot and haven’t joined. You’ll probably get an email or phone call to encourage you to become a member. The PAPA System is member-supported and we depend on membership to support repeater maintenance and site rental.

Here’s what their website says:
WHAT IF I JUST USE AND DON’T JOIN THE SYSTEM? We won’t kick you off the System. However, we will notice if you’re on a lot and haven’t joined. You’ll probably get an email or phone call to encourage you to become a member. The PAPA System is member-supported and we depend on membership to support repeater maintenance and site rental.

That’s awesome to know thank you for your help and looking into it. I’m going it reprogram my ht today. I’m really surprised how unused DMR is I’ll have someone chime in time from time but that’s about it

3 minutes ago, WSBB368 said:

That’s awesome to know thank you for your help and looking into it. I’m going it reprogram my ht today. I’m really surprised how unused DMR is I’ll have someone chime in time from time but that’s about it

If you get on the right talkgroup it can be busy all the time. TG 91 is worldwide English speaking and has conversations full time. But keep in mind that when you get on a DMR repeater and change talkgroups, everyone else listening to the repeater is taken to the same talkgroup.  
If you want to hear lots of activity and not just use the repeater locally, a hotspot is really the way to go. 

If you get on the right talkgroup it can be busy all the time. TG 91 is worldwide English speaking and has conversations full time. But keep in mind that when you get on a DMR repeater and change talkgroups, everyone else listening to the repeater is taken to the same talkgroup.  
If you want to hear lots of activity and not just use the repeater locally, a hotspot is really the way to go. 

I’m sorry to bother but what do you mean by switching talk groups and everyone listening to the repeater is taken to the same talk group ?

10 minutes ago, WSBB368 said:

That’s awesome to know thank you for your help and looking into it. I’m going it reprogram my ht today. I’m really surprised how unused DMR is I’ll have someone chime in time from time but that’s about it.

I just to get anxious and feel guilty when using an analog repeater, especially those networked together. 

On the other hand I have a great sense of relief using DMR because the technology behind DMR, TDMA, allows two digital DMR users to be operating on the same repeater at the same time. 

2 minutes ago, WSBB368 said:

I’m sorry to bother but what do you mean by switching talk groups and everyone listening to the repeater is taken to the same talk group ?

That is not true, unless a DMR repeater listener has turned on “Promiscuous” Mode. 

6 minutes ago, WSBB368 said:

Each DMR repeater is a kind of a gateway into a network of DMR talkgroups. So a repeater connected to the Brandmeister network can be used to connect to almost every talkgroup on the Brandmeister network. 
So, my local DMR repeater has the Montana Chat talkgroup as its default talkgroup. But I have a bunch of channels configured that allow me to simply change channels and key up (as long as nobody is talking on the repeater at the time) and the repeater will be connected dynamically to that new talkgroup and not to its default talkgroup. Usually a repeater will eventually times out and return to the default talkgroup. 
I keep busy channel lockout turned on on my DMR radio so I don’t interrupt others. 

30 minutes ago, WSBB368 said:

Here’s a better description:

1 hour ago, WSBB368 said:

Some basic info to get you started.

https://www.brara.org/documents/presentations/The DMR Basics _ No Frills.pdf

https://w1yca.org/tech/tips/dmrGuide.pdf

The best part of DMR in my opinion is using a MMDVM Hotspot. image.png.0501afeb81ede1c34b69fe5f74e28b4a.png

Easy to use around the house and chat with anyone anywhere. PI-star software easy to configure. Reasonable to build or buy. I understand there is something similar being used on GMRS but not sure how easy it is and at what price.