WSCL633

TechnoHam633

Question

4 answers to this question

It will work just not well.

It's just a really kinda compromised antenna. 2m-70cm and gmrs is a real big stretch, bandwidth wise.

So the swr values I got it was close to 2.1-2.5 give or take swr on the gmrs repeater. Some got lower swr, but my ditch light mount where the antenna is located is a compromise location. So take it with a grain of salt.

It heard gmrs better then my Larson 270. But the Larsen is up on the car.

Why?
Well the Larsen is extremely flexible and can/has taken a beating.

Some con with the 2x4sr. One it is thick (how it gets its bandwidth), tall and stiff. The other con is the hinge (mine started to loosen up in about a months time) as well as I found water starting to go through to the coil.

If you do get it expensive. The spring (Highly recommend it) adds cost and isn't included. Mine at least whacked everything. The thickness a benefit to bandwidth, made my antenna move way to much. It rocked the mount violently with every bump, one of the main reasons I went back to the Larsen.

In short if you don't need to have 2m/70cm you are better off with a dedicated gmrs 5/8th over 5/8th antenna.

Sorry for the long winded post.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I run a Comet 2x4SR on my SxS and it works well for GMRS right out of the package. I get between 1.6 and 1.8 SWR for 467 MHz and 1.2 SWR for 462 MHz. SWR is also good for 2m and 70cm. And I tested the SWR while the SxS was parked inside my garage so I know it will be better when it is outside and away from the metal garage doors and tracks.

I am going to add the spring kit to it.

I have the 2x4 on my wife's rig on a mag mount. She likes how it looks. Works fine on GMRS as far as I can tell. We talked 30 miles from base to it with the KG-935G+ hand held no problem. She uses a scanner with it as well and it works great for both uses.