new to GMRS question on Baofeng GM-15 Pro

Guest Alphawolf962

2 hours ago, WRYS709 said:

Why are you a Guest? If you are using repeaters, you need a GMRS license and should join this forum. 

Otherwise, in my estimation: move along! Nothing to see here!

I'll bet a hundred million dollars cash that there are probably hundreds of ways you could have answered this person that wouldn't alienate them from further interactions with mygmrs.com. 

49 minutes ago, WRQC527 said:

I'll bet a hundred million dollars cash that there are probably hundreds of ways you could have answered this person that wouldn't alienate them from further interactions with mygmrs.com. 

I think they woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

4 hours ago, WRYS709 said:

Why are you a Guest? If you are using repeaters, you need a GMRS license and should join this forum. 

Why the need to be rude and obnoxious? That is not a way to get someone to register for this awesome site. 

12 hours ago, Guest Alfred said:

Can you program a repeater wile in mem mode on the Baofeng 15 pro GMRS radio?

I have tried all kinds of ways to do this I am lost I don't have a PC I run a chrombook. 

The manual is so confusing for me brand new to this.

Thanks

Yes, you should be able to. 
First, select one of the eight preprogrammed repeater channels. They’ll be labeled something like RP15 through RP22 or numbered 23-30.  They already have the necessary offset built in for transmitting to and receiving from a receiver. 
So then all you have to do is set the transmit tone (or digital code).  It’s part of the repeater information and will usually be called something like “input tone.”

Don’t let the various manufacturers confuse you with the different names they give tones. CTCSS, CTS, and PL are all exactly the same. 
Same thing with digital: DCS, DTCSS, and DPL are all the same, but they are sometimes given an N (Normal) or I (Inverted) suffix. If neither letter appears it’s the same as N. 
Let us know how it goes. 

7 hours ago, WRYS709 said:

I do have a GMRS call  sign WSDB540  It will not let me finish my set up because I don't have a Ham call sign.

1 minute ago, WSDB540 said:

I do have a GMRS call  sign WSDB540  It will not let me finish my set up because I don't have a Ham call sign.

You may be able to put "None" in there.  It's not required in any case and I don't know why it reports less than 100%.  

1 hour ago, WSDB540 said:

I do have a GMRS call  sign WSDB540 

My apologies, Alfred.

As noted by Brian, who joined this forum 24 hours after he obtained his GMRS license, I DID get up on the wrong side of the bed, this morning!

12 hours ago, SteveShannon said:

Yes, you should be able to. 
First, select one of the eight preprogrammed repeater channels. They’ll be labeled something like RP15 through RP22 or numbered 23-30.  They already have the necessary offset built in for transmitting to and receiving from a receiver. 
So then all you have to do is set the transmit tone (or digital code).  It’s part of the repeater information and will usually be called something like “input tone.”

Don’t let the various manufacturers confuse you with the different names they give tones. CTCSS, CTS, and PL are all exactly the same. 
Same thing with digital: DCS, DTCSS, and DPL are all the same, but they are sometimes given an N (Normal) or I (Inverted) suffix. If neither letter appears it’s the same as N. 
Let us know how it goes. 

I gave it a try but no joy. I even reset it to factory and still nothing I live only 3 miles from the repeater. Do you know if it can be programmed with a Bluetooth dongle? I have a cell phone and two tablets running Android. I my get a radio that I have seen OffroaderX like on his YouTube page. Thanks for your help. 

13 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

Great way to welcome potential new members. 

That is okay I get out of bed the wrong way some days LOL. I may get the Tidradio you like on your YouTube page thanks for all the hard work you put into your videos. 

8 hours ago, WSDB540 said:

I gave it a try but no joy. I even reset it to factory and still nothing I live only 3 miles from the repeater. Do you know if it can be programmed with a Bluetooth dongle? I have a cell phone and two tablets running Android. I my get a radio that I have seen OffroaderX like on his YouTube page. Thanks for your help. 

Did your GM-15 come with a USB programming cable?  If so, do you have a computer with Windows XP or later?

Which repeater only 3 miles away are you trying to reach: The Evanston 725 or the Lincolnwood 575?

Using my Baofeng UV-13Pro, which is the Ham Radio version of their GM-15, I would program Evanston 725 from the keyboard, this way:

Go to Channel 30, which is the preprogrammed channel for the 725 repeater;

Then push the MENU button and press the UP arrow key until you get to Menu #13 - Tx CTCSS and then press Menu Again and either "OFF" or a tone number, such as "67.0" will appear and use the UP and DOWN arrow keys to get to "100.0" and then press MENU again to confirm and store 100.0 into channel 30. Now press EXIT.

Now try to transmit to the repeater again and see if you hear the "tail" of the repeater after you "kerchunk" the Push-To-Talk button.  Try it outside and even take a ride to the location of the repeater and try again.  Identify yourself with your callsign and ask if anyone can hear you.

Good luck and report back!

Now to go back to sleep!

Be sure to stop at SuperDawg on the way home!

