FRS/GMRS Frequencies and programming requirements

WSDA306

Question

image.thumb.jpeg.93075c7dccd7ed1b10a426b5842d5c79.jpeg

Few observations/questions about programming my GMRS and FRS radios.

A. May be a dumb question but, why do all the radio manufacturers put freq 462.5500  as channel 15 since its a lower freq than 462.5625 (channel 1).  Seems like it should be channel 1,  Same for every channel after that freq 16-22.

B. In programming my radios, I have 4 different brands of FRS (16 channel, essentially the same radio, Zastone X6, Retevis R22, Baofang T20) + TidRadio M11 22ch.  And also my TD-H3 which is GMRS.  The reason, these china radios all come preprogrammed with the wrong frequencies, and I want them all to be able to talk to each other.  I have programmed them all and they all now talk to each other but Im not sure exactly what this NFM/FM is.  I put all of the FRS radios as NFM like this chart shows, and my GMRS as either FM or NFM.

C. Also looking at this chart, it seems the FCC decided not to give GMRS it's own frequency space, essentially it's the same as FRS, so the only thing you get by purchasing a GMRS license is the ability to broadcast in higher power and connect to a repeater?  

D. The FCC page says that the authorized bandwidth for GMRS is either 12.5 or 20Khz.  However when I read in the data for my GMRS radio into Chirp, there is no setting for the bandwidth.  Is this set automatically?

4 minutes ago, SteveShannon said:

But in fact how would anyone know and why would they care. 

Some users try to stay "legal" while the enforcement agency still exists.  The fact that someone you're talking to doesn't know what type of setup you're using (unless they ask, which they often do at least on HAM) doesn't make it OK.  The rationale that you're not likely to get caught can be used for many other things if you choose to take the risk.  But that won't-get-caught approach is not how our system of government is intended to operate.