Nostalgia? And GMRS's future. Your ideas?

There's not really that much of a question here, but it would be interesting to hear people's feelings and comments on the state of GMRS.

I recently got back into radio after the passing of my wife and in an effort to pass boredom at night. I came across my 47-year-old CB radio that had been packed away and not thought about for at least 43 of those years. I bought an antenna, coax, and turned it on.... nothing. Or at least nothing that was interesting to listen to or anyone to realistically communicate with. I thought with my proximity to the local beltway and interstate there would be something going on. With that being the case, I figured cell phones, social media, and streaming TV had pretty much made CB obsolete. The old days of having group chats any night of the week on different channels among friends while using handles, that reflected their personalities, rather than using call signs which were usually announced when signing off using old ten codes. Yeah, back then one had to purchase licenses for CB. I can still remember mine. Guess the FCC gave up on that band. I can remember talking throughout the week on radio and then putting faces to the voices on weekends for a Saturday morning coffee break usually at a Shoney’s or Bob's big boy. Time marches on I guess, and things changed, but I have really good memories from back then. Time to look for something else.

Anyhow, I've always known about HAM or amateur radio, but also knew it came with studying for a license which was simply more effort than I was wanted to put in. I read about GMRS, which seems a little like CB 2.0 having a purchasable license but still seem to have some of the elements of HAM as well, in that it can use repeaters and required user identification. I monitored a lot of channels for a while with a cheap Baofeng just to get an idea of what, if any radio equipment I wanted to invest in. As previously mentioned, I didn't want to put in the time for HAM licensing, not to say I won't in the future, but it seems to me that is all about making contacts which doesn't seem to fill my needs. There is a very good GMRS repeater here in town with very good coverage given the terrain, as well as some more localized repeaters. I ended up purchasing and setting up my own repeater and after some hard learned lessons (radio desensing is real problem and coax on UHF, don't cheap on it... they mean it, use LMR400 at minimum), I finally got the results and coverage that I anticipated from my own setup. I am disappointed though that most people I interact with still seem to use it sort of like ham in they mostly just want signal, location, and call sign to log somewhere. There are a few people I hear from time to time that appear to be coworkers chatting on simplex. I occasionally will hear traveling groups in separate cars just keeping contact as they move through the area and every morning, I hear a Wegman's distribution center talking about which docks they need to be on. I know that a few off-roading groups and campers tend to use it but mostly in simplex. So that leads me to wonder, is this all there is? What is the direction and future of GMRS in your honest opinion. Am I being too nostalgic? Maybe so.

4 minutes ago, WSAH786 said:

There's not really that much of a question here, but it would be interesting to hear people's feelings and comments on the state of GMRS.

I recently got back into radio after the passing of my wife and in an effort to pass boredom at night. I came across my 47-year-old CB radio that had been packed away and not thought about for at least 43 of those years. I bought an antenna, coax, and turned it on.... nothing. Or at least nothing that was interesting to listen to or anyone to realistically communicate with. I thought with my proximity to the local beltway and interstate there would be something going on. With that being the case, I figured cell phones, social media, and streaming TV had pretty much made CB obsolete. The old days of having group chats any night of the week on different channels among friends while using handles, that reflected their personalities, rather than using call signs which were usually announced when signing off using old ten codes. Yeah, back then one had to purchase licenses for CB. I can still remember mine. Guess the FCC gave up on that band. I can remember talking throughout the week on radio and then putting faces to the voices on weekends for a Saturday morning coffee break usually at a Shoney’s or Bob's big boy. Time marches on I guess, and things changed, but I have really good memories from back then. Time to look for something else.

Anyhow, I've always known about HAM or amateur radio, but also knew it came with studying for a license which was simply more effort than I was wanted to put in. I read about GMRS, which seems a little like CB 2.0 having a purchasable license but still seem to have some of the elements of HAM as well, in that it can use repeaters and required user identification. I monitored a lot of channels for a while with a cheap Baofeng just to get an idea of what, if any radio equipment I wanted to invest in. As previously mentioned, I didn't want to put in the time for HAM licensing, not to say I won't in the future, but it seems to me that is all about making contacts which doesn't seem to fill my needs. There is a very good GMRS repeater here in town with very good coverage given the terrain, as well as some more localized repeaters. I ended up purchasing and setting up my own repeater and after some hard learned lessons (radio desensing is real problem and coax on UHF, don't cheap on it... they mean it, use LMR400 at minimum), I finally got the results and coverage that I anticipated from my own setup. I am disappointed though that most people I interact with still seem to use it sort of like ham in they mostly just want signal, location, and call sign to log somewhere. There are a few people I hear from time to time that appear to be coworkers chatting on simplex. I occasionally will hear traveling groups in separate cars just keeping contact as they move through the area and every morning, I hear a Wegman's distribution center talking about which docks they need to be on. I know that a few off-roading groups and campers tend to use it but mostly in simplex. So that leads me to wonder, is this all there is? What is the direction and future of GMRS in your honest opinion. Am I being too nostalgic? Maybe so.

