FCC GMRS Service Operations Page Updated 04 Aug, 2024

15 hours ago, WRYZ926 said:

WOW, I spent most of the day at my local VA hospital to come home to all of this. I'll keep my inter-service rivalry comments to myself (for now). And it looks like I can add another to my ignore list too. 

@OffRoaderX, @marcspaz, @SteveShannon and others are very intelligent and do their research. I might not always agree with them but I do always take into account what they have to say.

And you just let the cat out of the bag  🤣

th-363211237.jpeg

18 hours ago, marcspaz said:

So... talked to a couple friends of mine here in the DC area. We're going to get the ball rolling on this. I appreciate the inspiration. 

This is interesting. I saw that you had previous experience with regulations. Do you think there is a way to make extra frequency allocations specifically for linked repeaters, considering the band is rather limited?

It would be nice to see a prepared and informed group approach the FCC with ideas like this.

1 hour ago, WSCL484 said:

This is interesting. I saw that you had previous experience with regulations. Do you think there is a way to make extra frequency allocations specifically for linked repeaters, considering the band is rather limited?

It would be nice to see a prepared and informed group approach the FCC with ideas like this.

There is definitely possibility to include additional frequency allocations, modulation types (p25/c4fm for example) and modifications to existing rules.  There is a tremendous amount of effort, multiple agency and organization coordination required for identifying potential additional frequencies, expanding an existing service. So, the team will be looking at level of effort and likelihood to succeed.

We are going to need public support in order for any changes to occur.  I am 100% certain that any proposed changes will be socialized in places like like MyGMRS.

We have just started discussing what the makeup of the IPT will look like.  Once the team is selected, the meetings will start.  I suspect this will take some time... and we can't make any promises beyond we will try... but key players are committed. 

45 minutes ago, WRQC527 said:

The way this topic devolved to name-calling and threats reminds me of my favorite movie.

image.png.32fcda82eb0971f13bf1d70f37b938d2.png

I was wait for the "that escalated quickly" meme.

I hate to admit that my way of thinking about this topic or subject is all wrong. I do realize that the General Mobile Radio Service has an intended purpose for short distance two-way voice communication under 100 miles, I assume. I also understand that the General Mobile Radio Service has no business trying to compete with the Amateur Radio Service.

I know it's safe to assume that everyone agrees, GMRS means exactly what it implies. The General Mobile Radio Service is a Service not a hobby!

On the other hand, I can figure out why GMRS has become more popular in recent years. I also realize just as in the Amateur Radio community, the majority individuals who got the BUG from CB radio, even though some won't admit to it. 

However, those individuals decided that they wanted to experience FM or talking on a repeater. Not some much for FM now, since the FCC approved Frequency Modulation on 11-meter Citizen Radio Service in 2021.

So, I guess I have nothing to apologize for and nothing to add. However, I will apologize because some folks might comment No Dah!

Take Care

1 hour ago, Adamdaj said:

I hate to admit that my way of thinking about this topic or subject is all wrong. I do realize that the General Mobile Radio Service has an intended purpose for short distance two-way voice communication under 100 miles, I assume. I also understand that the General Mobile Radio Service has no business trying to compete with the Amateur Radio Service.

I know it's safe to assume that everyone agrees, GMRS means exactly what it implies. The General Mobile Radio Service is a Service not a hobby!

On the other hand, I can figure out why GMRS has become more popular in recent years. I also realize just as in the Amateur Radio community, the majority individuals who got the BUG from CB radio, even though some won't admit to it. 

However, those individuals decided that they wanted to experience FM or talking on a repeater. Not some much for FM now, since the FCC approved Frequency Modulation on 11-meter Citizen Radio Service in 2021.

So, I guess I have nothing to apologize for and nothing to add. However, I will apologize because some folks might comment No Dah!

Take Care

you know,, a lot of folks say 11 meter is dead..  But last i check, (just a few days ago) my 11 meter Galaxy  was busting away..  lots of traffic like the 'good ole' days'. Always fun to make easy contacts with someone on the other side of our country.   And that's just with a Wilson 5000 Mag Mount.   I spent a few hours enjoying the conditions and it seems to be sticking around..    Go get you some of that 11 meter.  .  

2 hours ago, WRUE951 said:

you know,, a lot of folks say 11 meter is dead..  But last i check, (just a few days ago) my 11 meter Galaxy  was busting away..  lots of traffic like the 'good ole' days'. Always fun to make easy contacts with someone on the other side of our country.   And that's just with a Wilson 5000 Mag Mount.   I spent a few hours enjoying the conditions and it seems to be sticking around..    Go get you some of that 11 meter.  .  

11 meter is dead! I'm not going to say that I find that hard to believe, because I do realize that depends on who you ask and where you go. I bet, some old timers who grew up during the CB Radio craze will admit that CB Radio has changed, but CB hasn't really died.

37 minutes ago, Adamdaj said:

11 meter is dead! I'm not going to say that I find that hard to believe, because I do realize that depends on who you ask and where you go. I bet, some old timers who grew up during the CB Radio craze will admit that CB Radio has changed, but CB hasn't really died.

I'm down in the Mojave Desert and have noticed 11 meters 'up kicking' more often  during the peak afternoons to early evening.  Not every day but a good number of them.  Seems the hotter the days are the better the conditions..  I've talked from Alaska to Connecticut and lots into Mexico (they like the Export Frees).. LSB mostly.  CB is not close to the early 70's but there are days this summer that certainly can put up a good match...   I was gonna sell my 11 meter stuff but think i'll  hold on for now.