Newb here…

Guest WSEF413

Guest WSEF413

Good Evening,

I recently bought a Midland GXT67 Pro radio and admittedly I am a rookie. I know very little about GMRS, frequencies, repeaters and general use of my radio. Are there any classes I can take, or tutors I can hire or something along those lines to help me become a more educated operator? I am in Oklahoma to FYI. 

Thank you 

Mike

14 hours ago, Guest WSEF413 said:

Good Evening,

I recently bought a Midland GXT67 Pro radio and admittedly I am a rookie. I know very little about GMRS, frequencies, repeaters and general use of my radio. Are there any classes I can take, or tutors I can hire or something along those lines to help me become a more educated operator? I am in Oklahoma to FYI. 

Thank you 

Mike

There are no real courses available on GMRS and you'll quickly become confused trying to go through the YouTube videos several have put together. I would suggest you go to the ARRL website and look for a ham club in your area. The majority of the hams will be glad to answer your questions and give guidance. Of course, there are some members that will disparage you over your choice of GMRS but don't let them discourage you.

14 hours ago, Guest WSEF413 said:

Good Evening,

Thank you 

Mike

Do you have anyone to talk to? Using the radios and then asking questions is probably the quickest way to learn.  I would recommend finding a ham radio club, even though GMRS isn’t ham radio, because everything you need to learn about your GMRS radio is exactly the same for beginning hams who just want to use vhf or uhf radios, except for the frequencies and license.

Watch videos on YouTube by Notarubicon.  There are many and they cover every aspect.  If his humor bothers you I’ll find some other channel for you.