First, I’m very sorry for your loss. 
Second, although there are some people who use GMRS like ham radio, listening for people to visit on either repeaters or using a popular calling channel like 19, for most of us it’s a service we use to support communications while engaging in other activities, like hiking, biking, rocketry (that’s mine) etc. 

Additionally some people have adopted it as a way to communicate and gather information in an apocalyptic event. 
But I will tell you that if you want to reach out to others over longer distances and visit with others who are interested in radio, ham radio is much more active than GMRS in more places. Plus it has never been easier to study for the tests and Morse code is no longer required. 

1 hour ago, WSAH786 said:

What is the direction and future of GMRS in your honest opinion. Am I being too nostalgic?

Growing up with Smokey and the Bandit and CBs in every vehicle is a great memory of mine.  I do think that the use of cell phones have made it much easier to communicate in some of the same ways that made CB useful (traffic jams and bear traps).  

There is a place for GMRS tho but it will be specific to each individual (or users).  As SteveShannon mentioned, we use it to communicate with kids who don’t have phones or where phones don’t reach.  Or, if the cell networks are jammed up bc everyone needs data during a hurricane (yea, that happens).  

Can I ask….? if you have your own repeater are you advertising it?  Are you talking to people out in the world and talking to people on it once they join your repeater? Do you have weekly net check ins?   You could bring up topics after the weekly check ins, or even play games like radio bingo or have local get  togethers in real life.   Encourage wives and children to use it.  Have kids check ins maybe?  Have round tables where you talk about…cars, radios, antennas, other hobbys,……   Gmrs is designed as a bring your own friends kind of thing but yet repeaters bring a different level to that.  And if you have your own repeater you can have the chance to guide the way the repeater is used.  It takes a while but as people find your repeater they will adapt to the way it’s used by the owner. 

In my area, D.C., we "use" to have heavily used multiple repeaters.

Well, this was till, some one bitched on an group where a tons of people in the area where part of. Openly bitched, about it not being ham. That people shouldn't rag chew yadda yadda. This killed almost all the traffic. He was not the repeaters owner. Both the repeater owner and I are friends with him
Then a member whom everyone knew passed away. He was always listening and always talked to everyone. God speed Roland, 42.

The repeaters then fell silent because of the two events. Now all we get is radio checks.

Myself, I am a ham, I have tried to keep all the ham crap off of gmrs. Trying to teach radio basics, get the antenna up high etc. I am at this point done with radio as well due to the anti-ham rhetoric. So much so I have been trying to return all my borrowed equipment, and ham disconnected and boxed much of of my gear.

I am sorry for the way you feel about the hobby. There are great people out there. It isn't easy to connect with them at times. But is well worth all the efforts

I will say amateur technician test isn't hard, in fact, it's barely an effort. Most that have taken it will agree. But, if you are into rag chewing, experimenting with antennas, or "feeling better than your fellow radio operator", according to non-amateurs. It's for you, and offers some incredible things.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, kidphc said:

Myself, I am a ham, I have tried to keep all the ham crap off of gmrs.

Some times there is some interesting stuff, even on the Ham repeaters. One night I was out walking after dark while monitoring a distant Ham 70cm repeater. Two guys chatted away for about 45 minutes to an hour about model railroading. It was refreshing to hear something not radio related in any way. I've heard topics from hunting, fishing to firearms at times as more examples. These are topics even non technical people can jump in and take part without feeling they are the outcasts. Maybe we need more of it, talking about every day stuff where the radio is just another means to facilitate the communications.

29 minutes ago, Lscott said:

Maybe we need more of it, talking about every day stuff where the radio is just another means to facilitate the communications.

This is the nature of most of what I hear and take part in where I live. Both GMRS and ham. There are technical discussions about radios, but that seems to be about 30-40% of the time.

4 hours ago, kidphc said:

I am sorry for the way you feel about the hobby. There are great people out there. It isn't easy to connect with them at times. But is well worth all the efforts

Sorry about your friend. Sad how life events can affect random things. As mentioned above that’s kind of how I ended up tinkering with radio again. I'm not feeling really down on radio... just probably set my expectations too high. I've added a lot of non-GMRS frequencies to my base (KG1000G +) and scan through them at night and early mornings before work. mostly hear activity from Kings Dominion and occasionally Bass Pro shop. The nearby airport I only get the FedEx traffic, that must be data because it's just a buzzing noise.

I actually was listening this morning to GMRS and had two clear and strong signals coming from, what one guy claimed was a Falls Church repeater. I didn't interrupt, but one was claiming to be in Alexandria, and the other in Delaware hitting this repeater on GMRS. I feel like they were screwing with me, but they didn't know I was listening. That's 83 miles away. I was getting almost full signal from them and clear modulation. One guy mentioned that the sunrise would disrupt them. I didn't know such a thing would interfere. Oh well, could have been pulling my leg.  I’m sure I will dabble with ham in the future. I have been considering a technicians license. All good food for thought!

