New Radioddity DB40-G GMRS MOBILE RADIO - 40W

I just saw this last night, Radioddity has a new 40 watt mobile coming out:  https://www.radioddity.com/collections/consumer-radios-frs-gmrs-radios/products/radioddity-db40-g

I wonder who really makes this radio, Anytone or maybe TYT?

Specifications
Frequency Range: Transmitter: GMRS frequency; Receiver: 400.000-480.000MHz;
Channel Spacing: 5KHz, 6.25KHz, 12.5KHz, 25KHz
Supply Voltage: 13.8V±15%
Transmitter Output Power: HI: ≥40W, M: ≈20W, LO: ≈5W
Receiver Reference Sensitivity: 400-420: ≤0.30uV; 420-470: ≤0.25uV
Microphone Gain: 16dB
Carrier Frequency Tolerance: ≤2.5PPM
Threshold Squelch on Sensitivity (ASQ2): ≤0.20uV
Modulation Limiting: ≤5KHz
Audio Harmonic Distortion: ≤7%
Dissipation Current: ≤10A
Modulated Receive Bandwidth: ≥2KHz (Narr)/5KHz(Wide)

15 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

Doesn’t say anything about being able to program on a computer.  I see in the picture the port that might be used for that is blocked off with a silver plug.  🤔 

I did find a link to download programming software for it (SUPPORT PAGE), but there is no manual to download yet.  Also, it does say it includes a programming cable.

What’s in the box?
1 x DB40-G GMRS Mobile Radio
1 x Handheld Microphone
1 x Power Cable with Fuse Tube
1 x Mounting Bracket
1 x Spare Fuse Tube
1 x Microphone Bracket
1 x Programming Cable
1 x User Manual

On 4/9/2024 at 12:22 PM, WRYS709 said:

Interesting Disclaimer for a "GMRS" transceiver:

This is a true statement that's worth repeating....Technically, you can receive any signal from just about any frequency for monitoring purposes, but it's illegal to transmit on said\same frequencies without the proper licensing and authorization. Thus the reason most (at least many) agencies are going the encryption route. You can still hear them, but cannot decipher the information being conveyed for non-compliant purposes (AKA criminals). 

20 hours ago, Borage257 said:

Based on FCC filings, Radioddity is trying to bring the At-5888uv in as the DB50-g.

SAIN3 Land Mobile Radio DB50 FCC ID 2AN62-DB50

Maybe this is interesting, maybe not, but I did find a reference to the Polmar DB-50 from 2013. So many of these radios are rebadged, slightly redesigned, "re-frequencied", if you will, re-certified for different services, marketed for export-only, that it's hard to keep track.

https://hamgear.wordpress.com/2013/10/11/incoming-polmar-db-50/

33 minutes ago, tcp2525 said:

Nice!!! The DB20 has been a real winner and a great inexpensive performer at 15w on GMRS. A 40w version would be highly welcome just as long as they don't overprice it.

I second those comments:

Radioddity has had a much more expensive 40 watt GMRS mobile out for some time, that I felt was too expensive to consider.  Now it seems that they have replaced that offering with this one for only $180, which to me is still a bit high for the premium of going up to 40 watts, but sure beats the price of their older version.

In the interim, I went for the DB25-D when it was on sale for $194 as it is still 18/20 watts, but also includes DMR capability.

FYI, the DB40-G is not shipping yet. I ordered one on the 13th and it was to ship before the 20th, according to their website. It is now saying it will ship before the 26th.

They did, however, charge my credit card the full amount upon order.

UPDATE: I did just now receive an email from Support informing me that there is a firmware issue that is delaying shipment.

Edited by WA9BD
New information

On 4/20/2024 at 5:59 AM, WA9BD said:

FYI, the DB40-G is not shipping yet. I ordered one on the 13th and it was to ship before the 20th, according to their website. It is now saying it will ship before the 26th.

They did, however, charge my credit card the full amount upon order.

UPDATE: I did just now receive an email from Support informing me that there is a firmware issue that is delaying shipment.

Whaaaa? Problems with a first generation new piece of equipment?   Really?   I’m sooo NOT surprised.   I’ve made it a point no never ever buy any first generation anything.   There are many many better options that are proven to work well.   

16 hours ago, WRXP381 said:

Whaaaa? Problems with a first generation new piece of equipment?   Really?   I’m sooo NOT surprised.   I’ve made it a point no never ever buy any first generation anything.   There are many many better options that are proven to work well.   

Yeah, but I like to live on the cutting edge.