..nevermind....

• OffRoaderX changed the title to ..nevermind....
2 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

..nevermind...

Aww, I was hoping to get a juicy story on how the fcc kicked in their door, shot their dog, and confiscated their kids Spongebob Squarepants walkie talkies.

It happens all the time, according to the internet, so it must be true.. 😂

10 minutes ago, amaff said:

What was "it"? I didn't see this pop up anywhere else but here so I must've missed it

Hi Amaff!  In the comments on Not A Rubicon's most recent YouTube video (New Midland GMRS ht's), a poster said that the FCC had shut down a repeater in New York state for "linking to the internet" or similar.  Randy asked several important questions in trying to get to the bottom of the alleged issue, with the poster swearing that this really happened.  Randy provided his contact info.  It appears from the OP above, it may have all been bs.

22 minutes ago, RayP said:

Hi Amaff!  In the comments on Not A Rubicon's most recent YouTube video (New Midland GMRS ht's), a poster said that the FCC had shut down a repeater in New York state for "linking to the internet" or similar.  Randy asked several important questions in trying to get to the bottom of the alleged issue, with the poster swearing that this really happened.  Randy provided his contact info.  It appears from the OP above, it may have all been bs.

I’m glad you posted this explanation because I thought your other post implied that Randy posts BS. I’m glad to be wrong. 

20 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

The NotARubicon Institute Research Staff is digging deeper and there IS something to this story - and the results may shock you...
Stay tooned for the upcoming video.

Okay!  I will be anxiously awaiting the Paul Harvey on this.  Thanks for the reply!  Out of "likes" for today but I will come back tomorrow and leave one.

I was on that repeater when I visited my son.  I didn't know it was a linked repeater until I realized there were several of them with the same name.  Pretty cool I was listening to Niagra Falls talks while I was near Utica.  166 miles.  After I realized I heard some of the members say it was linked by RF.  So no foul.

Like I said, I was just listening to people that had been using this way more than me.  It was my first time on it and I only discovered it was linked a day later when I noticed how far it reached when it shouldn't have been able to.  I could only assume these people knew what they were talking about.  I had no way of knowing otherwise.

Apparently, the affected system is the NY GMRS Alliaance system and it appears that there is unconfirmed information that the said FCC Notification may be a scam attempt against this GMRS Alliaance.

Hopefully, Randy has his hounds on the trail.

That still doesn't totally add up. If it was just a friendly head's up, what do they need a list of callsigns for? Or the hard "TODAY" deadline? That's less friendly and more potentially scare tactics.

It's not like e-mail headers can't be spoofed. I'm still leaning towards 'ol boy wanted a convenient excuse to get the club off of his gear' but who knows.

I mean, he knows, but he's not talking much, apparently.

On 6/20/2024 at 9:02 AM, nokones said:

The alleged violation was for being interconnected by "wireline" in violation of 95.1733.a.8. The warning that Randy conveyed didn't mention anything about the "internet". The "wireline" and "internet" systems are totally different media and infrastructures. 

Do the FCC rules make the distinction?  If not the fault is with the FCC for not being current -- or Congress for not being current.