FCC Shutdown of New York GMRS Linked Repeater System

It's obvious that some are reacting to the shutdown of this network with extreme glee, and are expecting the FCC to drop the hammer on every other linked GMRS system any day now.  Could that happen?  Sure.  Could that NOT happen?  Yes.

But many of the allegations that are being thrown about are simply not true.  This was not a multi-state system.  I have no idea where that idea even came from.  The system used ONE repeater pair (hence simulcast).  There were (and are) a number of other repeaters in the region using different frequencies and some pairs that are vacant, so the system wasn't crowding anyone out.  The system was not owned by the club ... the club had permission to use it.  Yes, the club collected dues ... but so do most if not all amateur radio clubs.  Did some (or all) of those collected funds get used to support the repeaters?  I believe so, but since I was not a member I cannot say for sure.  But this was NOT pay-to-play ... the repeater system was open to ANYONE, club member or not.  I know, because I used the system, and am friends with others who WERE members.

As others have pointed out, this was NOT precipitated by an official notice from the FCC.  The owner of the system got a "heads-up" email from someone at the FCC and reacted as they felt best.  I also find it interesting that the letter seemed to call out the voting receivers specifically, rather than the liniking of the repeaters.

1 hour ago, WRUE951 said:

There was a rogue linked repeater system in operation and it linked across multiple states. 

You keep sayign this was a "rougue" linked system. It was a simulcast system in NY and NY only. Not sure why this system gets singled out but the others aren;t ? I just looked a the main page and see this area of linked repeaters are they not rougue ? 

image.png.3b199e5e56f6af5b2e2b5e7d36b050a7.png

1 hour ago, WRUE951 said:

Other then the 'inside dope' we  heard, your are somewhat right,  we don't know the complete detail of conversation owner/operator had with the FCC 

The "inside dope" as you call it is a well respected radio tech in the LMR/Public Safety world in his area. I dont know you folks think the real LMR world operates but its not even remotely like GMRS or HAM radio and the guys in the field know what they are doing. I dont understand how all these keyboard warriers are so smart yet there is a definate need for RF guys in that field.   

28 minutes ago, WRUE951 said:

Not sure where you are coming form or tying to say.. 

Yes, as previously noted, you do seem to have extreme reading comprehension issues. Not to mention that there's no "form or tying" involved at all...

I'm not sure how much clearer I can be than "Maybe take the attitude down three or four notches?  You don't persuade people by yelling at them, especially when all you have to contradict their well supported arguments is sarcasm and 'you're wrong!'...", but I'll do my best.  

How about this:  Stop trying so hard to be a dick, and maybe people will take you more seriously.

17 hours ago, marcspaz said:

Then there are service such as Amateur Radio, which allow anyone to operate with the station call sign of the licensee.  

An exception here is the third party traffic regs. If there is no third party traffic agreement with the (DX) station's government, only the licensees can converse.

16 minutes ago, gortex2 said:

You keep sayign this was a "rougue" linked system. It was a simulcast system in NY and NY only. Not sure why this system gets singled out but the others aren;t ? I just looked a the main page and see this area of linked repeaters are they not rougue ? 

The "inside dope" as you call it is a well respected radio tech in the LMR/Public Safety world in his area. I dont know you folks think the real LMR world operates but its not even remotely like GMRS or HAM radio and the guys in the field know what they are doing. I dont understand how all these keyboard warriers are so smart yet there is a definate need for RF guys in that field.   

going out on a limb is the risk taken and lesson learned (hopefully)..   You can use RF technology in many ways to defeat the purpose of intended use..  I'll never be 'that guy' to stretch out on a limb, especially after well served clairfication came into play..   And i would be very hesitant using anyone playing with the FCC rules to touch any of my LMR/Public Safety radio business.  I believe you left a word out in your last sentence, you should have said "yet there is a definite need for intelligent RF guys in that field"

11 minutes ago, Blaise said:

Yes, as previously noted, you do seem to have extreme reading comprehension issues. Not to mention that there's no "form or tying" involved at all...

