GMRS/WiFi Backup Camera signal interference

Extreme

Question

I have my 1/4 wave antenna mounted on an 8" square plate on top of my Jeep's 3rd brake light bracket.  There's plenty of room for a steel bracket on the rear portion of the plate to mount a magnetic backup camera.  I'd like to go WiFi for the camera so am curious whether anyone might know if the GMRS signal will trash the WiFi signal or vise versa?  The antennas would be only inches apart.

It'll be an Amazon purchase so easily returnable if there's an issue, so I can test to find out and report if anyone gives a hoot.

TIA

8 answers to this question

Shouldn't 2 different frequency segments. Guess you are going to have to send it and find out.

But not 100% since non adjacent frequencies can still wipe each other out with enough power, suppression of harmonics. Especially, with antennas less then 1/2 wave length away (longest wavelength/ frequency).

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

It shouldn't.. .but, that is no guarantee..

I have one of the cheapest wifi-cameras you can buy mounted on my Jeep's 3rd brake-light/license plate bracket, and my antenna is mounted about a foot away above the passenger side brake-light (see image) - i've never suffered any interference.

image.jpeg.aeff2c762098bab1b06b3745ddbd2cb1.jpeg

11 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

Probably not.  But why not just run a wired camera?  You already have power running to the 3rd brake light and coax to the antenna so what’s one more wire to the camera?  

I want to use my Android phone or tablet (that I already have a RAM mount for) for the camera screen and not have to add a monitor to the Jeeps dash or rollbar.  

I can look for a monitor that's the same size as my tablet and see if it will fit the RAM.

12 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

It shouldn't.. .but, that is no guarantee..

I have one of the cheapest wifi-cameras you can buy mounted on my Jeep's 3rd brake-light/license plate bracket, and my antenna is mounted about a foot away above the passenger side brake-light (see image) - i've never suffered any interference.

image.jpeg.aeff2c762098bab1b06b3745ddbd2cb1.jpeg

Do you experience any delay camera - monitor?  Are you using Android or iOS?

3 minutes ago, Extreme said:

Do you experience any delay camera - monitor?  Are you using Android or iOS?

Mine came with its own little monitor that is mounted on the front-dash.. from the time I put the Jeep in Reverse, until the image shows on the screen, is about 1/2 second...  and as far as I can tell there is no transmission delay - the image is 'live' with no lag.

4 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

Mine came with its own little monitor that is mounted on the front-dash.. from the time I put the Jeep in Reverse, until the image shows on the screen, is about 1/2 second...  and as far as I can tell there is no transmission delay - the image is 'live' with no lag.

I'll look for one with an 7 or 8" monitor that should fit my RAM.