POPULARITY OF GMRS

1 hour ago, WRKC935 said:
14 hours ago, Sshannon said:

On our repeater the ID has priority. If you’re talking when it has to ID it will interrupt. I’m surprised to hear that’s not standard. 

I am assuming that you are running a ham radio type controller on the repeater.

You’re right; it’s an older Yaesu DR-1, but I think I was wrong when I said the repeater would interrupt a transmission in order to ID.  After thinking about it I think it waits until a person releases the PTT to ID. 
But I was correct in believing that a user cannot interrupt the ID while it’s being transmitted. 

I'd bet half the traffic you hear in any large metropolitan area is not even licensed.  Particularly in the Las Angeles basin area.  And i would even stretch that to include actual repeaters.  I'm even hearing a lot of business using GMRS now, like Motels, Grocery Outlets, Construction Co, Landscaping Companies..  I've had a few landscaping companies try to use my repeater,  they are hard to get rid of, they don't care.  But when you learn who they are and get in touch with their owner and educate them on the FCC laws they will disappear.    Self Policing the GMRS repeater Bands and getting harder and harder, sometimes i just turn it off.  Thank goodness for the remote access.  

On 4/17/2024 at 9:47 AM, Sshannon said:

I didn’t say it was easy. That’s an absolute modifier. I was making a comparison. 
I said it was easier than getting a license for ham radio. 

Now for comparison..      

Navigate FCC site + $35 = GMRS 

Navigate FCC site + $35 + Test = Ham

24 Pack of Beer = $30

On 4/17/2024 at 9:47 AM, Sshannon said:

1 minute ago, WRUE951 said:

Yup,, I remember too,, HAMS was the go-to cheap stuff.  and it worked   

Or Old Milwaukee;  I never even knew about Burgie.

When I went to college the second time (having failed to graduate but succeeded in finding my perfect wife the first time around) we drank animal beer: Schmidt. 

I think GMRS is rad, I got my license but just don't have a lot of people in east San Diego using repeaters.  A new one went up recently and I actually talked to a guy on it which was kinda cool, other than that I have never had a radio check come back to me on the other one.  I got my HAM license and it is night and day, tons of good strong repeaters on peaks, lots of people talking and through a linked system I can hit my house 100+ miles away from down in the desert.