Why are GMRS repeaters and GMRS community lacking in Utah?

Livingstack

Question

I've been a HAM for 10 years, and just getting into GMRS to help my family (who aren't capable of becoming HAMS) communicate with myself and others for preparedness reasons.  For how large the HAM community is here in Utah (Especially Utah County) I'm surprised there isn't more GMRS support and adoption here. Does anyone know why? What are the roadblocks? Has anyone tried getting local community/government support for it as well?

9 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Livingstack said:

I've been a HAM for 10 years, and just getting into GMRS to help my family (who aren't capable of becoming HAMS) communicate with myself and others for preparedness reasons.  For how large the HAM community is here in Utah (Especially Utah County) I'm surprised there isn't more GMRS support and adoption here. Does anyone know why? What are the roadblocks? Has anyone tried getting local community/government support for it as well?

Maybe it's a Utah county problem. In Salt Lake county I can hit Capital (20, Ensign Peak), West1 (15, Oquhirs), East1, East2, Ogden, Promontory, Stansbury (if I'm in the northern part of the county), Bountiful, one in Sandy (GMZ01). And a couple others I don't use because they're rather short range. Capital, West1, Promontory, and Ogden provide very good coverage in the valley, foothills and benches.

I hear nets on Ogden, Promontory, West1, and Capital. There is a simplex hobby net Sunday at 8 (can't remember the channel), and neighborhood self preparedness FRS/GMRS simplex nets on several channels Sunday afternoons and evenings.

In 2m and 70cm I hear nets and traffic on repeaters in Draper, Lehi, Farnsworth Peak, and Ensign Peak, as well as some very short range ones in Sandy. I don't listen in Utah County much, though. If there aren't enough repeater options in Utah County, you might approach one of the 2m or 70cm owners and ask to work together getting a GMRS repeater on their ham tower.

It really depends on the local ham groups a lot. As an amatuer radio operator you know a properly set up repeater can be pricey to install and operate.

Although places like your where there are an abundance of out door activities I agree it probably would be nice to have several overlapping repeaters. But who is going to foot the bill? Government, nah they probably have their own setup and put low value on a public available system.

In our area we got super lucky. Old federal communications guy with a bunch of old left over gear public saftey repeaters, personal professional grade repair instruments, the knowledge of 500+ of us radio geeks in his head. Just to let you understand Marc, from the mygmrs, is probably the only guy that could pick up when he is taken from us. But even Marc, whom by the way managed some of the local ham emcom repeaters will probably admit he can't even shake a stick at him. Actually, Marc is one of the few hams that I think our friend even likes or thinks is knowledgeable.

With a lot of handshake and his time we probably have coverage that some cell phone providers stare at and go can we do that?

If you want it you might have to champion it. Both financially and with the knowledge.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, Livingstack said:

Go 1 county north where they won't ever shut up on the repeaters 😂

Ok not quite, there's often down time, but man when they get a rag chew going, it GOES.

But also, "GMRS community" is a weird concept. MOST people (normal people, not weirdos on here) use GMRS as a communications method while doing a hobby, not a hobby in and of itself. So while there IS a community (check out the Utah GMRS facebook group if you're on there), it's never going to have the critical mass of "we're all radio geeks doing radio geek stuff and getting together to talk about radios as much as possible" that you will with hams.

It's kinda like wondering why there isn't more of an FRS community out there. Maybe there is, but that's not what people have FRS radios for, by and large.

1 hour ago, amaff said:

Go 1 county north where they won't ever shut up on the repeaters 😂

Ok not quite, there's often down time, but man when they get a rag chew going, it GOES.

But also, "GMRS community" is a weird concept. MOST people (normal people, not weirdos on here) use GMRS as a communications method while doing a hobby, not a hobby in and of itself. So while there IS a community (check out the Utah GMRS facebook group if you're on there), it's never going to have the critical mass of "we're all radio geeks doing radio geek stuff and getting together to talk about radios as much as possible" that you will with hams. It's kinda like wondering why there isn't more of an FRS community out there. Maybe there is, but that's not what people have FRS radios for.

Yeah Capital and Ogden repeaters, and more recently West1 get some socialites on them. Promontory occasionally too. But Capital particularly. Not all day, but when they do light up it's hard to break in with a question, and it can go on for 90 minutes.

I've never said more than three sentences to a stranger on a repeater, but it's pretty easy to get a response to equipment and propagation tests.

As for FRS nets: Some local church groups run emergency preparedness simplex nets within their neighborhoods, and those tend to be a mix of GMRS and FRS users checking in.

Posted (edited)
On 8/13/2024 at 8:02 AM, dosw said:

Maybe it's a Utah county problem. In Salt Lake county I can hit Capital (20, Ensign Peak), West1 (15, Oquhirs), East1, East2, Ogden, Promontory, Stansbury (if I'm in the northern part of the county), Bountiful, one in Sandy (GMZ01). And a couple others I don't use because they're rather short range. Capital, West1, Promontory, and Ogden provide very good coverage in the valley, foothills and benches.

I hear nets on Ogden, Promontory, West1, and Capital. There is a simplex hobby net Sunday at 8 (can't remember the channel), and neighborhood self preparedness FRS/GMRS simplex nets on several channels Sunday afternoons and evenings.

In 2m and 70cm I hear nets and traffic on repeaters in Draper, Lehi, Farnsworth Peak, and Ensign Peak, as well as some very short range ones in Sandy. I don't listen in Utah County much, though. If there aren't enough repeater options in Utah County, you might approach one of the 2m or 70cm owners and ask to work together getting a GMRS repeater on their ham tower.

Ok I'm definitely a noob to GMRS, but I thought GMRS was limited to 70 cm...? There are FCC allocations for GMRS on 2m too? Or did I just misunderstood the context of 2m and 70cm nets in Draper, Lehi, etc...

Edited by Livingstack
misspelling

17 minutes ago, Livingstack said:

Ok I'm definitely a noob to GMRS, but I thought GMRS was limited to 70 cm...? There are FCC allocations for GMRS on 2m too? Or did I just misunderstood the context of 2m and 70cm nets in Draper, Lehi, etc...

GMRS is 65cm.  You are correct, there is no 2m GMRS   That comment referred to ham nets, not GMRS

GMRS is intended for direct personal use, not an alternate ham band.  Something closer to CB

On 8/13/2024 at 6:41 AM, Livingstack said:

Why would government step in. It’s not governments job to put up gmrs repeaters.   I’d suggest you look at the fcc site by zip code and see how many gmrs users are near you.  That way you can see how much interest you may have.  Then talk with local ham clubs and tower owners.  See if you can split the cost with a group of people for a repeater, co-ax, antenna, and site rental.    Or maybe some one is willing to host a tower at a home property?  

13 hours ago, Livingstack said:

I believe @dosw was referring to listening to the Innermountain Intertie nets on 2M (which is allowed, even with no license), and potentially working with someone who has a 2m repeater set up already in Utah county on potentially adding a GMRS repeater.

6 minutes ago, amaff said:

I believe @dosw was referring to listening to the Innermountain Intertie nets on 2M (which is allowed, even with no license), and potentially working with someone who has a 2m repeater set up already in Utah county on potentially adding a GMRS repeater.

Correct. There are many well placed 2m and 70cm ham repeaters in Utah County. I was suggesting that getting to know people in the ham community may facilitate a conversation on getting a GMRS repeater set up at one of those well placed ham sites.