I'm not sure how much clearer I can be than "Maybe take the attitude down three or four notches?  You don't persuade people by yelling at them, especially when all you have to contradict their well supported arguments is sarcasm and 'you're wrong!'...", but I'll do my best.  

How about this:  Stop trying so hard to be a dick, and maybe people will take you more seriously.

What, you want me to say in a tone.  "oh child, you did so well, you got all the answer right'  is that tone better.      

20 minutes ago, WRUE951 said:

you want me to say in a tone.  "oh child, you did so well, you got all the answer right'  is that tone better.

I don't want you to say anything at all.  I was simply trying to explain that your overaggressive attitude and unfounded insistence on being right in the face of logic and evidence presented to the contrary a) make you come off as a dick, and b) will never convince anyone of anything.

But hey, by all means, if you want to just be blocked by half the people who read your posts, keep it up!

1 hour ago, gortex2 said:

Y

Interesting, i was able to tie those owner/operators together using my kml database.  Another area with multiple repeaters under one license.   I told you this was getting way out of hand....   and this is why i object to it.  

8 hours ago, WRUE951 said:

the FCC spoke to said owner/operator of rogue linked repeater operation advising they will not tolerate operation and gave specific orders to shut it down

Again you are stretching the facts. What we heard was someone who works at the FCC and had a relationship with the owner advised him to shut it down. That's not the same as the FCC saying shut it down and it's still second hand. You can "maybe this" and "maybe that" all day but the fact is we have no confirmation from the owner of anything. You are entitled to opinons on what may have happened, we all are but it doesn't make it so. Hell I'm not a fan of the idea of linking GMRS repeaters but that doesn't mean I'm streching the facts to support how I feel. 

1 hour ago, WRUU653 said:

Again you are stretching the facts. What we heard was someone who works at the FCC and had a relationship with the owner advised him to shut it down. That's not the same as the FCC saying shut it down and it's still second hand. You can "maybe this" and "maybe that" all day but the fact is we have no confirmation from the owner of anything. You are entitled to opinons on what may have happened, we all are but it doesn't make it so. Hell I'm not a fan of the idea of linking GMRS repeaters but that doesn't mean I'm streching the facts to support how I feel. 

the FCC spoke to them two times..   According to the interview anyway..    I dont know how you can stretch what we all heard in that video.     blah blah blah......   Just sitting here on the sidelines,,  they go after one, they go after all.   Waiting to see what happens..   

12 hours ago, WRUE951 said:

i gave mine a 101 book on telling people of 'F' Off in a polite manor.     

Wait.. What??? polite manner?  You some kind of kinder gentler leftist that believes words are violence or some stupid crap like that?  If someone deserves to be told to F OFF you look them in the eye like a man and tell them to F OFF.  There is no polite at that point.  If that's what they have coming, that's what they get.  You don't try to be polite.  You don't try to sugar coat it or attempt to spare their feelings.  At the point that F OFF is appropriate, that's what they get.  

Speaking of F OFF,

You sit here going on over and over on the forum that HOSTS the linking servers for the ROGUE REPEATERS and continue to pop off at the mouth about how these ROGUE REPEATERS are the bane of GMRS and will no doubt destroy the very fabric of the GMRS service, and anything else related to Part 95. 

You don't like the idea of linking repeaters.  We get it.  All too well. 

THE HORSE IS DEAD.... leave it be already. 

7 minutes ago, WRKC935 said:

And in truth, we don't even know that happened.

Essentially we have nothing confirmed.  We have an interview with a club member who said he had 2nd hand information about what happened.  It's all speculation on some slim facts.  All I know is the 3 repeaters went down and were also taken out of the Map section here.  Made it look pretty official that they went offline.  Until I get back up to NY in that area I can't say for sure the repeater I was using is gone.  It was the Alliance Repeater with a 71.9Hz input tone.  It was an open repeater.  I was in the shadow of some rather large hills so I never had good coverage even though I was fairly close.

11 hours ago, WRKC935 said:

If someone deserves to be told to F OFF you look them in the eye like a man and tell them to F OFF. 

I didn't read the book, but I'll check with my son, who did read it,  to see if his book says it's appropriate to say "F off"  But i'm sure it does.