7 hours ago, WRYS709 said:

Did your GM-15 come with a USB programming cable?  If so, do you have a computer with Windows XP or later?

Which repeater only 3 miles away are you trying to reach: The Evanston 725 or the Lincolnwood 575?

Using my Baofeng UV-13Pro, which is the Ham Radio version of their GM-15, I would program Evanston 725 from the keyboard, this way:

Go to Channel 30, which is the preprogrammed channel for the 725 repeater;

Then push the MENU button and press the UP arrow key until you get to Menu #13 - Tx CTCSS and then press Menu Again and either "OFF" or a tone number, such as "67.0" will appear and use the UP and DOWN arrow keys to get to "100.0" and then press MENU again to confirm and store 100.0 into channel 30. Now press EXIT.

Now try to transmit to the repeater again and see if you hear the "tail" of the repeater after you "kerchunk" the Push-To-Talk button.  Try it outside and even take a ride to the location of the repeater and try again.  Identify yourself with your callsign and ask if anyone can hear you.

Good luck and report back!

Now to go back to sleep!

Be sure to stop at SuperDawg on the way home!

Yes mine is on ch 26 RPT-4. Here is a screenshot of the repeater I am trying maybe I am missing something.

Screenshot 2024-05-28 5.06.43 PM.png

19 hours ago, WSDB540 said:

Yes mine is on ch 26 RPT-4. Here is a screenshot of the repeater I am trying maybe I am missing something.

You used Menu #13 to set CTCSS as 162.2?  

I advise that you keep Menu #11 - Rx CTCSS as OFF.

What happens when you attempt to access this repeater?  Have you driven closer to it?

8 hours ago, WRYS709 said:

What happens when you attempt to access this repeater?  Have you driven closer to it?

On mine, # 12 is TX CTCSS and it is set to 162.2.

When I key up and give my call sign I get nothing back from the repeater. I am ina wheelchair andhave not gotten a ride yet, the owner said the repeater is working and I should be able to hit it is up on a cell tower.

1 hour ago, WSDB540 said:

On mine, # 12 is TX CTCSS and it is set to 162.2.

When I key up and give my call sign I get nothing back from the repeater. I am ina wheelchair andhave not gotten a ride yet, the owner said the repeater is working and I should be able to hit it is up on a cell tower.

It appears you have it set correctly, so my best guess it is an issue of power, antenna and line of sight.

If you can get a ride and confirm that it works, then perhaps a better antenna, such as the 771 models available, might help.  Even a window or back yard location that has better line of sight to the repeater and less walls to block signals.

On 5/29/2024 at 1:12 PM, WRYS709 said:

Yes CTCSS is set to 162.2

RX CTCSS is off.

Nothing happens no repeater anything. 

The first of the week I have a ride and we will go right by it

I will let you know what happens.

Thanks for all your help

I'm looking to replace my old 10-year-old gmrs radio and have been looking at the Baofeng GMRS radios but most of what I can find is that they are not FCC-certified and not legal to use. So why are they being pushed around the GMRS community when they are not really legal?    Since they come from China or Asia.   

what are the pro's and con's over the Beofeng GMRS radios over other GMRS radios?

if someone can show me that they are legal i would consider getting one .

thank you for your assistance

42 minutes ago, WQNG647 said:

I'm looking to replace my old 10-year-old gmrs radio and have been looking at the Baofeng GMRS radios but most of what I can find is that they are not FCC-certified and not legal to use. So why are they being pushed around the GMRS community when they are not really legal? 

Whoever told you that lied to you. The Baofeng GMRS radios are fully FCC Part 95 certified for use on GMRS. The reason they are being pushed around the GMRS community is because they are inexpensive, and fully within the FCC rules to use.

and FWIW, i find it hilarious that you include your email addresses in your signature to make it so easy for people to "connect" with you.

44 minutes ago, WQNG647 said:

I'm looking to replace my old 10-year-old gmrs radio and have been looking at the Baofeng GMRS radios but most of what I can find is that they are not FCC-certified and not legal to use. So why are they being pushed around the GMRS community when they are not really legal?    Since they come from China or Asia.   

what are the pro's and con's over the Beofeng GMRS radios over other GMRS radios?

if someone can show me that they are legal i would consider getting one .

thank you for your assistance

First why would it matter and who cares.
 Second if they say gmrs they are certified for gmrs use. You could look up the fcc cert that is on the back of the radio   

Third what does it matter if they come from Asia.  So does about 99% of everything 

I have many different makers of radio from the uv5 to Motorolas they all work the same and no one knows or cares what I’m running.  

3 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

i find it hilarious that you include your email addresses in your signature to make it so easy for people to "connect" with you.

I had a friend in junior high who would have given his left n... I mean he would have given anything to have Wonder Woman's email address. Oh... Wait. That was Lynda Carter, not Linda Carter. And it was 1975.

yes she is 4 days older than I am and was born linda jean carter   went to Hollywood changed her name to lynda carter got rich and famous and left be broke.   

this is for real as we are both the same age