Immediate family use of gmrs callsign

Now that Randy has officially accepted blame (thank you, Sir), its safe for me to start some trouble....

6 hours ago, WRXB215 said:

The way I understand the intent of this regulation is that when the licensee and his family are taking part in some sort of outing together, the licensee can hand out GMRS radios to his family members and allow them to use the radios and call sign during the event. Using the call sign of a licensee who lives in another state to rag chew locally seems to be a stretch to me.

2 hours ago, Hoppyjr said:

Good thing you’re not in charge.

As Steve posted above, 95.1705(f)(2) says "The licensee must maintain access to and control over all stations authorized under its license."  Being 4 hours away is definitely not maintaining "access to and control over" the licensee's station.  While we don't know the actual intent of the rule, based on the way the paragraph is written, I am inclined to agree with @WRXB215 interpretation of the rule.

6 hours ago, WRXB215 said:

The way I understand the intent of this regulation is that when the licensee and his family are taking part in some sort of outing together, the licensee can hand out GMRS radios to his family members and allow them to use the radios and call sign during the event. Using the call sign of a licensee who lives in another state to rag chew locally seems to be a stretch to me.

I agree.

4 hours ago, marcspaz said:

As Steve posted above, 95.1705(f)(2) says "The licensee must maintain access to and control over all stations authorized under its license."  Being 4 hours away is definitely not maintaining "access to and control over" the licensee's station.  While we don't know the actual intent of the rule, based on the way the paragraph is written, I am inclined to agree with @WRXB215 interpretation of the rule.

And as @WRXB215 Stated earlier in the tread... it might be more appropriate for her to user your sister's callsign if she lives closer... use it as unit two or something.

We had this discussion a few times while getting our club interested in a GMRS repeater and while we were in the testing phase. Opinions varied with club members about the same as it does here. And the conversation got heated  at times too. We even had one guy say "GMRS would cover the entire state of Arkansas"

Here is just my humble opinion, which very well could be wrong. Immediate family means just that and doesn't include one's 2nd, 3rd, 4th cousins etc, etc. It's also my opinion that giving mom or grandma a radio when they live in a different state is not right either. Now handing out a bunch of radios at a family gathering would be perfectly fine. Again all of this is just my opinion, right or wrong.  Remember everyone is entitled to their own opinion. as long as they don't try to force others to fell the same way.

28 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

Here is just my humble opinion, which very well could be wrong. Immediate family means just that and doesn't include one's 2nd, 3rd, 4th cousins etc, etc. It's also my opinion that giving mom or grandma a radio when they live in a different state is not right either. Now handing out a bunch of radios at a family gathering would be perfectly fine. Again all of this is just my opinion, right or wrong.  Remember everyone is entitled to their own opinion. as long as they don't try to force others to fell the same way.

I agree with you. The actual relationships allowed to use a license are very specifically defined in the regulations, as is the requirement that the licensee/owner of the radio be able to access and control the use of the radio at all times.  But humans being humans, people will always look for ways to stretch regulations or complain about the government’s regulatory authority.  A conversation like this will never be settled.

4 hours ago, WRQC527 said:

All this back-and-forth over how many people you can cram under a $35 license. Seems like if these brothers, sisters and nephews ponied up $5 each, they could buy mom her own license. Happy birthday mom!

I like how you think. Just get mom her own license, isn’t she worth it?

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/14/2024 at 10:24 PM, marcspaz said:

Hi Marc!  Not trying to be contrary, although I do have a knack for it at times, but consider the following scenario.  Your wife (or any GMRS licensee's wife) is about to take your (or their) kids to visit her parents, four hours away.  Your job won't let you off to make this trip with them.  She has a GMRS mobile in her car and operates under your license, as your kids occasionally do, also.  She has packed enough GMRS ht's to allow one for herself and each of the kids.  The kids love exploring the expansive farm their grandparents own and the radios provide a measure of convenience and safety while they are away from the house.  You (or any licensee) see what she is doing.  You go out to the car and disconnect the microphone from her mobile radio.  You also collect all of the GMRS ht's she packed and replace them with non-licensed FRS radios you had laying around from the days before you took the plunge and got into GMRS.  She is walking to the car to be sure everything is packed before getting the kids ready to get in the car.  She encounters you, walking towards the house; a mobile mic and several GMRS ht's burdening your arms.  The dialog that follows goes something like this:

Wife: "Where are you going with my mobile mic and the GMRS ht's????"

