SWR Question/Guidance

tlcsr66

Question

I was setting up a new AR-5RM i decided to test the swr level for the antenna in the box  the meter showed 3-4. I started testing my other antennas. Some of the antennas were kind of high, 6-7.

Then I noticed while keying the radio if I touched the swr meter the reading would drop, in some cases down to 1.1-1.5. As soon as it stopped touching the meter the readingbwould shoot back up. I tested the antennas on frequencies 462-467.

Could the antennas be having a grounding issue or is there something else I'm overlooking?

Thanks for any help.

7 answers to this question

8 minutes ago, tlcsr66 said:

I was setting up a new AR-5RM i decided to test the swr level for the antenna in the box  the meter showed 3-4. I started testing my other antennas. Some of the antennas were kind of high, 6-7.

Then I noticed while keying the radio if I touched the swr meter the reading would drop, in some cases down to 1.1-1.5. As soon as it stopped touching the meter the readingbwould shoot back up. I tested the antennas on frequencies 462-467.

Could the antennas be having a grounding issue or is there something else I'm overlooking?

Thanks for any help.

It’s something you’re overthinking. Checking SWR on handheld radios is simply not accurately accomplished and unnecessary. 

8 minutes ago, tlcsr66 said:

Thanks for the responses. I'm off to to talk to complete strangers about world events on my radio :)

If it were HAM you could talk to strange lonely men about the weather/latest medical issues, but since you are on GMRS you will probably just talk to nobody. However, as someone recently pointed out, radio can be a lot like the movie Beetlejuice. If, on GMRS, you say CQ three times a HAM operator will magically appear to make your life miserable. Good luck.