Using your GMRS

WSAW899

We use ours all the time for fire evacuations.  Cell coverage is not great and we can immediately communicate with other people that are also helping to evacuate animals in fire areas.  

Also during winter storms when power and cell goes down we can get info in and out and check in with people that may need help.  in the area we live in every one is on dirt roads and not every one has 4wd for mud and snow.  

4 hours ago, WRXP381 said:

We use ours all the time for fire evacuations.  Cell coverage is not great and we can immediately communicate with other people that are also helping to evacuate animals in fire areas.  

Also during winter storms when power and cell goes down we can get info in and out and check in with people that may need help.  in the area we live in every one is on dirt roads and not every one has 4wd for mud and snow.  

Same as what 381 said...

That's an excellent use example. I'm glad that the GMRS band is available. The higher output of 5W for handheld transceivers opens up a wider range of uses than MURS, FRS can provide.

A point to point means of communication is still the gold standard when speed is needed. Add in a repeater and you've got a robust platform.

1 hour ago, back4more70 said:

I have yet to use any radio in an emergency.  If I need to, I will use my 50 watt mobile on 2M, 70CM, and GMRS to cry out.  Whoever answers first wins!

Have used a radio twice in an emergency. Both times it was on 2m using an Autopatch on a repeater. Both before we had cellphones.

First instance was when we had a landline phone outage and neighbors wife was having a medical emergency involving her pregnancy. Called 911 on the repeater Autopatch. EMS came, baby and momma saved.

Second one, we were up on Lake Wabigoon near Dryden, ON fishing. Motor conked out, wind came up and we were headed into a boulder strewn shoreline. Called the resort on the repeater Autopatch and owner came blasting across the lake to our rescue.

Second example was not necessarily a life or death emergency, but definitely was to protect property.

Used GMRS once in a minor boating incident; was on a lake in northern MN and ran the pontoon out of gas. Called wifeypoo on the HT and she had the resort owner run me out a 5 gal. gas tank. (small lake only about 3 by 5 miles wide). No cell service in the area, still isn't to date.

5 minutes ago, Davichko5650 said:

Have used a radio twice in an emergency. Both times it was on 2m using an Autopatch on a repeater. Both before we had cellphones.

First instance was when we had a landline phone outage and neighbors wife was having a medical emergency involving her pregnancy. Called 911 on the repeater Autopatch. EMS came, baby and momma saved.

Second one, we were up on Lake Wabigoon near Dryden, ON fishing. Motor conked out, wind came up and we were headed into a boulder strewn shoreline. Called the resort on the repeater Autopatch and owner came blasting across the lake to our rescue.

Second example was not necessarily a life or death emergency, but definitely was to protect property.

Used GMRS once in a minor boating incident; was on a lake in northern MN and ran the pontoon out of gas. Called wifeypoo on the HT and she had the resort owner run me out a 5 gal. gas tank. (small lake only about 3 by 5 miles wide). No cell service in the area, still isn't to date.

This points to one real serious advantage of ham vs. GMRS: auto patch. It’s prohibited in GMRS and widely used on 2 meter repeaters. 

13 minutes ago, SteveShannon said:

This points to one real serious advantage of ham vs. GMRS: auto patch. It’s prohibited in GMRS and widely used on 2 meter repeaters. 

True - although both the incidents I mentioned happened years ago - early 90's and well before I had my GMRS license or cellphone.  But there's not many autopatches on these days, at least in my area. Think there's only one still in service hereabouts. 

Call this emergency adjacent. A couple of weeks ago my wife and I took our dog to the beach and on the drive home I had the scanner running on my Icom mobile when I picked up a call on the Papa Repeater system. A man had fallen in his garage, spent an hour crawling to get his radio and called for someone to call a lift assist in for him. I looked at my wife, she grabbed her phone and I reached for the mic, someone else grabbed the call before I could and he did an incredible job, asked all the right questions and relayed the info to the local (local to the person in distress) authorities in real time. Sometimes the right tool is the one you can reach.