Frequency Question

n2877

Question

When scanning I came across 462.620 with people talking on it. Ive tried to get on that frequency but to no avail. I can't seem to find it when I search for it. any ideas to what I'm doing wrong or maybe they just don't like me for some reason. Is this possible a GMRS frequency? thanks for any help

4 minutes ago, n2877 said:

correction it there uv-5g. there gmrs radio

So you have the radio in VFO mode, and while scanning through frequencies near the GMRS channels, you overheard talk on 462.6200, which is 5khz below 462.6250, GMRS channel 18. The bandwidth at GMRS channel 18 is 20khz. So by being 5khz below the center, you would still be able to hear channel 18, just at a lower quality than if you were actually listening on 462.6250. 462.6250 with 20khz bandwidth spans 462.6150 to 462.6350. The freqency 462.6200 is within the +/-10khz bandwidth (20khz bandwidth overall) of 462.6250.

Imagine the old days when you would tune your FM radio with an analog knob, and see the station you're on using an analog indicator sliding along a transparent rule with markings on it. You basically turned the knob just slightly to the left. You still hear the transmission, it just doesn't sound as good because you're clipping off the higher frequency end of the transmission's bandwidth.

4 minutes ago, n2877 said:

When scanning I came across 462.620 with people talking on it. Ive tried to get on that frequency but to no avail. I can't seem to find it when I search for it. any ideas to what I'm doing wrong or maybe they just don't like me for some reason. Is this possible a GMRS frequency? thanks for any help

Here are the officially designated GMRS frequencies:

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-47/chapter-I/subchapter-D/part-95/subpart-E/section-95.1763

As others have said the frequency you heard is 5 kHz off from GMRS. 

20 minutes ago, n2877 said:

Curious. What radio are you using when you hear people talking on 462.620 and you "try to get on that frequency"? 

27 minutes ago, n2877 said:

462.620 is 5khz below GMRS channel 18 / 462.6250. Given that GMRS channels are spaced 25khz apart, with 20khz bandwidth, someone transmitting on 462.620 would fall within the bandwidth range of 462.6250 (which would be 462.6150 to 462.6350: 462.6250+/-10khz). It doesn't make sense that there would be an FCC approved device legally transmitting within the bandwidth of a GMRS channel which is approved for 20khz bandwidth.

23 minutes ago, kidphc said:

Might of stumbled on a lmr/commercial frequency.

I know private p25 repeaters of my friend is interstitial between the gmrs repeater frequencies.

You sure it wasn't 462.625?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Im not sure of anything other then my radio is set at 462.620. I could be off. could be missing the correct tone, not really sure. 

Just now, n2877 said:

Im not sure of anything other then my radio is set at 462.620. I could be off. could be missing the correct tone, not really sure. 

Tone has nothing to do with it.

If you are picking up on 462.620 you are possibly just tuned off-center for channel 18, 462.6250. If you configured your radio to 462.6250 you would probably hear a better quality version of the same transmission. What GMRS radio are you using?

5 minutes ago, WRQW589 said:

Tone has nothing to do with it.

If you are picking up on 462.620 you are possibly just tuned off-center for channel 18, 462.6250. If you configured your radio to 462.6250 you would probably hear a better quality version of the same transmission. What GMRS radio are you using?

thank you for your help

15 minutes ago, WRQW589 said:

So you have the radio in VFO mode, and while scanning through frequencies near the GMRS channels, you overheard talk on 462.6200, which is 5khz below 462.6250, GMRS channel 18. The bandwidth at GMRS channel 18 is 20khz. So by being 5khz below the center, you would still be able to hear channel 18, just at a lower quality than if you were actually listening on 462.6250. 462.6250 with 20khz bandwidth spans 462.6150 to 462.6350. The freqency 462.6200 is within the +/-10khz bandwidth (20khz bandwidth overall) of 462.6250.

Imagine the old days when you would tune your FM radio with an analog knob, and see the station you're on using an analog indicator sliding along a transparent rule with markings on it. You basically turned the knob just slightly to the left. You still hear the transmission, it just doesn't sound as good because you're clipping off the higher frequency end of the transmission's bandwidth.

thank you

6 minutes ago, n2877 said:

correction it there uv-5g. there gmrs radio

Just for kicks, set your radio (in memory mode) to channel 18. Or RPT-4, which I think on the UV-5G is 462.625. See if you hear those people talking. You would use channel 18 for simplex if you're talking directly to other folks also on channel 18. You would use the RPT channels if you are communicating through a repeater, because your radio transmits on 467.625 and listens on 462.625. Also, where do you live? You (or we) may be able to dentify the repeater you hear if in fact you are hearing one.

14 minutes ago, WRQC527 said:

Just for kicks, set your radio (in memory mode) to channel 18. Or RPT-4, which I think on the UV-5G is 462.625. See if you hear those people talking. You would use channel 18 for simplex if you're talking directly to other folks also on channel 18. You would use the RPT channels if you are communicating through a repeater, because your radio transmits on 467.625 and listens on 462.625. Also, where do you live? You (or we) may be able to dentify the repeater you hear if in fact you are hearing one.

ill try this. Im in a little town called bulverde. north of San Antonio

Just now, n2877 said:

I switched frequency to 462.625 and all better. Thanks again for all the help. One day I'll be able to help new people as I learn more.

If you have a UV-5G you should probably be using it in memory mode, not VFO mode, to talk to other GMRS and FRS users.

VFO mode serves more advanced needs, like allowing you to listen to any frequency within the devices range, and to go directly to a frequency, without the convenience of memory slots. You can still only transmit on the GMRS frequencies, which are pre-programmed into the memory slots in memory mode. Later you may set up a PL or DCS tone for a GMRS channel to have quieter communications between you and the other radio. And at some point you may find a repeater to use, get permission to use it, and then set up your equipment to efficiently access that repeater by programming a memory slot for it. You can do that painfully through the keypad, or more easily with Chirp software, though even that requires a little technical understanding to get it running and to use it correctly. 

3 minutes ago, WRQW589 said:

If you have a UV-5G you should probably be using it in memory mode, not VFO mode, to talk to other GMRS and FRS users.

VFO mode serves more advanced needs, like allowing you to listen to any frequency within the devices range, and to go directly to a frequency, without the convenience of memory slots. You can still only transmit on the GMRS frequencies, which are pre-programmed into the memory slots in memory mode. Later you may set up a PL or DCS tone for a GMRS channel to have quieter communications between you and the other radio. And at some point you may find a repeater to use, get permission to use it, and then set up your equipment to efficiently access that repeater by programming a memory slot for it. You can do that painfully through the keypad, or more easily with Chirp software, though even that requires a little technical understanding to get it running and to use it correctly. 

Im learning the ends and outs of chirp and it is my new preferred way to program my radios. Just need a better antenna for the radio and one day a better radio. All in good time

5 hours ago, nokones said:

Chalk it up to another cheap Chinese Radio POS that can't get it right and is off freq. causing problems. Typical Chinese junk. That frequency is definitely not an allocated freq. 

I'm noticing more and more $18 Chinese junk POS from Amazon being used by people on Jeep runs these days. You can always tell when they key up their Bowwangers.

Also, I'm sure that some people don't know how to program their Bowwangers for  narrowband channel operation and that is contributing to some of the comm. problems.

Speaking from my experience, also just getting into the GMRS thing, I'm not going to spend mega bucks on something just starting out, until I learn the basics.  Plenty of people are using Boofwangs or something similar at first (we aren't all made of money, so excuse us for not dropping $200 on up on a radio).  As I understand it, using narrowband presents its own issues, especially on a repeater.