gmrs plus air freq

In my opinion, I think the TD-H3 scans too slowly and you may miss some conversations based on how many air band frequencies you will be scanning.  I purchased the Quansheng k6 and it receives air band, and I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly it scans.  My go to though, is a Yaesu FT-60.  I like that radio so much I bought a second.

I hope this helps.

It’s not mobile, it’s handheld, but it’s a real scanner designed for the air band. This will allow you to select a GMRS radio for its GMRS performance rather than worrying about including air band, but the KG1000G that Gil recommended above is an excellent GMRS radio!:

https://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/15328?gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD_uYzJoyN5lXiCWSPx0R_fYtfIf1&gclid=CjwKCAjwuMC2BhA7EiwAmJKRrC3HmXpv8iPzAbs3NiYJFCWSdTwqoaVhXNEf37LsgmOidxGQ-ImHqhoCKU0QAvD_BwE

38 minutes ago, LeeBo said:

The TID Radio H3 and the Baofeng AR-5RM both have airband frequencies. But as previously stated, both scan really slow unless all you’re scanning is a few airband frequencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The AR-5RM is not capable of transmitting at 0.5w, and as such, isn't appropriate for channels 8-14. Its low power is closer to 2.5w +/- 0.3w. It's also not type approved, of course.

I like my two way radios, but when I need a scanner I use a scanner. Even a 25 year old Pro-92 scans faster than a modern Baofeng, at around 20-25 channels per second. I think a UV5G Plus scans around five channels per second. It takes a Baofeng just over four seconds to get through all 22 GMRS channels. It takes a 25 year old dedicated scanner a second.

Let's say that at 25kHz spacing in the air band a Baofeng is 2x faster than scanning set channels, at 10 steps per second. Even a 25 year old dedicated scanner searches through frequency bands at around 50 steps per second. There are 1160 25kHz steps in the VHF air band.

You get through 1160 steps in 116 seconds with the Baofeng.

You get through 1160 steps in 24 seconds with an old dedicated scanner.

Scanning isn't what two-way radios are optimized for.

The AR-5RM is not capable of transmitting at 0.5w, and as such, isn't appropriate for channels 8-14. Its low power is closer to 2.5w +/- 0.3w. It's also not type approved, of course.

Who said anything about transmitting? The OP asked “is there a gmrs mobile radio that has air frequencies to listen to?”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that scanning isn’t the likely use case here. 

4 hours ago, WSEG508 said:

ok thanks, my son is getting ready to start training as a pilot so i wanna listen in. Any who thanks for the info.

More likely in this case you will know the frequency of the aircraft and airport so if you are hanging out by the airport while your son is getting lessons you can listen to him. Sounds like a cool use of the radio. 

1 hour ago, LeeBo said:

Who said anything about transmitting? The OP asked “is there a gmrs mobile radio that has air frequencies to listen to?”.

I made the assumption that this question: "is there a gmrs mobile radio that has air frequencies to listen to" is asking for a 2-way GMRS radio, that can also listen to air frequencies. The AR-5RM is not a GMRS radio. And though it can be configured to transmit on the GMRS frequencies, it exceeds the GMRS power limit by 5x on channels 8-14. So if he's asking for a GMRS radio, that one should be out of the running unless he is ok with not using it for transmitting on those frequencies. It will, however, listen to air band, GMRS, and so on just fine.

I still like the radio. But someone who wants to buy a GMRS radio that also listens to airband should know that they're getting a radio that doesn't provide a way to stay within the power requirements of GMRS.