Using GMRS radios to "Inter-chat" on FRS

Question, can I and is it ok to chat between radios on FRS channels, i.e. FRS Ch.1  I am using this for my grandson and me when we go fishing and can chat with each other.  Also do I have to use my call sign? New to GMRS and want to keep it "legal"

Thanks WSEA768

Technically? If you're on a GMRS radio, you're supposed to use your callsign.

Practically? On simplex? Just talking amongst 'your group' (as you would be here) and not talking to random people out on the airwaves? As far as anyone else knows, you're on an FRS radio too.
Out hiking, at the race track, on a road trip and only talking within our group, we just use names.

Talking through a repeater, I always use my CS. But 99% of my use is simplex talking to friends & family.

27 minutes ago, amaff said:

Technically? If you're on a GMRS radio, you're supposed to use your callsign.

Practically? On simplex? Just talking amongst 'your group' (as you would be here) and not talking to random people out on the airwaves? As far as anyone else knows, you're on an FRS radio too.
Out hiking, at the race track, on a road trip and only talking within our group, we just use names.

Talking through a repeater, I always use my CS. But 99% of my use is simplex talking to friends & family.

That's what I was eluding to with my mention of "...honor system." Out on a fishing trip away from a populated area, talking to your grandson who is on an FRS.... you're one step ahead of the game already just by having your license.