Roger Beep

Rulander

Out of a gazillion mobile and portables radios I own, only one of my radios has the Roger Beep feature and that is my Midland MXT500 which the feature is not enabled. This radio is one of my loaner radios for my fellow radioless Jeep Creeps so they have trail comm on the runs.

As for the my position on the Roger Beep, I don't care if someone use it or not, it's just another radio thing, like squelch tail, repeater kerchunk, MDC squawk, old LAPD Saber PT-T ID chirp, voting comparator  control circuit status tone blurps, or plain ol' RF Static. Radios and radio systems are prone to emit noises. It's the nature of the beast, it is just part of it.

On 9/11/2024 at 2:09 PM, nokones said:

And there were the power mics with the echo. The echoing mics were kinda cool but I never had one.

I recall when I first got into CB (Class D) in 1970, there were a few, actually a VERY few, guys with an echo feature on their radios.  All of them were running some type of homebrew echo device and all of them sounded very cool.  It was (at least, to me) a rare auditory treat when one of them activated their echo device.  Those echo boxes were very clear and had a resonance and quality to the sound that the store-bought ones never had or never will have.  One guy told me that his was built using the reverb from an old electronic organ.  It was one of the best of all.

Around the late 1970's or early 80's, store-bought echo boxes began to appear.  Every truck driver, for whatever reason, had one.  They didn't just run them on "special occasions", but on every single transmission.  They sounded like absolute $#!^ on the radio.  They made the voice of the user distorted.  With wind and road noise feeding into them, they made hearing what the driver was saying, a real chore.  They were incredibly obnoxious.  I hope they NEVER catch on, on GMRS.

5 hours ago, Raybestos said:

I recall when I first got into CB (Class D) in 1970, there were a few, actually a VERY few, guys with an echo feature on their radios.  All of them were running some type of homebrew echo device and all of them sounded very cool.  It was (at least, to me) a rare auditory treat when one of them activated their echo device.  Those echo boxes were very clear and had a resonance and quality to the sound that the store-bought ones never had or never will have.  One guy told me that his was built using the reverb from an old electronic organ.  It was one of the best of all.

Around the late 1970's or early 80's, store-bought echo boxes began to appear.  Every truck driver, for whatever reason, had one.  They didn't just run them on "special occasions", but on every single transmission.  They sounded like absolute $#!^ on the radio.  They made the voice of the user distorted.  With wind and road noise feeding into them, they made hearing what the driver was saying, a real chore.  They were incredibly obnoxious.  I hope they NEVER catch on, on GMRS.

It was my understanding that most of the microphones that echoed were modified from using a old Vibrasonic (Reverb) that was used back in the 60s connected to your car radio speaker system to listen to Wolfman Jack on XERB while causing the Boulevard.