Attaching a separate 12 gauge ground wire to a magnetic mount roof antenna.

WSBV762

Question

Good day all!   I am brand new to GMRS and have ordered a Midland MXT 500 GMRS radio with a Midland MXT 26 Mag-Mount antenna for the roof of my Hyundai Tuscon.  I have seen many videos regarding "RF Ground" and "DC Ground".  One video in particular has stated that it would be very beneficial to attach a ground wire to the srew-on base of the mag-mount and screw the antenna on to the base.  Then, take the ground wire and attach it to the chassis of the vehicle to provide a better ground situation.  Am I over-thinking all of this or does this make sense?  If the magnet to roof top alone will do the job, then I will live with that.  Thanks to all for helping out the new kid on the block.

Dan, WSBV762

6 answers to this question

31 minutes ago, WSBV762 said:

Am I over-thinking all of this

Yes, you are over thinking it... Unless your goal is to bounce your signal off the moon or "make contacts" with anonymous men around the world - in either case, you should not be using GMRS for that and would be happier with H.A.M. or the Grindr app.

It is true that if you CORRECTLY attach a wire from the antenna to the chassis it will be grounded better, you will never notice any difference.  OTOH, if you do it wrong and short it out, you WILL notice when it doesnt work at all.

Stop paying attention to the radiotards that have no life, install the radio, and enjoy it.

Good day all!   I am brand new to GMRS and have ordered a Midland MXT 500 GMRS radio with a Midland MXT 26 Mag-Mount antenna for the roof of my Hyundai Tuscon.  I have seen many videos regarding "RF Ground" and "DC Ground".  One video in particular has stated that it would be very beneficial to attach a ground wire to the srew-on base of the mag-mount and screw the antenna on to the base.  Then, take the ground wire and attach it to the chassis of the vehicle to provide a better ground situation.  Am I over-thinking all of this or does this make sense?  If the magnet to roof top alone will do the job, then I will live with that.  Thanks to all for helping out the new kid on the block.
Dan, WSBV762
Yes, you are over thinking it.

The mag mount should provide enough capacitance. Provided there is enough sheet below it.

Even in hf, you would be better served by grounding chassis component of the car over going through the antenna mount.

Mainly due to the wavelength in hf. Think meters to tens of meters to hundreds of meters for one full sine of rf wave.

Gmrs is only going to need a disk roughly 9 inches in diameter. To accomplish the same.

Stick the magnet on the center of the roof and enjoy.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, WSBV762 said:

Dan, WSBV762

You’re overthinking it. 
It’s true that there must be a good electrical connection between the roof of your vehicle and the chassis ground or you may get noise issues, but the antenna base electrically couples to your roof like a big capacitor. High frequency signals pass through capacitors. 

No.  At no time do you need to ground the antenna.  It needs a ground plane yes but not a chassis ground.  Cb antennas need to be grounded to the chassis but not a gmrs mag mount.   If it needed that it would have a place to put a ground wire.   Just run it.  I’ve got great distance 40-60 miles and swr with a mag mount and 20w radio.