TIDRadio TD-H3 GMRS

Does anyone here own the GMRS version of the TIDRadio TD-H3?  And, yep I know that the H3 can be put in three different operating modes.

I own the H3 and am working on a review and notice that they specifically sell a GMRS version.  Best I can tell the FCC ID of that is also:

FCC ID:2A4FBTD831

Looking to see if the GMRS advertised version has a different FCC ID.

That ID number doesn't have Part 95 certification.

I don't much care if it does or doesn't or what the ramifications of that are.........I'm just writing a blog and trying to accurate.  So far I can't find a different FCC ID for the radio marketed as GMRS.

38 minutes ago, WRVY822 said:

I just got this radio. Which mode do you guys run in? I have a GMRS license, but no HAM license yet. Is there any advantage to running in Normal mode versus GMRS mode?

In Ham mode, it only allows transmitting on ham frequencies.  On GMRS mode, you can only transmit on the pre-programed GMRS frequencies. In normal mode, you can transmit on every frequency from 136 MHz to 520 MHz.  That's pretty much it.

46 minutes ago, WRVY822 said:

I just got this radio. Which mode do you guys run in? I have a GMRS license, but no HAM license yet. Is there any advantage to running in Normal mode versus GMRS mode?

Do you have a need to transmit on ham bands or emergency bands in the event you’re in a life threatening situation where cell phones are not useable?  
Some people spend a load of time far away from cell phone and gmrs repeaters.  Some times those activities can put you in life threatening situations.  If that is you I’d leave it open to all frequencies and program as many repeaters and emergency frequencies as I could get my hands on that are local to the area you will be In.  If that’s not you are you worried about end of the world, shtf, apocalyptic events?    If so leave it open.  If your just a gmrs operators that doesn’t care about anything else then set it to gmrs and have fun 

For now I have it set to GMRS mode. I have a local repeater on the A band and a local HAM on the B band to listen. When I press the middle PTT button, I noticed that the red light comes on and the screen indicates that I am transmitting. Now I don't have any of the tones setup for that frequency, but I was surprised that the radio acted like it was transmitting. I expected a tone or nothing to indicate that transmitting on HAM was not possible. Just curious.

In theory, the GMRS version will only transmit on GMRS frequencies, and it will have repeater channels with the offset baked in.

When I put my GMRS version in Normal mode, the GMRS channels are no longer programmed into memory, and I thought you could transmit on HAM and GMRS in Normal mode, and HAM frequencies when in HAM mode, even if it's an advertised GMRS version.

@WRVY822 A GMRS type certified radio is not supposed to allow you to transmit on both HAM and GMRS at the same time. Some radios appear to get around the separation of hardware issue by wiping out the programming every time you switch from one service to the other and only allow you to transmit on one service at a time.

There are HAM radios that can transmit on GMRS frequencies but you are not supposed to use them for that.

I do not have the radio in question so I can't tell you what it actually does, I can only tell you what it is supposed to do.

@WRXB215 My understanding of this radio (TD-H3) is that it can transmit on both HAM and GMRS only when the radio is in Normal mode. Someone correct me if I am wrong about this. If that is true, I was wondering what the difference is between the HAM and GMRS versions being sold on Amazon. The antennas are different and the FCC ID#'s are different. I wasn't sure if there was anything else that made the radios different.

34 minutes ago, WRVY822 said:

@WRXB215 My understanding of this radio (TD-H3) is that it can transmit on both HAM and GMRS only when the radio is in Normal mode. Someone correct me if I am wrong about this. If that is true, I was wondering what the difference is between the HAM and GMRS versions being sold on Amazon. The antennas are different and the FCC ID#'s are different. I wasn't sure if there was anything else that made the radios different.

This is just an "I think", based on owning a couple... from what I see, the Amateur Radio and the GMRS radio are the exact same radio, in every way, shape and form.  What distinguishes the GMRS radio from the Amateur Radio is the stickers, labeling and what firmware is loaded at the time of sale from the manufacturer. 

Again, making assumptions based on past experience owning some of these, the firmware for all versions of the radio are likely stored in a controller memory.  Because each radio is identical, all 3 versions of the firmware are stored.  There is a BIOS (Basic In/Out System) that is independent of the firmware loaded.  The BIOS will look at the boot options and see if there is a command to go to a boot menu or load the stored data in the EPROM (aka ROC/Radio On a Chip). 

If there is no indication to load the boot menu, the BIOS loads the current radio configuration, memories, restrictions, etc..  If there is an option selected to load the boot menu, the BIOS will load the menu.  Depending on what you pick, if anything at all. the bios will flash the EPROM with the firmware stored on the controller memory and then reboot, loading the new operational state. 

This is why all of your saved memories and settings gets wiped when you change modes/types.

Just to recap what I mentioned before, in Ham mode, it only allows transmitting on ham frequencies.  On GMRS mode, you can only transmit on the pre-programmed GMRS frequencies stored in a memory channel. In normal mode, you can transmit on every frequency from 136 MHz to 520 MHz.