GMRS Antenna

WSDU214

Question

Folks, I bought this antenna to set up a base station at my place. I have it on a pole & needed the coaxil cable to connect to it. It seems I bought the incorrect cable. The cables I bought where PL-259 UHF CB Coach cable 15ft, RG58 PL-259 UHF Male to Female. I aso bouth the following adapters: PL259 Male to UHF Female Right Angle Adapter. UHF Male to SO239 Female L Shape 90 degree RF Coach Connector CB Radio. See pictures.

What are the appropriate coaxil cables/adapters I need to order for this antenna. Anybody knows?

GMRSAntenna-2.jpg

GMRSAntenna-1.jpg

CoaxilCable.jpg

Right Angle Adapters.jpg

19 answers to this question

Your best bet is to return that RG58 coax and get some LMR400 or equivalent coax. RG58 is the wrong coax for UHF. 

And from the looks of it, you are going to need a coax with a PL259 on one end and a N Type on the other, or get a PL259 to N tip adaptor.

I agree with wrxb215, the connector on the antenna is an N connector.  Get a piece of lmr400 or m&p Ultraflex 10 that’s the right length. Either get the coax with a PL-259 on the radio end and a male N connector on the antenna end or pick up the correct adapter.

You don’t need the right angle connectors and RG-58 is very lossy at GMRS frequencies.

Thank you all for your input on this. At this time I am breaking my head on getting the correct cables or adaptors in amazon. Please help guys. I am sorry, but I am new to this and I need to set up my base station. On the antenna end seems to be a male N connector. See picture

GMRS Antenna-3.jpg

NmaleConnector.jpg

No, that’s a female N connector. The center is a tiny socket with spring fingers. 
We already told you what to get:

1. LMR400 or equivalent cable with pl259 on both ends. 
2. Adapter with SO239 on one side and N male on the other side. 

Or call DX Engineering and order a DXE400 cable with an N male on one end and PL259 on the other. 

@SteveShannon, sorry. Just saw this message. I finally got around setting up the temporary base station. Please refer to the youtube links provided here. Welcome your feedback on it. I am eventually planning on using a repeater like the RT97 in place. For now it seems I have something that works after testing. 

Temporary Anttenna set up: 

Temporary base station set up:

Be very careful.  Your 4x4 post and antenna are within very easy striking distance of your electrical service entrance. 230 volts can definitely kill you. It looks like the translucent white zip tie is what keeps it from tipping.  Those zip ties are subject to rapid weakening due to UV rays.  Make sure you use something that's UV resistant or better yet a stainless steel cable and move the post far enough away from the service entrance that it cannot strike the overhead service wires.

Why do you want a repeater?  It looks like you have what you need (other than my nit-picking above) right now.

I can't really add anything to what has already been said regarding coax etc.   Regarding the antenna, and your need to raise/lower it in storms,  I am in a very windy area, where we can consistantly get 20-30 mph for days, and have seen gusts to 70mph, so this was my concern regarding antenna etc.   Hindsite what it is I would have put the antenna up another 5ft, however I did not want to attach much supporting hardware etc. (guywires etc).   I only put the antenna up about 10ft, but given our elevation here is around 4000ft its kind of relative.  The repeater I work out of mainly is around 6500ft so it seems to work well.  I have attached a few photos on the tilting mechanism I use, there are much cheaper setups its just what I went with.   I use the antenna in conjunction with a antenna switch, which when in the COM location it grounds the antenna, I was more concerned about static discharge than direct lightening.  your situation may be different.  Best of luck

IMG_2187.JPG

IMG_2178.JPG

IMG_2184.JPG

Very nice set up sir. I like it! Based on your GEOGRAPHICAL circumstance. I am new to all these, so this is a very pro active feedback! Will definitely help me if I face your same geographic circumstance. Since in my case, I am here now, but I may be there later when sheets hit the fan. 

@WSDU214 I will also suggest using some guy rope to help guy the 10 foot pole from moving around or falling over. You will want a rope that is UV resistant. This is what I use for guy rope and it works well.

1/8 inch Black Dacron Polyester Cord - 500 foot spool

Here is a photo of how I guyed my 6 band HF cobweb antenna. I used a satellite j mount and an 8 foot piece of fence post.

cobweb.thumb.jpg.82b758fa6a17ef316f089e77ae8a2256.jpg

The tie off point for the guy ropes is a few inches below the antenna.

2 hours ago, WSDU214 said:

@WRYZ926, interesting set up. Thank for your feedback

You're welcome

That photo is of my 6 band cobweb antenna. It is for 6m, 10m, 12m, 15m, 17m, and 20m bands.

Here is the clamp I used to guy my 2m/70cm antenna and the cobweb antenna.

EZ 43-A Adjustable 3 Way Down Guy Ring for up to 2-1/4" Mast

I put the clamp right below the antennas and tied the guy ropes to the clamp and then found spots below to tie the other end of the ropes to.