I want to put a tram vertical and yagi on same mast.

WRPT980

Question

I would like to put a Tram 1486 vertical antenna on top of a Dx Engineering fiberglass mast and put a 5 element yagi  3 to 4 feet below. (or more if necessary).

Has anyone tried this and does it work.  So much to learn. Thanks for any input.

Ide say you're good to go. You may get some inference if using both antennas and listening on one, while transmitting on the other. Other than that, 4feet of vertical separation should be fine. My yagis are mounted slightly to the side about 12" from the mast, but that was to keep the upper antenna coax from interfering with the yagis when it came down the mast.

Thank you Sir. Greatly appreciated.  I will be switching back and forth until I learn more. And just some FYI. When I test I put a voice activated recorder near radio to listen to when I return. But you all probably already know that.

Peace, and thanks again. and...So much to learn.

While the practice of running an omni directional antenna and a beam antenna is not very common with GMRS, it is more common with the 2m and 70cm amateur bands. The omni works well for general omni directional use while the Yagi allows for getting longer distance contacts since the design is directional and usually higher gain.

@WRPT980, as long as you can keep both antennas at least a full wave length apart then you should be fine. A full wavelength at 467.600 is 2.1 feet.

29 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

Why is the need for 2 antennas?  

The tram is for local. But will not reach my people at 10 to 12 miles. Flatish land here with spotty thick woods between us. I am hoping the yagi will reach. If it does then I will try to test before leaves break out in full and then in july or august do test again to see loss. I will use one antenna at a time. and my people are all in a 40 degree area which is very lucky  for me  I think.

19 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

While the practice of running an omni directional antenna and a beam antenna is not very common with GMRS, it is more common with the 2m and 70cm amateur bands. The omni works well for general omni directional use while the Yagi allows for getting longer distance contacts since the design is directional and usually higher gain.

@WRPT980, as long as you can keep both antennas at least a full wave length apart then you should be fine. A full wavelength at 467.600 is 2.1 feet.

Thank you thank You!!!    This is my first time on and learning how to reply properly.

@WRXP381 you are an exception. Most people will never get anywhere close to 200 miles on GMRS, or any UHF frequency. 50-60 miles is great range for most of us in the eastern half of the country. 100 miles would be extremely good. Most will only average 30-40 miles.

My local GMRS repeater has its antennas 400 feet above ground and the 70cm antennas are at 900 feet above ground. We only get a 30-35 mile radius of coverage with both repeaters running at 40 watts output. 

22 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

23 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

Thank you! And this is my first time on and learning how to reply.

@WRPT980, your antenna is at a decent height as long as there are no obstructions like hills, trees, etc between you and who you are wanting to talk to. Adding a rotatable Yagi at 3-4 foot below your Tram will work just fine and allow you to reach those further away stations.

11 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

How far do you need to transmit?  I just wonder why all the hassle of a yagi for gmrs?   I get over 200miles from a 20watt(18w) radio and a comet 712efc.  How much further do you need to transmit with the yagi?   

4 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

@WRXP381 you are an exception. Most people will never get anywhere close to 200 miles on GMRS, or any UHF frequency. 50-60 miles is great range for most of us in the eastern half of the country. 100 miles would be extremely good. Most will only average 30-40 miles.

My local GMRS repeater has its antennas 400 feet above ground and the 70cm antennas are at 900 feet above ground. We only get a 30-35 mile radius of coverage with both repeaters running at 40 watts output. 

3 minutes ago, WRPT980 said:

Thank you! And this is my first time on and learning how to reply.

I would just like 15 miles...

8 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

Yea I’d just simplify my life and run one good Omni directional antenna.   But that’s just me.  I hate added junk making things more complicated for no reason. 

My  Kids.

3 minutes ago, WRPT980 said:

I would just like 15 miles...

A good antenna, good coax and height and 15miles is easy.   We have 100 people is our repeater club.  People easily do 15-30miles with a 5w hand held and that is in the city’s around Los Angeles California.   Many easily do 60miles with a good base statin and an antenna.   Just have to get the right things.  My whole set up runs no more then $300 total. 

1 hour ago, WSBZ540 said:

Ide say you're good to go. You may get some inference if using both antennas and listening on one, while transmitting on the other. Other than that, 4feet of vertical separation should be fine. My yagis are mounted slightly to the side about 12" from the mast, but that was to keep the upper antenna coax from interfering with the yagis when it came down the mast.

THANK YOU!

Things like trees, hills, buildings, etc will impact how far your signals can travel. That's why it is always best to get your antenna up as high as you can. And just as important is using a good quality coax cable designed for VHF/UHF frequencies such as LMR400 or equivalent types of coax.

Here is a good thread explains single loss in different types of coax. https://forums.mygmrs.com/topic/252-cable-types-and-losses/

1 minute ago, WRXP381 said:

A good antenna, good coax and height and 15miles is easy.   We have 100 people is our repeater club.  People easily do 15-30miles with a 5w hand held and that is in the city’s around Los Angeles California.   Many easily do 60miles with a good base statin and an antenna.   Just have to get the right things.  My whole set up runs no more then $300 total. 

Cool!  I do not have repeaters avalible but I totaly agree. Hopefully I can make it happen.

27 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

That’s really a funny statement because MOST people I know even in the city get 30miles from an ht and 60-100miles easy from base stations.  It’s all about proper equipment and height 

2 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

Things like trees, hills, buildings, etc will impact how far your signals can travel. That's why it is always best to get your antenna up as high as you can. And just as important is using a good quality coax cable designed for VHF/UHF frequencies such as LMR400 or equivalent types of coax.

Here is a good thread explains single loss in different types of coax. https://forums.mygmrs.com/topic/252-cable-types-and-losses/

THANK YOU!  I am using RG8U  and LMR 400.   I will have 2 masts.   house and shop.  

Time for did din.   THANKS EVERYBODY.        AND I  WILL  BE BACK!         PEACE!

3 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

That’s really a funny statement because MOST people I know even in the city get 30miles from an ht and 60-100miles east from base stations.  It’s all about proper equipment and height 

That’s really a funny statement because MOST people I know even in the city get 30miles from an ht and 60-100miles east from base stations.  It’s all about proper equipment and height 

That's  Great!

20 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

@WRPT980, your antenna is at a decent height as long as there are no obstructions like hills, trees, etc between you and who you are wanting to talk to. Adding a rotatable Yagi at 3-4 foot below your Tram will work just fine and allow you to reach those further away stations.

Yep.  That's my next thought. rotor. And 2nd  mast will be 40 feet.

36 minutes ago, WRPT980 said:

THANK YOU!  I am using RG8U  and LMR 400.   I will have 2 masts.   house and shop.  

Time for did din.   THANKS EVERYBODY.        AND I  WILL  BE BACK!         PEACE!

Stick with LMR 400 for all of your GMRS antennas. RG8U is fine for the amateur HF bands.