I now have a LEGAL GMRS Radio.

In breaking with my tradition of being such a GMRS "Outlaw" by using my unlocked HAM radios I thought it would make some of the GMRS Karens happy to know that I now have a legitimate GMRS Type 95e approved radio. My Wouxun KG-805g came in yesterday and I got it all set up and ready to go. 

I'm glad I went with it over the 905g because it has Broadcast FM Radio so I can keep in touch with the local news and listen to music.  I wish it had NOAA but I guess for $80 bucks you can't have everything.  Anyway,  I'm pretty happy with it so far and once my Nagoya 701G antenna gets in tomorrow I may do a video on it for the YouTubes. 🤪

22 minutes ago, WSAA635 said:

In breaking with my tradition of being such a GMRS "Outlaw" by using my unlocked HAM radios I thought it would make some of the GMRS Karens happy to know that I now have a legitimate GMRS Type 95e approved radio. My Wouxun KG-805g came in yesterday and I got it all set up and ready to go. 

I'm glad I went with it over the 905g because it has Broadcast FM Radio so I can keep in touch with the local news and listen to music.  I wish it had NOAA but I guess for $80 bucks you can't have everything.  Anyway,  I'm pretty happy with it so far and once my Nagoya 701G antenna gets in tomorrow I may do a video on it for the YouTubes. 🤪

If you caved in to us “Karens”, what does that make you? 😏

7 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

If you caved in to us “Karens”, what does that make you? 😏

From Wikipedia, the sum of all human knowledge:

"Numerous names for a male equivalent of Karen have been floated, with little agreement on a single name. Richard is the most popular male equivalent because of its vulgar nickname."

15 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

Also once you remove the antenna it’s no longer type accepted anyway.   I’ll never see the point of paying more for less then removing the antenna and voiding the type acceptance. 

Why, this radio doesn't transmit data so the antenna has zero to do with it's Type 95e approval.

This is also a Superhet radio so the radio circuit is a lot higher quality than my $20 Baofeng radios.

Also, not to get off track but I have a UV-5R, 2/UV-82's a Talkpod A36 Plus and a Yaesu FT-65r, all of which get NOAA and 3 of which were in the $20 price range.

The 805g is just my first actual GMRS approved radio.

I keep hearing "I don't want to have to carry two radios while doing an outdoor activity, while traveling, whatever..."

Two radios are not heavy.  Also, you get the benefit if having tuned antennas for each, instead of one that might be almost good enough.  If you don't want two radios, good for you.  I think it makes me more attractive to the chicks to have two on my belt clips.

1 hour ago, WSBQ451 said:

Is there a Wouxun which has NOAA and FM?

Yes but they cost more than I want to spend and IMHO are more complicated than I want to deal with. The 805g would be the PERFECT GMRS radio if they'd add NOAA and it would be easy to do since the 805m MURS version IS VHF. 

It's not that I cared that you were using a ham radio for GMRS, it's that you were constantly frustrated and asking for help for issues caused by trying to use a ham radio for GMRS when you could have just got a GMRS radio to start with.

There is nothing wrong with having two or more radios to cover your needs/desires. Radios are tools and like most other things it takes more than one tool to get the job done.

Don't get me wrong, it's been entertaining following your journey. Can't wait to see where it takes us next.

36 minutes ago, WSBQ451 said:

The Wouxun KG-UV9G receives almost everything including FM radio, NOAA, and local emergency services. It’s a superhet GMRS transceiver with a buttload of receive only channels preprogrammed for use as a SHTF scanner. 
https://bettersaferadio.com/wouxun-kg-uv9g-pro-gmrs-two-way-radio-shtf-scanner/?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwkuqvBhAQEiwA65XxQLAA8CFffU_wwnqn0gFQlO_pxw25Bdm7q464aSMnJtQXYKlFgPmmsRoCFmAQAvD_BwE

The KG-UV9G is a nice radio but at $167 it's just a bit out of my price range. 

Truthfully, the Talkpod A36 Plus does everything I want to do. I have mine programed with GMRS, MURS and I scan local Airbands with it. I could add Public Safety to the scan but that would just add confusion to things. It also has NOAA and FM Broadcast radio. Price point is $35 with a 10% off coupon on Amazon. 

38 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

The Wouxun KG-UV9G receives almost everything including FM radio, NOAA, and local emergency services. It’s a superhet GMRS transceiver with a buttload of receive only channels preprogrammed for use as a SHTF scanner. 
https://bettersaferadio.com/wouxun-kg-uv9g-pro-gmrs-two-way-radio-shtf-scanner/?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwkuqvBhAQEiwA65XxQLAA8CFffU_wwnqn0gFQlO_pxw25Bdm7q464aSMnJtQXYKlFgPmmsRoCFmAQAvD_BwE

I believe this or its sister the UV9P has been recommended more than once. It’s commendable that you continue to show him where the water is… 

1 hour ago, WRWE456 said:

It's not that I cared that you were using a ham radio for GMRS, it's that you were constantly frustrated and asking for help for issues caused by trying to use a ham radio for GMRS when you could have just got a GMRS radio to start with.

There is nothing wrong with having two or more radios to cover your needs/desires. Radios are tools and like most other things it takes more than one tool to get the job done.

Don't get me wrong, it's been entertaining following your journey. Can't wait to see where it takes us next.

If I could I would have given a “like”, “thank you” and the “laughing” emoji. 

2 hours ago, WSBQ451 said:

The KG-935G+, KG-Q10G & H have them in already and you can program NOAA in to any of the KG-UV9 D, P, G radios. I put them at the last channel spots in memory so if I want to go there I just go back from the beginning. There might be more, that’s just off the top of my head.

edit- I haven’t really used the FM radio on my radios so before posting I double checked some of mine to verify it had it and one cool thing I found was if you’re listening to the FM and someone transmits on one of the channels it mutes the FM. 

Edited by WRUU653
Additional info

From Wikipedia, the sum of all human knowledge:
"Numerous names for a male equivalent of Karen have been floated, with little agreement on a single name. Richard is the most popular male equivalent because of its vulgar nickname."

Both the Karen’s & Richard’s are the Internet forum versions of the self-appointed “Junior Troopers” who drive at exactly the speed limit - in the left lane - and refuse to move to the right.

1 hour ago, WRUU653 said:

I believe this or its sister the UV9P has been recommended more than once. It’s commendable that you continue to show him where the water is...

I had a KG-UV9D Plus(I know, it's a HAM radio)and ended up sending it back because Airbands didn't work. 

Simpler is better for me. That's why the BTech GMRS Pro went back. Too many things that I didn't need like GPS and a compass and not CHIRP compatible. 

I'm happy with the 805g, I can live without NOAA since I have it on all the other radios.