Repeater/Base Station

Guest Markus

Guest Markus

I have a question about home repeaters and base stations. I want to setup a repeater for my neighborhood and very local area. Only expecting 5-7 miles from this setup due to antenna restrictions by an HOA. I may not even get that, but I have an attic antenna and a higher elevation than most homes (full of fat people) in the area. My question, is it possible to use the repeater as a base station for all available GMRS frequencies when the repeater is not in use? Or will the duplexer restrict that to just the chosen frequency pair. Would I have to run a separate antenna to achieve this? I'm thinking about a bridgecom repeater if that matters.  

It’s usually not a good idea to use your repeater as a base but I’ll leave that to some one who knows everything about that specific bridge comm system. 

as for the distance….   Even in an attic there is no reason why with a good antenna, coax and 50watts you won’t get waaay over 7miles.  Heck you could put a small 1/4 wave with its own radials for a ground plane on the roof where no one would see it for the radio side and do 30plus miles  

1 hour ago, Guest Markus said:

I have a question about home repeaters and base stations. I want to setup a repeater for my neighborhood and very local area. Only expecting 5-7 miles from this setup due to antenna restrictions by an HOA. I may not even get that, but I have an attic antenna and a higher elevation than most homes (full of fat people) in the area. My question, is it possible to use the repeater as a base station for all available GMRS frequencies when the repeater is not in use? Or will the duplexer restrict that to just the chosen frequency pair. Would I have to run a separate antenna to achieve this? I'm thinking about a bridgecom repeater if that matters.  

Download and read the manual for the Bridgecom repeater to see how easy it is to change channels. Do the channels on the receiver side change when you change the channel on the transmitter side?  I suspect the repeater will be inconvenient to use as a base station.

I think you’re right that the duplexer will limit you to the channel pair it’s tuned to, which will severely attenuate reception on the simplex channels.

I would simply get a cheap (but generally liked) mobile radio like the db20g and connect it directly to the antenna when you want to have a base station. 

Our club is running a Bridgecom repeater for GMRS. We are using an external duplexer which is tuned for our input and output frequencies. It would not be easy or feasible to use a Bridgecom repeater as a base station due to the duplexer. You would have to retune the duplexer which isn't the easiest thing to do without the proper test equipment.

Guest Markus

I really appreciate you gentleman's responses and it confirmed what I suspected. 

Really nice to have some input from you all for a perfect stranger. Thanks

4 hours ago, WRXP381 said:

It’s usually not a good idea to use your repeater as a base but I’ll leave that to some one who knows everything about that specific bridge comm system. 

as for the distance….   Even in an attic there is no reason why with a good antenna, coax and 50watts you won’t get waaay over 7miles.  Heck you could put a small 1/4 wave with its own radials for a ground plane on the roof where no one would see it for the radio side and do 30plus miles  

The HOA here is unrealistically anal. I live in the cul-de-sac that backs up to another one, so there really isn't any privacy. I'm not going to be in this location for many years but not trying to ruffle their feathers. I mean, jeez... they send nasty notes if you leave your trash can in view of the street on a non pickup day.   

I do already have a KG-1000G that does well already with my current attic antenna. I have reached out with that to about 17 miles so I was thinking I'd be conservative in my expectations. My terrain is rolling hills so there are dead spots but not terrible.

4 hours ago, Sshannon said:

Download and read the manual for the Bridgecom repeater to see how easy it is to change channels. Do the channels on the receiver side change when you change the channel on the transmitter side?  I suspect the repeater will be inconvenient to use as a base station.

I think you’re right that the duplexer will limit you to the channel pair it’s tuned to, which will severely attenuate reception on the simplex channels.

I would simply get a cheap (but generally liked) mobile radio like the db20g and connect it directly to the antenna when you want to have a base station. 

I will do as advised, but I'm thinking, as you mentioned, to add a second antenna to my attic for my KG-1000G and use that as a base. Fortunately, when I fished my coax up 3 stories of interior walls to reach my attic, I fished 2 separate cables at the same time. 

3 hours ago, WSAM454 said:

Will you be talking with others (that are on the move)  through the repeater or just with someone at home?    If at home, then you may not even need a repeater.

(What do fat people have to do with the repeater; will they absorb more RF???)

I will actually be doing both. I also live about a 3/4 mile from a major interstate intersection so would make it available for travelers as well. 

(Haha, Fat people. I myself am a little plump and could use to lose about 30 pounds. Yes, I was watching a notarubicon video on youtube talking about fars, and buildings full of fat people. Love his sarcasm.)

3 hours ago, WRYZ926 said:

Our club is running a Bridgecom repeater for GMRS. We are using an external duplexer which is tuned for our input and output frequencies. It would not be easy or feasible to use a Bridgecom repeater as a base station due to the duplexer. You would have to retune the duplexer which isn't the easiest thing to do without the proper test equipment.

You confirmed what I thought. I take it you are satisfied with the Bridgecom repeater performance? 

Guest Markus
5 hours ago, WRXP381 said:

That is what I suspected. I appreciate your prompt response. I currently have an attic antenna connected to a KG-1000G. I have gotten out around 17 miles but I was trying to set my expectations low. My HOA is very anal. They send you nasty notes if you leave your trashcan out on a non pickup day. I live in a cul-de-sac that backs up to another one so there basically is no privacy. I will move in the future but am going to have to be here for a few years yet. Thanks for your advice. 

49 minutes ago, Guest Markus said:

I will do as advised, but I'm thinking, as you mentioned, to add a second antenna to my attic for my KG-1000G and use that as a base. Fortunately, when I fished my coax up 3 stories of interior walls to reach my attic, I fished 2 separate cables at the same time. 

Good job!  

5 hours ago, Guest Markus said:

You confirmed what I thought. I take it you are satisfied with the Bridgecom repeater performance? 

Yes we have been quite happy with the performance of the Bridgecom GMRS repeater. The duty cycle is good and we haven't had any issues with it. Our coverage area is about the same as our 70cm repeater. We get abut 30-35 mile range for both when using mobile radios in vehicles. A Lot depends on the terrain and antenna being used. 

All of our repeater antennas are on the same tower. The 2m and 70cm antennas are at 900 feet and the GMRS antenna is at 400 feet.