Morse Code Static

Sometimes I hear what sounds like Morse Code, but in the form of static bursts, not tones, as if someone is keying a mic.     Some days this can go on for a long time as if someone is having a conversation.     Mostly on channels 16 - 21.   Any idea?

Sounds like you might be picking up actual CW from an HF, VHF, or UHF, source.  CW used in conversation is far more common on HF (aka short wave), but there are hams who use it on VHF and even UHF in the "weak signal" portions of those ham bands.  Morse ID's on repeaters (often erroneously referred to as CW) will contain a tone with each dit or dah.  CW or Continuous Wave (interrupted by the use of a key or keying device) will normally sound like someone keying and unkeying a mic with no voice or other intelligence added.

Most of the CCJ (Cheap Chinese Junk) radios on the market today have direct conversion receivers and little if any filtering, so your picking up actual CW from one of the aforementioned ham sources is entirely possible.  If the signal is not strong or it mixes with other signals or modes, it very well could sound like buzzes or static.

5 minutes ago, RayP said:

Sounds like you might be picking up actual CW from an HF, VHF, or UHF, source.  CW used in conversation is far more common on HF (aka short wave), but there are hams who use it on VHF and even UHF in the "weak signal" portions of those ham bands.  Morse ID's on repeaters (often erroneously referred to as CW) will contain a tone with each dit or dah.  CW or Continuous Wave (interrupted by the use of a key or keying device) will normally sound like someone keying and unkeying a mic with no voice or other intelligence added.

Most of the CCJ (Cheap Chinese Junk) radios on the market today have direct conversion receivers and little if any filtering, so your picking up actual CW from one of the aforementioned ham sources is entirely possible.  If the signal is not strong or it mixes with other signals or modes, it very well could sound like buzzes or static.

If we're just going to straight up ignore the simplest explanation of why there might be morse code on repeater channels, screw it, let's just say it's aliens 🙄

44 minutes ago, amaff said:

If we're just going to straight up ignore the simplest explanation of why there might be morse code on repeater channels, screw it, let's just say it's aliens 🙄

We ignored the OP's description of the sound, though: "I hear what sounds like Morse Code, but in the form of static bursts, not tones,". I don't typically hear repeaters identifying with bursts of static. I suppose a simple explanation for that could be that the repeater is a bit out of range, and is identifying with CW, so we're just hearing a signal that was mostly lost along the way.

Just now, RayP said:

Aye!  Also ignored was OP's observation that, "Some days this can go on for a long time as if someone is having a conversation.", which leads me to believe this is a CW QSO rather than simply a repeater's Morse ID.

And I ignored the part where you mentioned that CW is not synonymous with Morse Code. The HAM references often seem to use them interchangeably, but yes, CW is a carrier wave or continuous wave, with no modulation, whereas Morse Code is an encoding protocol that is often used in CW transmissions but can also be used in FM, AM, and SSB transmissions, or light transmissions, or banging on a heater duct in a prison. :)