I want to put a tram vertical and yagi on same mast.

WRPT980

Question

I would like to put a Tram 1486 vertical antenna on top of a Dx Engineering fiberglass mast and put a 5 element yagi  3 to 4 feet below. (or more if necessary).

Has anyone tried this and does it work.  So much to learn. Thanks for any input.

Hi WRPT980. I also run an omni on top of the mast which is for my scanner and a Yagi for GMRS about 3 feet lower on the same mast.

One thing a directional antenna does is concentrates most of your signal energy in one general direction and can help get through forests and obstructions better. I get reports of better signal quality at times with the Yagi. Also most of my contacts are in about a 30 degree arc so I seldom need to rotate it. Besides behind me is Canada (I live on the border) so no point in broadcasting in that direction.

Works good for me. I like experimenting and don't mind spending the money to do so. The more I do the more I learn.

4 minutes ago, WRWE456 said:

Hi WRPT980. I also run an omni on top of the mast which is for my scanner and a Yagi for GMRS about 3 feet lower on the same mast.

One thing a directional antenna does is concentrates most of your signal energy in one general direction and can help get through forests and obstructions better. I get reports of better signal quality at times with the Yagi. Also most of my contacts are in about a 30 degree arc so I seldom need to rotate it. Besides behind me is Canada (I live on the border) so no point in broadcasting in that direction.

Works good for me. I like experimenting and don't mind spending the money to do so. The more I do the more I learn.

Thanks WRWE456. Yep. That's what I am after. So close but so far. If it works well next week. I will also test again when the leaves are full out. If needed I will get a taller antenna. Gotta make it happen.  So so many hours of studying and very few mistakes. It pays to do your home work and am so grateful to find this site. And fyi- not really interested in repeaters. I don't want to count on others. Yeah. Experimenting  Never could turn my brain off. Also great hobby.

Thanks!