Licensee:  "You will be four hours away and  95.1705(f)(2) says "The licensee must maintain access to and control over all stations authorized under its license."  Being 4 hours away is definitely not maintaining "access to and control over" the licensee's station.  Sorry, but I am not risking the sanctity of my license by trusting you guys with GMRS radios while you are four hours away."

Being this is a family-oriented site, I will not go further with the dialog which followed. 😁   Yes, this is a reduction to absurdity, but there are some people out there in the world who practice absurdity and practice it often.

Going back and reading the original poster's comment, his mom will be using ht's and simplex to communicate with family.  I doubt anyone will notice or know if they are using GMRS or FRS since all frequencies are shared, except for repeater inputs.  In fact, if they don't use call signs or have a license, I doubt anyone would care on simplex.  The only way anyone would probably care is if his mom finds she enjoys chatting on repeaters in the area.  In most areas I am aware of, if on a repeater, all the owner(s) cares about is that you are using a valid call sign not pirated from someone without their permission.  I know the repeater that I am part owner of, that is all we care about.  Of course, there are some really an-l owners out there, too.  In my state, there is one guy who I understand, wants to know your name and call, and the names, Unit numbers, and their relation to you, of anyone operating under your call, before granting permission to use his repeaters.  🙄  In another part of the state, the owner wants to know what make and models of radios you will be using. 🙄   My group, we just want you to ID and generally follow the rules.  Any discrepancies regarding relation to people using your call sign or type of equipment is between you and the FCC, as if they care.

On 8/15/2024 at 8:31 AM, WRUU653 said:

I like how you think. Just get mom her own license, isn’t she worth it?

Good point.

Dear Mom,

How are you doing?

The siblings and I know you are short on funds, and cannot make this months mortgage payment, so we got together and chipped in.

You now have a GMRS license! So exciting!

Anyway, Love you!

Your kids.

(Yes, im going to hell 8-P )

@Raybestos integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking. I try to have integrity, but we all have moments of weakness. 

I didn't write the rules. Like many others, I just interpret them the best I can and honor them with all the integrity I can muster. 

15 minutes ago, marcspaz said:

@Raybestos integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking. I try to have integrity, but we all have moments of weakness. 

I didn't write the rules. Like many others, I just interpret them the best I can and honor them with all the integrity I can muster. 

As we all should.  

That scenario Raybestos described is just about any situation a family might use GMRS for.  Going to the beach, a campsite are all going to be a hour or so away from the "home base" where you have control.

What if the home base is the mobile in the car?  Now you are in full control because you brought it with you.  I had HTs when I signed up for my license.  Is that my "control" unit?  My next was the mobile unit in my truck.  My base station was last.

So if I bring that 1st HT with my I have all the control I need over it and my license.

6 hours ago, LeoG said:

That scenario Raybestos described is just about any situation a family might use GMRS for.  Going to the beach, a campsite are all going to be a hour or so away from the "home base" where you have control.

What if the home base is the mobile in the car?  Now you are in full control because you brought it with you.  I had HTs when I signed up for my license.  Is that my "control" unit?  My next was the mobile unit in my truck.  My base station was last.

So if I bring that 1st HT with my I have all the control I need over it and my license.

This has nothing to do with a “control unit”, just the ability of the license holder to impose a modicum of control over the use of their license and stations, remembering that they are responsible for the actions of everyone they authorize to use their stations. 
99.9% of the time nobody would know, but it doesn’t change the requirement. 

15 hours ago, Raybestos said:

Wife: "Where are you going with my mobile mic and the GMRS ht's????"

15 hours ago, Raybestos said:

"You will be four hours away. Sorry, but I am not risking the sanctity of my license by trusting you guys with GMRS radios while you are four hours away."

Soooo, he’s single now? 🤔 

edit: I guess we know why she’s packing up and heading to the parents. 🤣

Edited by WRUU653

53 minutes ago, SteveShannon said:

This has nothing to do with a “control unit”, just the ability of the license holder to impose a modicum of control over the use of their license and stations, remembering that they are responsible for the actions of everyone they authorize to use their stations. 
99.9% of the time nobody would know, but it doesn’t change the requirement. 

No one can control another at a distance.  If all of a sudden one of your users goes crazy and starts rants of a raving lunatic there is little you can do about it immediately.  Eventually you can take the radio away.