Programming question

n2877

Question

I’ve been trying to connect to a repeater that I pick up. But can’t seem to connect. It’s on 462.625 and according to MyGMRS it input and output is 100.0Hz. So I set r-cycs and t-ctcs to 100.0Hz offset is +5.000. What else might I be doing wrong. I can hear people talking

18 answers to this question

Don't trust the coverage map. They can be set by the repeater post owners. Often are a guesstimate, with little to no verification.

Couple that with a 50w base station vs a 5w ht then its acrual coverage can/may/usually will be different.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, n2877 said:

I’ve been trying to connect to a repeater that I pick up. But can’t seem to connect. It’s on 462.625 and according to MyGMRS it input and output is 100.0Hz. So I set r-cycs and t-ctcs to 100.0Hz offset is +5.000. What else might I be doing wrong. I can hear people talking

If you hear them but they don’t hear you, make sure you’re on a repeater channel.  You should be transmitting on 467.625 MHz.

4 hours ago, kidphc said:

Are you sure it's a repeater output?

The repeater outputs are the simplex frequencies.

If in fact it is a repeater output. I would tone scan to see what it is.

You may have found an unpublished repeater in your area. Or simply found a repeater you can not key up due to distances.

I frequently here the Towson repeater at my home. But can not key it up due to the distance. The repeater transmits better then it hears from my location.

How do you tone scan?

44 minutes ago, n2877 said:

I’m rocking a uv5r and uv9g I’m within 30 miles or so

I have both of those radios. 30 miles is gonna be a bit to far most of the time with a hand held unless you have amazing line of sight and altitude.  You would need better antennas as well usually for 30miles.  I’d say drive closer and closer untill you can get a radio check back.  It’s gonna be an experiment.  

Thanks for all the help. As stated by some, the repeater is too far from my house to reach with my current setup of ht radios. But I can hear it just fine because it’s pushing signal far enough. Now I just need to find a close repeater to me that I can use. This has been a learning experience for sure. Now I also have to get use to using my uv5rm plus

Are you sure it's a repeater output?

The repeater outputs are the simplex frequencies.

If in fact it is a repeater output. I would tone scan to see what it is.

You may have found an unpublished repeater in your area. Or simply found a repeater you can not key up due to distances.

I frequently here the Towson repeater at my home. But can not key it up due to the distance. The repeater transmits better then it hears from my location.

Like already said a repeater is usually up high with a good antenna and a high watt radio 40,50w ect.   It can reach a long way.  But you may not be close enough to it.   What radio and antenna set up are you running?  How far away are you from the repeater?   Have you asked the repeater owner? They are usually a wealth of info about coverage.