New Radioddity DB40-G GMRS MOBILE RADIO - 40W

On 4/29/2024 at 11:11 AM, ithrowplastic said:

Considering one of these since I have a DB20.  Anyone have them yet?

Instead of paying the extra money for 20 more watts, I went instead to replace my DB20-G in the car with their DB25-D DMR dual-band, 20 watt, mini-mobile for about only $100 more.  With a Hotspot and my OnStar WiFi, I will be able to communicate all over the world easily with DMR especially on longer drives, where my experience with analog repeaters is poor, because you lose range to them very quickly.

• 1 month later...

I like it but the software needs to be updated. You can label the channels but the function times out so it's not easy. The audio that comes out from the speaker is very loud. When it came to distance it matched my Wouxon 1000G plus with Simplex distance and hitting the repeaters. I had the chance to return it if I didn't like it but I'm keeping it. Never runs hot and very quiet. Scans the channels very quickly. The Microphone is outstanding. Added 3 channels to the memory on the microphone. It can be very confusing to program from the microphone. Also once you label the channels like I did, Orlando 700 etc, if you go back and update the radio via the software it removes the labels. I was getting 48 to 51 watts on mine. I tested it with three different setups and 4 meters yesterday. They all said the same thing. The screen at night is not easy to read.

It would be interesting to see a comparison of these inexpensive dual-watch, programmable, 40w GMRS radios. The Radioddity DB40G, and the Retevis RA87 have a lot of similarities, but it looks like a lot of differences too. And the price is comparable. The RA87 does come with a data cable, though. Both models can be had for less than $179. Both have about 200 channels. Both are single-band, and 40w claimed. Both are dual-watch. And of course both are GMRS. Is that where the similarities end?

9 hours ago, WRQW589 said:

It would be interesting to see a comparison of these inexpensive dual-watch, programmable, 40w GMRS radios. The Radioddity DB40G, and the Retevis RA87 have a lot of similarities, but it looks like a lot of differences too. And the price is comparable. The RA87 does come with a data cable, though. Both models can be had for less than $179. Both have about 200 channels. Both are single-band, and 40w claimed. Both are dual-watch. And of course both are GMRS. Is that where the similarities end?

I was between the two and decided to go with the RA87 when I found out that you can't alpha program the channels and that the mic keys weren't backlit on the DB40G.

• 1 month later...

5:35:29 PM – 5:43:51 PM

On 6/11/2024 at 7:51 PM, SvenMarbles said:

I was between the two and decided to go with the RA87 when I found out that you can't alpha program the channels and that the mic keys weren't backlit on the DB40G.

Late to this thread, I purchased from Amazon on July 16th, not sure when mine was manufactured.  The mike keys are definitely backlit. Even with running the new  programming software was unable to alpha tag the channels until after updating the firmware.  Still cannot edit/create alpha tags from the radio itself, it does not move from the first position.  Otherwise all functions seem to work well.  RX is clear and getting reports of full quieting/solid audio via one of Seattle area's repeaters about 34 miles away on mid (20W).  Haven't attempted 5 Watts yet, my similarly powered HT can open that repeater but audio isn't great using the same J-Pole antenna up above my deck. Could be too that the HT is just not a fantastic radio.