Roger Beep

Rulander

7 minutes ago, Rulander said:

I remember back in the CB days they were cool. What's the current opinion in the GMRS world? Id hate to be "That Dork" 🤣🤣

Some people hate to hear them. Many of us simply don’t care. We were able to diagnose one of our member’s microphone issues because we recognized his Roger beep. 
It’s your radio, as long as you’re following the rules operate how you want. 

Totally depends on the repeater owner.  Some say ok some say no.  As far as simplex.  That’s totally your choice.   Nothing cool or uncool about them.   Personally I think it makes you sound like a kid in a back yard with a Walmart bubble pack FRS radio.   But I’d never tell some one to not use them unless on a repeater that has a rule against it. 

I have found that new users like the beep because it is a positive indication that the other party has stopped transmitting.  The radios I hand out for family simplex all have the beep turned on.  Radios I use for repeaters have the beep off.

Either way, it's just not a big deal.

Edit: Added "simplex" for clarification.

28 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

I guess I am a bit ornery, I will turn the Roger beep on just to trigger some people. 🤣

I normally don't use the Roger beep but it doesn't bother me one way or the other.

yea, that weird-O 7 clicks up infatuated with posting memes of himself.  That guy...    Yea  i like posing him off too  🤣

Two things I wish the radio companies would do.

The first one is practical.  Make the Roger Beep Off/On feature a "per-channel" feature.  In other words, you could set the Roger Beep to be on or off on each channel and choose which Roger Beep option, just as you do CTCSS tones.  That way, you could have it "off" on repeaters that prohibit its use and on for simplex and other repeater channels, rather than the global Roger Beep settings that they all have, currently.

The second is a vanity thing, but make nature's original Roger Beep, the squelch tail (.5 to .75 seconds of white noise) as one of the ending Roger Beep options.

17 hours ago, SteveShannon said:

Some people hate to hear them. Many of us simply don’t care. We were able to diagnose one of our member’s microphone issues because we recognized his Roger beep. 
It’s your radio, as long as you’re following the rules operate how you want. 

And there were the power mics with the echo. The echoing mics were kinda cool but I never had one.

We have a courtesy tone on the repeater here because we find it helps new users understand that they reached the repeater, and don't need to keep asking "Is anyone hearing me on the repeater?" Some users still have their roger beep on, so you get a double tone every now and then, but it's not a huge deal. This is because a lot of users also talk on simplex, and they like to have the beep on.

1 hour ago, Raybestos said:

Make the Roger Beep Off/On feature a "per-channel" feature. 

If this was on more radios, that would definitely help our double beep "issue".

1 hour ago, Raybestos said:

Make the Roger Beep Off/On feature a "per-channel" feature.  In other words, you could set the Roger Beep to be on or off on each channel and choose which Roger Beep option

For what it's worth, the much-maligned, but still world-famous Baofeng UV-5R (and perhaps its variants) can be set up to transmit a customizable DTMF series of tones of up to 5 "digits" either on key-up, (BOT), after PTT release (EOT), or both. It can be set up by channel. It's much less annoying than the standard roger beep. I have two radios set up this way with EOT transmissions. 

7 minutes ago, WRQC527 said:

For what it's worth, the much-maligned, but still world-famous Baofeng UV-5R (and perhaps its variants) can be set up to transmit a customizable DTMF series of tones of up to 5 "digits" either on key-up, (BOT), after PTT release (EOT), or both. It can be set up by channel. It's much less annoying than the standard roger beep. I have two radios set up this way with EOT transmissions. 

But a dtmf tone and a roger beep are two TOTALLY differ things that have totally different uses.  It’s like apples and airplanes.   

23 minutes ago, linx said:

We have a courtesy tone on the repeater here because we find it helps new users understand that they reached the repeater, and don't need to keep asking "Is anyone hearing me on the repeater?" Some users still have their roger beep on, so you get a double tone every now and then, but it's not a huge deal. This is because a lot of users also talk on simplex, and they like to have the beep on.

If this was on more radios, that would definitely help our double beep "issue".

But just because they can open squelch and hear the “courtesy” tone does not tell them they are getting voice to and into the repeater.  So one still needs a proper radio check.  Kerchunking the repeat tells them that they are close enough to open squelch and that is all it tells them.  I really wish more people under This.  

1 minute ago, WRXP381 said:

But a dtmf tone and a roger beep are two TOTALLY differ things that have totally different uses.  It’s like apples and airplanes.   

It works for me. It sounds just like a lot of repeater courtesy tones I hear. It's loud enough to work as a courtesy tone. On the Baofeng, I can set the duration of the tone as well.

1 hour ago, WRXP381 said:

But just because they can open squelch and hear the “courtesy” tone does not tell them they are getting voice to and into the repeater.  So one still needs a proper radio check.  Kerchunking the repeat tells them that they are close enough to open squelch and that is all it tells them.  I really wish more people under This.  

If someone is on they will let them know if they are not receiving, and people do radio checks, I guess it is more of an extra assurance. It also lets them know they are on the repeater channel since the tone we use is not shared by anyone's radio. We also provide coverage maps for up to 60mi for 5w handhelds, and so far from testing it's pretty dang accurate. I'm onboard with whatever makes the end user happy.