Filter out only one DCS code?

kapoijerj334

Question

I know this is radio dependent: is it common to be able to filter out incoming transmissions that have one specific DCS code while still hearing all others?

So for example, if a repeater on channel 16/24 (frequency 462.575) has input and output code of 123N, can I set up channel 16 to receive all BUT the repeater traffic (which has code 123N)?

I know I can set up to receive only code 123N, but can I receive all BUT that code?

Essentially I'm wanting to have repeater only traffic audible on channel 24 and everything BUT repeater traffic on channel 16. I got a lot of repeaters in the area so it would just be nice to be able to distinguish the traffic (more for curiosity's sake than anything else).

I have Radioditty DB20-G's and Baofeng UV-GR's but I haven't figured this out yet since I'm guessing it's not doable? Maybe there's a way to do this without utilizing the DCS code?

8 answers to this question

3 hours ago, WRXP381 said:

No.  On simplex you will hear everything.   

To be clear, are you saying that no GMRS radio offers this feature?

I would think that it's feasible to do, but whether such a feature is actually offered (or whether there is a roundabout way to get there) is what I'm trying to determine.

Tones are not used this way.  You can not use a tone to filter out a tone.  A tone only lets you filter out everything else.  On simplex channels in some radios you can use tones to filter out everything but the toned transmissions.   However you can not use a tone to filter out a tone.   On regular old simplex everything is going to become through. . 

16 minutes ago, adnjacob said:

To be clear, are you saying that no GMRS radio offers this feature?

I would think that it's feasible to do, but whether such a feature is actually offered (or whether there is a roundabout way to get there) is what I'm trying to determine.

It is feasible. The feature is called lockout. Unfortunately no retail GMRS radios that I know of have it, but scanners and some commercial radios have it. 

Ok yes PL tone lock out.  But it’s not going to be readily available on most consumer ham radios and I don’t think it’s available on any gmrs radios at all.   It’s more of a commercial thing so many units can talk to dispatch but they will not hear eachother they will only hear dispatch.  

6 hours ago, Sshannon said:

It is feasible. The feature is called lockout. Unfortunately no retail GMRS radios that I know of have it, but scanners and some commercial radios have it. 

Part of me thinks Reverse Tone Squelch and Tone Lockout would be great features to include in a GMRS radio.  Another part of me thinks that the whole KISS principle for the general consumer market is not a bad idea, either.

13 hours ago, Sshannon said:

Yeah that makes sense. I figured since I couldn't find any such feature on my radios, it probably wasn't one that is offered. Figured it was worth asking though as I'm in a large metro area with a 30' comet antenna so I pick up lots of traffic (I'm guessing most gmrs folks don't have my problem lol). Thanks for the feedback!

7 hours ago, marcspaz said:

Part of me thinks Reverse Tone Squelch and Tone Lockout would be great features to include in a GMRS radio.  Another part of me thinks that the whole KISS principle for the general consumer market is not a bad idea, either.

Now that you mention it, I only got radios for backup comms, and the simplicity of GMRS was 100 percent the reason I went this route. But now that I have a 30' comet antenna and I'm picking up tons of traffic, I guess I'm falling down what they call "the rabbit hole".