Thanks for the input.

Sorry about your friend. Sad how life events can affect random things. As mentioned above that’s kind of how I ended up tinkering with radio again. I'm not feeling really down on radio... just probably set my expectations too high. I've added a lot of non-GMRS frequencies to my base (KG1000G +) and scan through them at night and early mornings before work. mostly hear activity from Kings Dominion and occasionally Bass Pro shop. The nearby airport I only get the FedEx traffic, that must be data because it's just a buzzing noise.

I actually was listening this morning to GMRS and had two clear and strong signals coming from, what one guy claimed was a Falls Church repeater. I didn't interrupt, but one was claiming to be in Alexandria, and the other in Delaware hitting this repeater on GMRS. I feel like they were screwing with me, but they didn't know I was listening. That's 83 miles away. I was getting almost full signal from them and clear modulation. One guy mentioned that the sunrise would disrupt them. I didn't know such a thing would interfere. Oh well, could have been pulling my leg.  I’m sure I will dabble with ham in the future. I have been considering a technicians license. All good food for thought!
Thanks for the input.
You are hearing several of the aforementioned dc area gmrs repeaters. They weren't messing with you.

Yes those repeaters (not often), can reach deep into the heart of va. Try programming bull run, Warrenton, blue mountain and possible Capon mountain (wva).

Prime example, I was passing your neck of the woods on 95n comming from north Carolina. I could hear, Warrenton, loud and clear. Keep in mind she sits basically in Warrenton proper. She talks a lot better than she hears, unfortunately.

On 6/25/2024 at 8:33 AM, kidphc said:

In my area, D.C., we "use" to have heavily used multiple repeaters.

Well, this was till, some one bitched on an group where a tons of people in the area where part of. Openly bitched, about it not being ham. That people shouldn't rag chew yadda yadda. This killed almost all the traffic. He was not the repeaters owner. Both the repeater owner and I are friends with him
Then a member whom everyone knew passed away. He was always listening and always talked to everyone. God speed Roland, 42.

The repeaters then fell silent because of the two events. Now all we get is radio checks.

I'm a more casual GMRS user in the area, but have noticed the drop in repeater activity. Sorry to hear about Roland, remember talking to him once.

I like the occasional "rag chew" on open repeaters to know they're still working. Is talking on radio considered "ham" now?  I'm not in the group where this discussion took place.

I'm a more casual GMRS user in the area, but have noticed the drop in repeater activity. Sorry to hear about Roland, remember talking to him once.
I like the occasional "rag chew" on open repeaters to know they're still working. Is talking on radio considered "ham" now?  I'm not in the group where this discussion took place.
Mostly in the nova group on facebook. Original post was removed. But the damage was done.

@WSAH786 

I know you said you didn't want ham license but if you miss the conversations from days of CB I am going to recommend it. I am not going to say "The test is easy or whatever" but i think you may enjoy the end result of a General Ham License more than you are currently getting out of GMRS and there is no longer a morse code requirement for the ham test.

You can use ham radio however you want within the law and a lot of people have little impromptu group chats like you are describing.

I say all of this as someone who uses GMRS much more than my Ham license mainly due to my family being covered under my GMRS license.  

8 hours ago, WRYC373 said:

i think you may enjoy the end result of a General Ham License more than you are currently getting out of GMRS and there is no longer a morse code requirement for the ham test

I'm not totally against Ham, just haven't researched it heavily. So, a Technician's License wouldn't give me what I need? I would need a General License?  

7 minutes ago, WSAH786 said:

I'm not totally against Ham, just haven't researched it heavily. So, a Technician's License wouldn't give me what I need? I would need a General License?  

General class has these additional features.

• Operate digital modes. Generals can operate all digital modes on HF, including FT8, which has become the most popular mode--not just the most popular digital mode--on the HF bands.
  • Operate SSB phone on HF bands below 28 MHz.
  • Operate on the 20-meter band. The 20-meter band is arguably the best band for “working DX,” that is to say making contacts with stations in foreign countries.
  • Operate in more contests. Because Generals have more operating privileges, they are able to more fully participate in amateur radio contests than are Technicians,
  • Administer amateur radio examinations. Generals can become Volunteer Examiners (VEs), although they are only allowed to administer Technician Class exams.

There are other frequencies available to General class that Technician class can't use:

2200m, 630m, 160m, 80m (Tech can use CW in some portions of 80m), 60m (5 channels), 40m (Tech can use CW in some portions), 30m, 20m, 17m, 15m (CW available to Tech in 15m), 12m, and 5x more space in 10m. If you only want 2m and above, there's not as much difference.

Amateur Radio Allocations Apr 2017.jpg