Where is all the info I need?

WSCJ959

Question

I got approval to use this repeater, (it is open to all but I requested request anyway).

I'm a total noob and have my Baofeng UV-5G Plus connected to Chirp Next.  I don't think this shows all the information I need to add it to my radio?  I mean I watched a bunch of videos and I don't see everything listed here that people are talking about adding?

What information from here goes in the columns on Chirp?

512E9C69-6BAD-478B-B9D3-D9307C56D245.jpeg

462.650 is your   receive frequency.   467.650 would be your transmit frequency.   You really do not need any CTCSS frequencies, so that should cover it.   If you put in the receive CTCSS tone, it means that you would only hear the repeater, no other transmissions made by anyone else.    That may make listening easier, but it is not needed to access and use the repeater.

8 minutes ago, WSAM454 said:

462.650 is your   receive frequency.   467.650 would be your transmit frequency.   You really do not need any CTCSS frequencies, so that should cover it.   If you put in the receive CTCSS tone, it means that you would only hear the repeater, no other transmissions made by anyone else.    That may make listening easier, but it is not needed to access and use the repeater.

Although for instance, if the local area had say, lots of interference or simplex on 462.65, tuning out the stuff as best as you can with the output tone in is a good idea if you just want repeater traffic.

So to set it exact, Tone Mode should be cross, Tone Squelch should be 136.5, Cross Mode should be ->Tone, duplex +, and Offset 5.000000

11 minutes ago, WSAM454 said:

SO I learned that the numbers in my radio that have a + by them means it's a repeater near me?  I just went to that frequency, (channel?) and I heard peoples conversations!

That tower, according to Google Maps is approx 15 miles away from us all the way down in Folsom!  Is it because we are up on top of a hill at 1530' elevation that I can reach it?

Some basics, most if not all GMRS repeaters have the + 5.000000 offset. You to the repeater would add that 5.0 to your outgoing freq, that way when its repeating it on 462.650, its not stepping on whats coming in.

14 minutes ago, WRXR255 said:

Although for instance, if the local area had say, lots of interference or simplex on 462.65, tuning out the stuff as best as you can with the output tone in is a good idea if you just want repeater traffic.

So to set it exact, Tone Mode should be cross, Tone Squelch should be 136.5, Cross Mode should be ->Tone, duplex +, and Offset 5.000000

Thank you!  When I choose "CROSS" it give me this pull down menu with so many choices?

B10C40B8-2B19-41EF-BD17-84342DC79397.jpeg

1 minute ago, WRXR255 said:

With the TSQL your sending tones up - now, since the repeater does not require them, it will ignore them, and still repeat.

It's the only option I could choose.  I'm so confused!  You have Facetime?! 🤣

It seems more confusing than it is.... you will get it, we all had to get it..

Screenshot2024-05-03at14_46_23.thumb.png.257ae8357ac0176247be7b39152df771.png

Location 166 is what it should look like.  Hit the options for tone mode, set to cross, it asks for the Mode, use the ->tone, then when you select that it needs the tone.  Go left to right with the settings.

2 minutes ago, WRXR255 said:

It seems more confusing than it is.... you will get it, we all had to get it..

Screenshot2024-05-03at14_46_23.thumb.png.257ae8357ac0176247be7b39152df771.png

Location 166 is what it should look like.  Hit the options for tone mode, set to cross, it asks for the Mode, use the ->tone, then when you select that it needs the tone.  Go left to right with the settings.

Yeah, for some reason when I choose "Cross" from the pull down menu it doesn't just populate the cell with Cross like you and @WRXB215 have.  If I choose "Cross" it pulls up that pull down menu in my screenshot and in that pull down menu there is no "Cross" choice either!

It says at the top of the dialog box, "Choose Cross Mode".

7 minutes ago, WRXR255 said:

Its going to be cross, but its thinking for you as in, OK, you selected cross, got it - so now we need to set the mode for the cross you selected.

Think I got it!

88E03BCA-7EC0-4605-A885-7E6F6B3733F5.jpeg

And i just noticed in my example file pulling up my code plug for my mobile radio, for memory 166, I misspelled Knob as Lnob.  Great, I need to buy a laptop.  Its a pain to pull my mobile out and bring it in to reprogram from my desktop...

I could do it by hand, but im too old and need readers glasses, F that 😂

34 minutes ago, WRXR255 said:

Yay!

😀

Can I double dip?  I just signed up for Radio Reference and got all the frequencies for around me loaded.  If I upload these to the radio, will they wipe out all my pre-programmed GMRS that came with the radio?

If yes, how do I add them without wiping out all the pre-programmed stuffs?

19F32985-D194-4732-A1E1-4102F92B2BEE.jpeg

1 minute ago, WSCJ959 said:

Can I double dip?  I just signed up for Radio Reference and got all the frequencies for around me loaded.  If I upload these to the radio, will they wipe out all my pre-programmed GMRS that came with the radio?

I do not own a GMRS specific radio, but I am pretty sure from what I know and what has been said and is the case, the basic simplex GMRS channels 1 - 14 and the 8 repeater freqs are hard coded somewhere in its programming.

So, you have saved and locked a downloaded file of your radio to restore yet? Do it, then lock that file, tinker with it and see, save it as a different working file.  All else goes pear shaped, you can restore at least.

6 minutes ago, WSCJ959 said:

If yes, how do I add them without wiping out all the pre-programmed stuffs?

19F32985-D194-4732-A1E1-4102F92B2BEE.jpeg

Before loading all of the stuff from Repeaterbook download from your radio to populate your codeplug.  Then add the repeaters you want from Repeaterbook.  If you don't download from your radio first, you do write over it.

8 minutes ago, WSCJ959 said:

Figured it out!  Select All, Copy, Paste after all the pre-programmed channels!!

Then the fun part.

Over time, some of the tones will get changed for various reasons, some repeaters will die, some new ones will crop up.

SIGH

Then you have to edit them and upload...

3 minutes ago, WRXR255 said:

Then the fun part.

Over time, some of the tones will get changed for various reasons, some repeaters will die, some new ones will crop up.

SIGH

Then you have to edit them and upload...

LOL!!

None of the names that were assigned to the frequencies I loaded show on the screen!  Is there a way to show names instead of channel/frequencies?