Ailunce HA1G - sold by Retevis

jenksjr

Question

Anyone have experience with the Ailunce HA1G? It is sold by Retevis. Having an issue with one I recently purchased. The features looked great. They seem to be solidly built and are suppose to be waterproof. There are 220 channels available for custom configurations. So, I though I would check them out.

While setting up and testing two HA1G's a experienced a perculiar problem. When I would receive a transmission from a repeater I would receive a loud noise burst on the HA1G when the transmission end. It was very annoying to say the least. I test this with with an Anytone D878UVII Pro hand held in simpex mode. Same thing happens. I don't noise bursts on the Anytone only on the HA1G. After contacting Retevis support I was asked to do several tests. During those tests I found several interesting things. Setting the HA1G to use Digital Tone Squelch seemed to stop the noise burst. Of course, this doesn't really solve the problem. Since you would need every repeater you work would have to transmit a DCS tone that you have programmed in the HA1G. I find many GMRS repeaters don't transmitt any tone squelch codes at all. So, that leaves you to working only repeaters that have a DCS tone transmitted. I also found that tranmissions between the two HA1G do not experience the noise burst. Go figure!.

I would be interested in any feedback on this subject.

I would hesitate to recommend this radio until I can get a good answer for the issue.

10 answers to this question

Thanks for the reply. I have checked that and made some changes to setting on the HA1G and my RT97 repeater. Seemed be no affect. I have several other hand held radios and mobiles, I never had issues like this. To me it is specific to these new radios. Waiting for more info from Retevis. 

9 hours ago, jenksjr said:

Anyone have experience with the Ailunce HA1G? It is sold by Retevis. Having an issue with one I recently purchased. The features looked great. They seem to be solidly built and are suppose to be waterproof. There are 220 channels available for custom configurations. So, I though I would check them out.

While setting up and testing two HA1G's a experienced a perculiar problem. When I would receive a transmission from a repeater I would receive a loud noise burst on the HA1G when the transmission end. It was very annoying to say the least. I test this with with an Anytone D878UVII Pro hand held in simpex mode. Same thing happens. I don't noise bursts on the Anytone only on the HA1G. After contacting Retevis support I was asked to do several tests. During those tests I found several interesting things. Setting the HA1G to use Digital Tone Squelch seemed to stop the noise burst. Of course, this doesn't really solve the problem. Since you would need every repeater you work would have to transmit a DCS tone that you have programmed in the HA1G. I find many GMRS repeaters don't transmitt any tone squelch codes at all. So, that leaves you to working only repeaters that have a DCS tone transmitted. I also found that tranmissions between the two HA1G do not experience the noise burst. Go figure!.

I would be interested in any feedback on this subject.

I would hesitate to recommend this radio until I can get a good answer for the issue.

Look in the manual for something called “squelch tail eliminator”.  I don’t have that radio, but some radios have this feature.

1 hour ago, jenksjr said:

Here's a screen shot showing the Channel Config. The Tail Elimination can be set to 180 degrees, 120 degrees, or none. Default is 180. I tried 120 and None, seemed to make no difference.

ConfigExample.PNG

Do you receive this annoying noise on all of those channels or just some? If just some, which ones?

After seeing this exact same post on a very large Youtuber's video about the HAG1, I decided to pull out my remaining HAG1 (I had 4 but gave away all but one) to see if I could duplicate this, because i did not remember this occurring when I first got and used all of mine..

After 15 seconds of extensive testing I can confirm that this radio DOES add a squelch-tail sound at the end of simplex signal reception and I can find no Reverse-Burst or Squelch Tail Eliminator option in the settings to disable it..  

HOWEVER - i cannot understand how this would be an issue for anyone - it sounds similar to when using a repeater.. it sounds like every walkie-talkie radio you ever see on TV or in the movies.. This, for me, is a non-issue, but it does exist, unlike on most other radios - if you had not pointed it out I would have never even thought twice about it.

OffRoaderX, I appreciate you taking the time to do testing on these radios. There is a Tail Elimination setting when configuring channels in the programming software. I posted snip of the channel programming screen to SteveShannon. The default setting is 180 degrees. The is also a 120 degrees and a none setting. I believe the default his best setting. However, it does seem eliminate the Tail. 

Just got a message from Support. They are wanting me to send the codeplug (configuration) for my radio. Seems like they want to help. We'll see.

Take care